6656: Acronis True Image Home 2010 Plus Pack on Mac Boot Camp

9 replies [Last post]
Per Bohlin
Beginner

I just bought True Image Home 2010 and found out that it does not support Mac boot camp partitions, Bummer (should have read the fine print)!! BUT, if I buy the Plus pack, will it then work in Boot Camp so that I can make a back up of the Boot Camp partition on my new iMac?

/Per

Dmitry
Dmitry's picture
Frequent Poster

Hello Per,

I understand your question and will do my best to give you clear explanation.

Acronis True Image Home 2010 can’t be used with Boot Camp partitions. Plus Pack add-on also doesn’t provide such ability.

Acronis True Image Home 2010 plus pack allows you:

• Restore to Dissimilar Hardware Restore a computer to dissimilar hardware regardless of make, model, or installed components, or to a virtual machine.
  • Dynamic Disk Support Back up and restore dynamic volumes easily, taking advantage of dynamic disk capabilities including multi-partition and fault tolerant volumes as well as partition size adjustment.
  • Microsoft® Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) Support Speed up your recovery process with easy and quick integration of the latest Microsoft drivers, customized scripts, applications and plug-ins to your rescue or boot media.

Acronis products do not support Apple Mac OS X. Standalone versions of Acronis products do not support Apple Mac machines.  Acronis products do not run under any Windows or Linux operating systems when installed on Apple Mac.

There are at least two reasons for this:

• Apple Mac machines use the EFI bootstrap firmware instead of the BIOS firmware;
  • Apple Mac machines use different partitioning principles.

Acronis products will work in virtual environment created by means of Parallels Desktop. In this case, however, using Acronis products you will be able to manage only the virtual environment, and not the Apple Mac itself. For additional information please visit http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/premium/.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Dmitry Nikolaev

Plugin <em></em> Not Found | Plugin <em></em> Not Found
For more answers to your questions, try our Plugin <em></em> Not Found

John Dean
Beginner

What about a mac that isn't using bootcamp? I.E. a macbook pro that was nuked, completely installed clean with only Windows 7, thus no boot camp partition, normal NTFS volume?

Ilya
Ilya's picture
Acronis Moderator

Hello John,

If your hard drive partition scheme configured as MBR, then Acronis True Image 2010 Home should work fine on your MacBook, however, if you have a GUI Partition Table as on the screen shot, then the software won't work.

The other thing that may prevent the software from running is that Apple Mac machines use the EFI bootstrap firmware instead of the BIOS firmware.

Anyway, I may suggest you to download the trial version of Acronis True Image 2010 Home in order to check how it will work on your laptop.

Thank you.

Ilya Rasovsky

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Nic Wilson
Beginner

Dmitry,

What you have told him is absolutely not true. You could not have tried this and you must have made assumption. Acronis True Home Image 2010 with the plus pack installed backs up Bootcamp partitions just fine. I have been backing up and restoring Windows 7 on a 27" iMac under bootcamp for ages and it works just fine.

Nic Wilson

Dmitry wrote:

Hello Per,

I understand your question and will do my best to give you clear explanation.

Acronis True Image Home 2010 can’t be used with Boot Camp partitions. Plus Pack add-on also doesn’t provide such ability.

Acronis True Image Home 2010 plus pack allows you:

• Restore to Dissimilar Hardware Restore a computer to dissimilar hardware regardless of make, model, or installed components, or to a virtual machine.
  • Dynamic Disk Support Back up and restore dynamic volumes easily, taking advantage of dynamic disk capabilities including multi-partition and fault tolerant volumes as well as partition size adjustment.
  • Microsoft® Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) Support Speed up your recovery process with easy and quick integration of the latest Microsoft drivers, customized scripts, applications and plug-ins to your rescue or boot media.

Acronis products do not support Apple Mac OS X. Standalone versions of Acronis products do not support Apple Mac machines.  Acronis products do not run under any Windows or Linux operating systems when installed on Apple Mac.

There are at least two reasons for this:

• Apple Mac machines use the EFI bootstrap firmware instead of the BIOS firmware;
  • Apple Mac machines use different partitioning principles.

Acronis products will work in virtual environment created by means of Parallels Desktop. In this case, however, using Acronis products you will be able to manage only the virtual environment, and not the Apple Mac itself. For additional information please visit http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/premium/.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

richard godfrey
Beginner

hello
on sat evening I purchased a copy of true image home 2011 and the extras pack after true image 2009 would not install on my macbook pro, on the partition I have made and put windows 7 on. anyhow it all seemed to work ok, but when I used the cloning utility (this is the only part I use), the hard disk started popping away as it used to on my old PC with true image 2009, except i noticed the hard disk light stopped on the portable hard drive after 10 minutes or so. I realised I had to touch the touchpad each time that happened, as obviously the setting in windows 7 had "turn off the hard disks" after 10 minutes or so.Anyhow I couldn't sit there for 3 hours (it is a 500gig hard disk), so I (probably stupidly) turned it off and tried reboot - I HAD LOST THE LOT ON THE MACBOOK - the whole lot on the hard disk on the computer was stuffed, both the apple and windows 7 partition.
I have just come up for air at the time of writing after an horendous 48 hours of recovery.
Has any body experienced this? And I wonder under normal circumstances on a PC, if you were cloning and there was a power failure, whether or not the same thing might happen? Also when the moderator reads this - would acronis kindly re-email me my license key - it was lost when i recovered my email, the back up i had was a week old!
regards richard

Anton
Anton's picture
Forum Star

Hello all,

Thank you very much for your posts. I will definitely assist you.

We do not support Mac OS nor Mac hardware that is why any investigation or troubleshooting will not be possible. I am sorry for any inconvenience. Even if our program gets installed it will be extremely difficult to resolve any issues that arise.

Richard,

I will send you a private message in a few minutes with your product information. Just in case, I have checked your Acronis web-account and your keys are registered. Simply login to your account and navigate to My Products&Downloads section. The keys and the download files are there.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.

Anton Deev

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base and Video Tutorials.

Check our Corporate and Consumer Handbooks and Online Documentation for help on managing your account, products and support.

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Nancy Stoner
Beginner

This is more than disappointing. There was no "fine print" on the box to warn that Acronis True Image Home 2010 would not work on the Windows partition of a MacBook! That is why this forum has so many complaints/inquiries because so many stores told Customers, such as me, that this product would work. Now that it is too late to return the program I found out these forum discussions have been going on for over a year and yet no disclaimers appear on the Acronis box. What a waste of money and time. No more Acronis products for me.

r c
Beginner

Ilya wrote:

Hello John,

If your hard drive partition scheme configured as MBR, then Acronis True Image 2010 Home should work fine on your MacBook, however, if you have a GUI Partition Table as on the screen shot, then the software won't work.

The other thing that may prevent the software from running is that Apple Mac machines use the EFI bootstrap firmware instead of the BIOS firmware.

Anyway, I may suggest you to download the trial version of Acronis True Image 2010 Home in order to check how it will work on your laptop.

Thank you.

Thanks for the tip on requiring MBR for Acronis functionality it helped me move in direction to fix. BTW I've found a way to allow Acronis to work with a true Apple laptop.

1. Start with fresh HDD in Apple laptop and 16GB or larger USB
2. Boot OSX dvd and launch Disk Utility
3. Partition HDD as 2 partitions, 1st partiton as FAT for Windows & 2nd partition as Mac Journaled
-Make sure to hit Options and MUST use MBR
4. Plug in 16GB USB, format as GUID partition and mac journaled
-Quit disk utility and target USB key as location for OSX install and allow to complete
5. Reboot upon finish OSX install and again boot to OSX dvd
6. Restore source of USB to target -> 2nd partition of HDD (this copies OSX to HDD and gets around MBR install block)
7. Reboot again now using Acronis True Image DVD
8. Recover Windows Image to 1st partition of HDD, do not mark as active and make sure you don't blow away the entire disk (ie do not select MBR of windows image, just data partition)
9. Reboot Apple laptop and should boot to OSX via 2nd partition
10. Download and install rEFIt onto OSX, reboot twice
11. rEFIt should launch on second reboot and allow you to select boot to windows partition
12. Insert OSX dvd and install Bootcamp drivers from bootcamp folder on DVD.

Now after reboot you can use the "Boot Camp Utility" in windows control panel to chose a preferred Windows or OSX as primary booting device.

fusion71
Beginner

I found that I could successfully image my Windows 7 bootcamp partition using an Acronis Rescue USB.  I have TI 2011 with plus pack (for GPT support) to boot my 2012 mac mini and then perform the image backup.

Backups don't seem to work if Acronis is used within Windows itself.

The trick to successful restores with Acronis is to make sure that the Mac hard drive is pre-partitioned with a utility that understands hybrid MBRs eg bootcamp assistant or OSX disk utility (not Acronis itself).  Once you have created a fat32 bootcamp partition with OSX disk utility or bootcamp assistant, you can restore your Acronis bootcamp image into that partition with your Acronis rescue usb.

A startup repair of Windows will be necessary to enable it to boot (use original windows install DVD/USB.  See http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-bo... ).