5696: Windows 7 and all recent Acronis Products...

30 replies [Last post]
Jerry Smith
Jerry Smith's picture
Regular Poster

It would be REALLY nice if someone from ACRONIS would come out with some REAL information about this problem and ANY solution they are working on. So far it looks like the last good True Image Workstation is ECHO 9.7 build 8206. Anything after that seems to have gone to the dogs. Has Acronis gone to OUTSOURCING for their programming??? If so, for gods sake re-hire your old programming staff. Is anyone at Acronis listening......................................?

Been in computers ( Analog -n- Digital ) since 1962.
Helped land the First man on the Moon.
Acronis Beta tester.
Amiga Beta tester - the Avatar is from my Amiga days...

Philip Smith
Beginner

I couldn't agree more.
It's a damned discrace how loyal Customers are being treated.
I've had other software companies contact me advising of updates to their products to ensure that they work with Windows 7.
Where is Acronis????

Carlton Faulkenham
Beginner

Acronis True Image 2010 backs up multiple partitions on Windows 7 64 Bit Professional system without problem or error. Unfortunately Acronis One-Click Backup decides which 2 partitions to backup and does not seem to allow user interaction to select partitions. One-Click Backup selects an inappropriate set of 2 partitions. One-Click is useless if more than 2 partitions exist unless the user is allowed to select the backed up partitions. In the test setup 2 of 3 Windows partitions were selected and no program or data partitions were selected. One-Click did select the one available external drive to store the *.tib file and effectively backed up the 2 partitions it selected.

carl f

prmorel
Beginner

Recently updated to Windows 7. It was why I purchased Acronis in the first place: wanted to own a system image in case something went wrong. Acronis worked 98% fine in Windows Vista.

Once I updated to Windows 7 and found that everything was working fine I tried to re-install the Acronis product. Install told me that there was a newer version (Build 6029) I did not have the choice but to install this new version.

Installation went ok.
First taks: create a boot disk: ok.

Second task: backup the system:
I tried it at least 10 times with the same result.
ACRONIS DOES ABOUT 1% OF THE JOB, THEN TELLS ME THAT IT NEEDS 47,910 DAYS TO COMPLETE THE JOB. (MOST OF US WILL BE DEAD BY THEN, SO WHY BACKUP IN THE FIRST PLACE?) AND, AS A COMPLEMENT, IT HANGS MY SYSTEM SO BAD THAT I CAN'T EVEN USE THE THREE FINGER SALUTE OR TASK MANAGER. ONLY THE OLD ATX SWITCH WILL ALLOW ME TO GET OUT OF THERE. WHAT GIVES? ACRONIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS 7!?

tom
Beginner

Is it supposed compatible with windows 7?
It doesn't work at my side and I can't try.
Installation without warning or error and if I try to start TI2010 ask every time for restart.
Is somebody outside with a working version?

Alexander Stirn
Beginner

No working version here. When backing up my Windows 7 system TI 2010 hangs after about 25 percent is finished. Hard reset is necessary. According to experience with TI 2009 you should expect a working version no earlier than Spring 2010.

Ray Kirkwood
Beginner

I have TI 2010 working perfectly on Windows 7, (as created by an upgrade from Vista, which went virtually perfectly, extensive set of programs and all settings up and working). The new boot disc even shows the correct 'time remaining' at last on a restore! I have used the boot disc to do a restore of system from disk image (stored on another internal hard drive) after some trouble with HP software (they are always way behind!).

Not yet sure of using whatever edition it is now of Disk Director (available from within the 2010 downlaod and automatically placed on the boot disk menu!), as it does not initialise properly, so have found and used successfully Easeus Partion Manager (free) which is likely to blow Acronis out of the picture if they don't very quickly do something about DD.

I opened a 'ticket' more than 2 weeks ago about DD and 7 and have received no reply.

Ed Feins
Forum Member

DO NOT DOWNLOAD Version 6029 of TI 2010 it is BROKEN!!! (At least under Win 7 - haven't tried other OSes) 

There are at least 3 other threads here loaded with similar issues and yet Acronis doesn't acknowledge it. As early as yesterday their tech(less) support replies to every email question about TI2010 with a link to download 6029.

Ray Kirkwood
Beginner

I have downloaded 6029 and it runs perfectly and saved an incremental image of a complicated system partition very swiftly.

Installation problems for all software very machine system status dependent. I use Revo Uninstaller (free) to root out all previous left-over registry references when uninstalling previous versions and switch off av temporarily on reinstall.

Best way to Acronis contact tech support is via live chat facility. I had an immediate response in seconds from a technician. I wanted to know the Win 7 status of Disk Director (do not use at present as it is 'incompatible'). Update is in process but was not forthcoming with a date. Email promised to all registered owners when ready.

Michael Gaydar
Forum Member

It's nice that you think we are all nuts, but the fact of the matter is that TI2010 is not working on otherwise well constructed, stable systems. If it works for you, that is the exception rather than the rule.
This current build 6029 is junk and a lot of people are upset. I guarantee you it is not becuase I have registry problems or rogue software on my machine. I have been working with computers for over 25 years back in the day when you had to learn assembly language. This is a product problem, not a Customer problem.
Acronis needs to address the ligitamate concerns of it's Customers or we will start spamming Amazon, CNET, Best Buy, and any other software sites. Eventually, people will stop downloading and buying the software.

Farentino
Forum Member

I have used True Image for the past five years. Never have I had problems like these. I am now using Windows 7 X64 (native) and TIH just won't have it. I have created backups successfully but cannot restore ANY image. TIH crashes every time I select an image to restore. All versions of TIH 2010 crash including boot CD versions. THIS PROGRAM IS SUPPOSED TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF MY DATA? Acronis needs to re-think how they're handling the release of this product. This isn't a spreadsheet program, folks. It's a backup of my whole f*****g system!

Ron Rothenberg
Beginner

Well, I'm a relatively new user of TI, having purchased TI 2009 less than 4 mos ago for use on my Vista machine. I just purchased a powerhouse Win 7 PC to replace it and have no idea of whether TI 2009 will run on it. It sounds like TI 2010 is a disaster, so I'm assuming that I'm out of luck with my 4 mos old purchase.

It would sure be nice if Acronis would provide better documentation and updates in this important area. Microsoft sales of Win 7 are through the roof, so this is going to become a HUGE issue for Acronis if not dealt with properly. Frankly, the right thing to do would be to give all registered users who have purchased their software within 6 mos a no charge upgrade to a version that runs on Win 7. I have not had a problem with any of my other software packages under Win 7, so there's really no excuse for the Acronis problems!

Vladimir Kelman
Beginner

I use 6029 build of Acronis True Home om my Windows 7 64 bit machine and it works perfectly.
Except... one very serious issue: if Windows is in a sleep mode, Acronis scheduler does not awake it. It was also reported, that during a long backup Windows falls asleep... I was afraid to test it and was crazy enough to move a mouse very 10 minutes or so to prevent Windows from going asleep. But even the fact that Acronis cannot figure out a way to awake Windows is very frustrating. Scheduled backups are supposed to work without my personal help, aren't they?

George Jorgensen
Beginner

I, for one, am very disappointed in Acronis. Something has happened internally there and it is causing them to lose a lot of business. I am a disk director Customer and they are simply ignoring disk director as far as windows 7 is concerned. They purposely put in a road block making it impossible to load the new disk director update on Win 7. Well, it's not new now. Their Customer support, which used to be the best, is now really bad. You get cookie cutter responses from their support people. Their support is all outsourced and half the time their support responses don't make a lot of sense. I have given up on ever seeing disk director 11, which is suppose to run on Win 7.

Sean Tailby
Beginner

Yeah 6029 is a pile of crap I have 8 acronis products, if they do not figure it out soon then I will by buyng no more... Such a shame.

Richard Conley
Beginner

All of you folks are scaring me. I just paid to upgrade to 2010 and am expecting my new system to be delivered by the builder in two days. It was my plan to install the upgrade on the new Windows 7 system and then to use it to restore the files from my old XP system. It sounds like I might have made a mistake.

Lester Francois
Lester Francois's picture
Beginner

Try it out for yourself. While there are people with major issues, a lot of people have at most minor issues and thus don't post on these forums. You may not have any issues at all and you can always ask for a refund. It is way too early to panic.

History does not repeat itself but it does rhyme!

Peter Feichtmeir
Beginner

I have a very complex Windows 7 x64 machine (a two disk raid 1, a 3 disk raid 5, an SSD, & a NAS connected by ethernet.) True Image 2010 has been working fine with the exception of very slow access to create/delete a backup image in the acronis secure zone (ASZ). I cannot seem to remove backups from it after they are created. I have, however, successfully restored from the ASZ images of the main os to the primary drive (C) from a cd boot version of TIH 2010 without any problems. However, this is not a defense of Acronis in any way. I agree with the prior statements of poor tech support with useless scripted responses. Clearly TIH 2010 was released with some huge issues. Hopefully, the company will get its act together soon.

Stu Farnham
Beginner

I have had multiple problems with TIH2010 6053 and am about to fall back to TIH 2009 until they are resolved. I'm running Win7 on an Intel quad core machine. I have one 1TB Intel MSM RAID array with my C:\ drive on a RAID0 partition and my data on RAID1. I have another RAID1 array plus and external 1.5TB RAID1 array for backups.

1. TIH2010 crashes with a bugcheck 9f every time I try to back up my C drive. Backup of my data drive completes successfully
2. TIH2010 causes Windows Explorer to hang. This happens both prior to the bugcheck 9f when backing up my C:\drive and when using nonstop backup on my data drive.

I have also seen the 49K days to complete problem. In my case the backup ended successfully within a couple of hours.

Stu

Roy Sharp
Beginner

PLEASE! can someone from Acronis give us all a Christmas present and sort this out!

Or at least be man enough to tell us what is going on instead of ignoring the thread. This is not a good advert for Quality Support.

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello all,

Thank you for posting your question, I will be happy to help.

Since this thread describes different issues, I am unable to address every case separately. That's why I suggest to install the latest build of the program #6053 and install the latest version of SnapAPI module. Most of the problems described here should be resolved. 

1) Download the latest build. You can learn more on how to download the latest build here.

2) Download SnapAPI Build 503. Unpack it and install with Disabled logging:

3) Reboot the computer to complete the changes.

If the issue remains, please let us know about it, I will take care of this thread. 

Peter, I would recommend you to recreate Acronis Secure Zone by means of the latest build of the program. 

Please let us know the results, we should be sure that the program runs flawless for you. If the provided information is not clear or if you have any other question do not hesitate to post them and we will be glad to answer.

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

Neal Campbell
Beginner

Since my WIn7 x64 will not boot (BSOD right after showing the moving wait bars) how do I recover my system? You have taken a $7K computer and made a paperweight out of it, and I do run a business which you have completely disrupted.

I have been a big fan of Acronis, include ATI on all systems I sell but it will be a cold day before I do again. Just get me out of this situation PLEASE!!!

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello Neal,

Thank you for posting your question, I will be happy to help.

If you have a backup of your system partition, you can recover the system to its' previous state. If you haven't created Acronis Bootable Media, please log in to your account, download an ISO file and burn it to a CD disk. Boot the system under Acronis Bootable Media and restore the archive. 

You can find the information on how to download the appropriate ISOLINUX file in this article. Please see this article on how to burn an ISO file to a CD disk. 

Also you should try the Startup Repair option in the System Recovery Options dialog box. If the Startup Repair option does not resolve the issue, use the Bootrec.exe tool. Please see this Microsoft KB article on how to do it. 

Please let us know the results. If the provided information is not clear or if you have any other question do not hesitate to post them and we will be glad to answer.

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

Neal Campbell
Beginner

Hi Oleg

I have done this and it still does the very quick BSOD right after showing the Starting WIndows screen. Is there any file I can remove that will at least get me to a point I can uninstall ATI?

None of my restore points will properly work now, but they did prior to this episode.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Richard Conley wrote:
I just paid to upgrade to 2010 and am expecting my new system to be delivered by the builder in two days. It was my plan to install the upgrade on the new Windows 7 system and then to use it to restore the files from my old XP system.

Richard,

Before trying to restore anything onto your new system, I suggest you image it first.

If you've made an XP files and folders backup then you will be able to restore these, but if you've made a disk image, then all you are going to do is to re-install XP, unless you want to go for a dual boot system.

There is only one company (that I know of) who are advertising some utility software that will actually allow you to migrate all XP programs to your new W7 system, though it won't allow a 32 bit -> 64 bit upgrade.

This company is a direct competitor of Acronis' and lurks in Germany. It would appear they've made a substantial investment into the company that produces Laplink.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

Neal Campbell
Beginner

I tried System Mover on a machine (more out of curiosity than anything else) and its not good. You end up with duplicate stuff all over the place (if Win7 has the same component that System Mover decides to migrate you end up with 2 entries then play Russian Roulette on which one you want).

There is just no way around it, a clean install is the only solution.

I have seen one company that makes your current XP setup a VMWare virtual machine so you can boot into win7 and download the vmware player and use your XP stuff and migrate the applications at your own speed. Thats a better solution.

Roy Sharp
Beginner

I know I'm replying to my own post but...

The SnapAPI fix worked for me! After installing it TIH works fine on Win 7 (backing up and single file restore). I haven't tried an image restore.

Alexander
Alexander's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello all,

Neal, let me assist you with this situation.

First of all, create the image of your system, as Colin correctly suggested. After that, try booting your system in Last Known Boot Configuration:

The description of this process is given below:

1. When your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8.
On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press F8 when the boot menu appears.

2. Use the arrow keys to highlight the Last Known Boot Configuration with Networking option, and then press ENTER.

If this still does not help, let's remove SnapAPI drivers from your system.

1. Boot in Safe Mode (the instructions are the same as for Last Known Boot Configuration, but you should choose Safe Mode at the end)

2. Remove the contents of SnapAPI as it is described in this article.

Quote:
The SnapAPI fix worked for me! After installing it TIH works fine on Win 7 (backing up and single file restore). I haven't tried an image restore

Roy, I'm very glad that you were able to solve the issue by updating SnapAPI.

Additionally to this, you are welcome to ask me any other questions concerning Acronis, and I will assist you further.

Regards,

Alexander Nikolsky

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base

John Steel
Beginner

I have been deligted with Acronis True Image Home; it even works well on Windows 7. However Director Suite is another matter. It works fine on VISTA systems but attempts to install int on Windows 7 systems are blocked. When will they sort this out?

Alexander
Alexander's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello John,

Let me address this query.

Unfortunately that's due to current version of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 does not support Windows 7. We know that this is very important for Customers to get this product for most recent OS, and we're planning to include this support to one of next product releases. The exact time and date are not known, but we will update you as soon as we get the details.

The official information is available in this article.

All information about Windows 7 support in our products is available in this article.

Additionally to this, you are welcome to ask me any other questions concerning Acronis, and I will assist you further.

Best regards,

Alexander Nikolsky

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base

Herbert Tucker
Beginner

Herbert Tucker wrote:
Hi all,
The solution posted above worked for me. I uninstalled TI 2010 and installed build 6053 then I installed snapapi503.msi and all works as it should.
I'm running an Asus Maximus Formula with Intel Q9450, 8 GB RAM, 150GB RAID01 system and 1TB RAID10 data drives with Win7 Pro x64.
Prior to this fix, if I attempted to run TI2010 it would brick my system and the only solution was a hard reboot.