5503: Disappointment! Acronis DD does not support Vista SP2!

15 replies [Last post]
Igor Fatyanov
Beginner

I was just informed that DD does not support Vista Sp2! So if you are keeping you system updated forget about acronis.

Of course before that I spend time trying to reinstall, then to get to support people....
Why they did not even advised this compatibility issue before ?!

Money gone, time wasted..... I completely disappointed.

See support chat just for fun:

Abhishek Pandey: I understand your issue and will help you resolve it right now.
Abhishek Pandey: Thank you for being on hold. I appreciate your pateince.
Igor Fatyanov: nice to hear
Abhishek Pandey: I want to inform you
Igor Fatyanov: hmm.... so?
Abhishek Pandey: Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 does not support Win_Vista SP2 Version
Igor Fatyanov: lol
Abhishek Pandey: that is why you are facing this problem
Abhishek Pandey: Is there any other issue related to our products and services that I may assist you with today?

Faust
Regular Poster

Worked fine for my Vista SP2 installation but the latest build cannot be installed in W7 although the previous build can.

Igor Fatyanov
Beginner

Official support said that is not supported. See first post.
I also attach system notification that it is uncompatible.

So it seems that both vista and w7 are not supported :((

Only MS DOS ? :)

AttachmentSize
vista.JPG 55.99 KB
Howard Kaikow
Forum Member

Igor Fatyanov wrote:
I was just informed that DD does not support Vista Sp2! So if you are keeping you system updated forget about acronis.

Of course before that I spend time trying to reinstall, then to get to support people....
Why they did not even advised this compatibility issue before ?!

Money gone, time wasted..... I completely disappointed.

See support chat just for fun:

Abhishek Pandey: I understand your issue and will help you resolve it right now.
Abhishek Pandey: Thank you for being on hold. I appreciate your pateince.
Igor Fatyanov: nice to hear
Abhishek Pandey: I want to inform you
Igor Fatyanov: hmm.... so?
Abhishek Pandey: Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 does not support Win_Vista SP2 Version
Igor Fatyanov: lol
Abhishek Pandey: that is why you are facing this problem
Abhishek Pandey: Is there any other issue related to our products and services that I may assist you with today?

DD does work with Vista SP 2.

You got unlucky, and had a chat with an undertrained, or incompetent, Acronis support person

Howard Kaikow
Forum Member

Igor Fatyanov wrote:
Official support said that is not supported. See first post.
I also attach system notification that it is uncompatible.

So it seems that both vista and w7 are not supported :((

Only MS DOS ? :)

You have the Russian version, which could have bug.

The English version (build 2,160) does work with Vista SP 2

Igor Fatyanov
Beginner

I do not think so. Language libraries are not the cause.
Maybe you vista is not fully updated ?

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

I've used DD (2,160) with Vista Ultimate SP2 for a long time and haven't had any problems with it. I have not tried installing the latest build of DD into anything due to the crash bugs.

Different language versions can be different builds (they often are). There are differences between them that affect functionality in some cases.

In any case, DD is long, long, long, long, long, long overdue for a major update. I just hope that the update or new version (whichever it is) is a good program.

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0

Igor,

I would like to apologize for the misleading information provided by our Live chat operator. We will do our best to prevent this situation from happening in future.

Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 supports Windows Vista SP2. Please see the appropriate article available in our Knowledge base for more information.

Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 doesn't support Windows 7 officially. We have had a separate discussion in this forum, please see this thread.

After installing Acronis Disk Director 10.0 in Windows, you can create Acronis Bootable media with a standalone version of Acronis Disk Director 10.0. You can work with Windows 7 systems by booting from the media you created.

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

C Nelson
Beginner

Oleg,

I have purchased a new Toshiba Laptop (Vista 64bit) that has a mouse pad or I can plug in a USB mouse (wireless).
The Laptop has SATA Hard Drive.
Earlier in the year I was told to download and burn an ISO of DD 10.0.2160_26 to be able to have the pgm recognize SATA HDD's.

When I boot this new Toshiba Laptop off of the ISO disc, the pgm does not recognize the USB mouse or the mouse pad. So I can NOT make use of the ISO program on this laptop. Obvioiusly the version I was told to download from your site was NOT a "FULL' version - which normally "HAS" USB support!

Is there anything that can be done to afford me the use of Disk Director on this laptop??

I also would like to know if I will have this same problem using my copy of True Image 11.0.8101 bootable rescue disk on the same laptop??

Thank you very much for your help in this matter.

Sincerely,

Cin

Igor Fatyanov
Beginner

Oleg,

Finally I revealed that other users were right on their recomendations about using another build.
Maybe you can help me now telling where can I get full english version ?
I managed to download only shareware version from your site.
Maybe I can activate it using my old serial from the box ?

thx

Howard Kaikow
Forum Member

Igor Fatyanov wrote:
I do not think so. Language libraries are not the cause.
Maybe you vista is not fully updated ?

It has latest updates as of, as I recall, yesterday.

Of course, I likely have other different software.
Perhaps, one of the other pieces of software conflicts with DD 10?

Faust
Regular Poster

Oleg wrote:

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0

Igor,

I would like to apologize for the misleading information provided by our Live chat operator. We will do our best to prevent this situation from happening in future.

Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 supports Windows Vista SP2. Please see the appropriate article available in our Knowledge base for more information.

Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 doesn't support Windows 7 officially. We have had a separate discussion in this forum, please see this thread.

After installing Acronis Disk Director 10.0 in Windows, you can create Acronis Bootable media with a standalone version of Acronis Disk Director 10.0. You can work with Windows 7 systems by booting from the media you created.

Thank you.

Yes you have provided a download to make a bootable media disk. However, the isolinux disk does not support USB keyboard and mouse so when booted the user is not able to do anything with it, nice little wheeze that one - how I laughed. However, build 2160 works a treat with Windows 7 so all is not lost.

Howard Kaikow
Forum Member

Faust wrote:
Yes you have provided a download to make a bootable media disk. However, the isolinux disk does not support USB keyboard and mouse so when booted the user is not able to do anything with it, nice little wheeze that one - how I laughed. However, build 2160 works a treat with Windows 7 so all is not lost.

With regard to Vista, several months ago, I reported that the boot disk created by the 2160 Boot builder would not handle the touchpad or laser mouse on my notebook computer.

I downloaded the 2160 .iso, but still the laser mouse was not supported.
My workaround was to get an el cheapo USB mouse for use with the rescue disk

Earlier tonight, I downloaded 2239, naively expecting that the problem had been remedied.
Alas, when using the boot media, the laser mouse is still not supported.

The resue media MUST support all keyboard, mouse, disk drivers sipported by the installed product.

eugene oneill
Beginner

I am running DD10 version 2239 on a HP Pavilion desktop with Vista Home premium.
I have been able to partition the 320 GB disc to provide a partition on which I wish tp load windows XP. Can I do it - can I heck. No reply yet from help desk. Any suggestions anyone. Gene

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Gene,

Is DD not working or are you having problems installing XP? It's not really clear from your post.

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello all,

Cin,

The ISO file you can download from our web site is a full version of Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (the safe version does not include USB, PC Card, or SCSI drivers). I would recommend you to log in to your account and download the latest build of the ISO file (build # 2339) and see if the issue remains.

I am also sending the file for Acronis True Image Home 11 Home via PMs.

Igor,

According to our database, you are an owner of non-English license of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0. You are unable to activate the English build with non-English serial number. I am sending the required information to you via PMs.

Howard,

A possible problem is in USB legacy support. Have you tried to disable it? 

Make sure that  USB legacy support is disabled in BIOS settings (see USB Legacy Support Compatibility).

Gene,

I think I understood what you are speaking about. You want to install Windows XP as a second operating system onto a laptop with Windows Vista installed. Am I correct?

You can do it using Acronis OS Selector. We have the respective article in User Guide for Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 (please see the article 8.2.2 Installing another Windows on a separate partition). User Guide is available here. If you use Acronis OS Selector, Windows XP will not overwrite Windows Vista bootloader.

Please let us know the results. 

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team