Starting Acronis Loader ...
Press ESC for Menu ...
Press F6 to skip menu ...

and then it boots into Windows XP okay

SADLY today it just hangs ... with the curser flashing after
Press F6 to skip menu ..._

I have tried to boot from other 2 drives but nothing
I have tried to boot from Windows XP CD in CD tray but nothing

Any ideas please?? I apologise but do not know what version of Acronis this is. I have have always just let it boot on its own without pressing any keys or anything

Thanks in advance and kindest rgds

priyp

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

When you tried booting from the CD did you set the CD to boot before the hard drive in the BIOS boot order list?

Another option is to use a BIOS boot menu and select which device to boot. Not all computers have this menu, but most newer ones do.

Do you know if multiple operating systems are installed on the computer (even if you never used them)?

It's possible the OSS files got moved or corrupted. The problem should be fixable by doing an MBR repair or by reactivating OSS (assuming no physical drive problems).

Do you have a DD/OSS bootable CD?

Is your Windows XP CD a standard Microsoft OEM or retail CD?

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello all,

Unfortunately, I am unable to find any records about Acronis software under Paul's account, the exact version of the program is unknown.

If I correctly understand the issue, first of all we should make the system bootable. Paul, have you found Windows installation CD mentioned by Mudcrab? If yes, please perform FixMBR operation (this will overwrite OSS files), the description is available in this article.

If you don't have Windows installation CD, you can fix MBR using Acronis tool.

You can repair the MBR (Master Boot Record) of the hard disk using one of the following methods:

1) Please download special Acronis utility. Use it to create a floppy and boot the machine from the floppy. if the computer has a floppy drive, this method is preferable since you experience some difficulties in booting from a CD disk. 

2) If you prefer to a fix MBR using a CD, then please download special Acronis utility. Use it to create a CD and boot the machine from the CD.

You can find more information on how to burn an ISO image to a CD here.

Please let us know the current state of the issue. 

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

Paul Priddey
Beginner

Oleg & Mudcrab

What wonderful gents you are ... the GOOD NEWS is that pc is up & running again ... THANKYOU soooo much for taking time out to assist. Oleg, I downloaded the Acronis Utility you pointed me to, and I 'burned the ISO image' to a CD, and I booted the pc from this CD. It took 2 or 3 goes at 'pressing any key' to fixMBR but seemed to work in the end. I confess to NOT understanding what it has done.

My concern is whether this a permanent change to the master boot record, or is it temporary? I am frightened to turn the pc off now :-) Is there a way to check and sort this out please?

PC is running Windows XP Pro v2002 SP3

I do not have any recovery discs for this pc, I created a Bootable DVD from my other pc but this was running XP Home, and it 'hung' when I tried to boot (the acronis) pc ... stuck on searching ATAPI <?> drives ??? I also tried booting from a colleagues XP PRO installation CD without success.

Acronis Software I see loaded (Start Programs) is
ACRONIS OS Selector v10.0 (build 2,160)
ACRONIS Disk Director Suite v10.0 (build 2,160)
ACRONIS Disk Editor
ACRONIS Recovery Expert
Bootable Rescue Media Builder
Browse Acronis WebSite

Again, THANKYOU so much for getting me back up & running. I have made a small donation to Alex Feinman for his ISO Recorder v 2.

Your comments re: checking out/altering the master boot record would be of HUGE assistance to me. The pc was a 'home build' for my Dad to to video editing on. It has 3 HDDs. I can only see Windows files on the primary drive C. The other drives all have a directory called BOOTWIZ. Would you suggest removing ACRONIS completely, or just to check/ensure the MBR is 'bypassing' Acronis on bootup, and leave it there??

Cheers for now and THANKYOU once more

Kindest regards

priyp
(LONDON UK)

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

You could uninstall DD if you're not ever going to use it. However, you should be okay leaving it installed. If you do leave it installed, I would recommend sticking with build 2,160 and not updating to the current build (it seems much more problematic than 2,160).

The MBR fix should remain. However, since OSS was installed, it's possible that it may reactivate itself. If it does, you'll have the old "Press..." options shown on the screen during boot-up. You can also uninstall OSS and leave DD installed. There is really no reason to have OSS installed if you only have one OS on the computer.

If you do run into the MBR problem again, it can be fixed by doing the repair again. Don't be afraid to turn off or reboot the PC.

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello all,

Paul,

Thank you for the good news, I am really glad to hear that the operating system becomes bootable.

I completely agree with Mudcrab, if you only have one operating system, you don't need Acronis OS Selector. Anyway, you can activate it later if you wish to build a multi-boot system.

Here are the instructions on how to deactivate Acronis OS Selector manually:

1. Launch Acronis Disk Director 10.0 and choose to run the program in Manual mode (View->Manual Mode). Launch Acronis Disk Editor by selecting Edit from Disk -> Advanced menu or from a drop-down menu after you right-click on the disk icon.

2. In Acronis Disk Editor window select View -> As Partition Table. Then set the OS Selector Boot Sector value to 0 as shown on the picture below, press Enter right to the text box and choose Save Sector item from Edit menu to apply changes to the boot drive.

3. Close Acronis Disk Director by choosing Disk -> Exit or clicking red cross at the top right corner of the program window.

It is also easy to locate on what drive Acronis OS Selector is installed by checking the OS Selector Boot Sector value. If the value is 0, then there is no Acronis OS Selector on the drive. If the value is different from 0, then there is Acronis OS Selector on the drive.

Please do not hesitate to ask additional questions if the provided information is not clear or you need a further assistance. 

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

Frank Cohen
Beginner

My system locks up after the option to select ESC for Menu or F6 to skip. That's it, won't go any further. I have installed Acronis Disk Director, it wouldn't work with my computer so I uninstalled it. Now I have this problem. I am using Windows 7 Pro. Any way to get around this so I can boot my computer? This is an urgent issue since I am down until I get it fixed and Acronis apparently doesn't have any way to contact tech support directly. I was hoping to purchase this for my company but at this point, I am a bit concerned about support.
If you can help, please contact me directly at frank@mitsi.org.

Thanks

Frank Cohen

Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Frank:

You should be able to replace the MBR code on your disk to fix this problem. Boot from the Windows 7 DVD and go to a manual command prompt. Enter the command bootrec /FixMbr. See the Microsoft KB article here. Just use the FixMbr command; you should not need to do the other recovery steps listed in the article.

Acronis TI 10, TI 2011, TI 2013, DD 10, DD 11 user
Amateur Radio K0LO

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello Frank,

If the solution proposed by Mark can't be applied due to some reason, I can offer you to use the workaround shared in my post #5, it can be executed under Acronis Bootable Rescue Media.

According to our database, you are an owner of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 license. Please create Acronis Bootable Rescue Media using an ISO file. We have implemented the possibility to download the appropriate ISO file after logging in to your account (the serial number should be registered). Please log in to your account, go to the Registered products and downloads section -> Bootable media. Download the file. Please see this article for more information.

Please create Acronis Bootable Rescue Media and perform the same operation as it is described in the post #5.

Please do not hesitate to ask additional questions if the provided information is not clear or you need a further assistance. 

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team