6757: Non System disk - press any key (error on booting)

12 replies [Last post]
R Starkey
Beginner

I have just installed 2010 Home over an old 7.0. Every time I boot my machine I get "Non System disk - press any key" (error on booting). I have tried "activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager" whatever that really means but it does not resolve the issue for me.
What I did was enter Recovery Manager but did not actually made any data recovery.
Can anyone help me get rid of this irritating glitch. thanks Roger (uk)

GoneToPlaid
Regular Poster

R Starkey wrote:
I have just installed 2010 Home over an old 7.0. Every time I boot my machine I get "Non System disk - press any key" (error on booting). I have tried "activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager" whatever that really means but it does not resolve the issue for me.
What I did was enter Recovery Manager but did not actually made any data recovery.
Can anyone help me get rid of this irritating glitch. thanks Roger (uk)

Eeek! It would have been better to uninstall the old ver 7.0 before installing ATI2010. Do you have more than one hard drive? If so, maybe somehow in BIOS the selection for which hard disk to boot from has been changed? Try looking in your BIOS settings to see which hard disk is selected to boot from.

R Starkey
Beginner

" uninstall the old ver 7.0 before installing ATI2010" didn't read that advice anywhere before I started and I did do some homework !
Yes I have two hard drives I will find out how to safely examine my BIOS selection. But why should 2010 mess with that I ask myself? Thanks for the assist . . will post more later Roger

GoneToPlaid
Regular Poster

R Starkey wrote:
" uninstall the old ver 7.0 before installing ATI2010" didn't read that advice anywhere before I started and I did do some homework !
Yes I have two hard drives I will find out how to safely examine my BIOS selection. But why should 2010 mess with that I ask myself? Thanks for the assist . . will post more later Roger

I dunno. The only thing I can think of is if you created an Acronis Secure Zone on one of the hard disks? Maybe your motherboard's bios saw the new Secure Zone partition and thought that whichever disk it was created on should now be the hard disk to try booting from? This is just a wild guess since I've encountered similar issues when installing/removing either of my two extra hard drives which are mounted inside IDE removable drive caddies. Removing them wasn't an issue. But reinstalling either of these IDE drives and booting up caused the BIOS to decide to boot from them rather than from the SATA hard disk which of course has my OS on it.

R Starkey
Beginner

Yes I have set up an Secure Zone on my 2nd HD but boot from the other so maybe your theory is correct here. My BIOS now says 1st Boot CD/DVD-0 , 2nd IDE-0, 3rd CD/DVD-0, Try Other - Yes.

I'm no genius with computers but my problem is working out exactly which HD is IDE-0 or IDE-1 or what. If I can find out where to look to get that info I could maybe make a BIOS change with some confidence. I'm using XP Home BTW. thanks for your help Roger

GoneToPlaid
Regular Poster

R Starkey wrote:
Yes I have set up an Secure Zone on my 2nd HD but boot from the other so maybe your theory is correct here. My BIOS now says 1st Boot CD/DVD-0 , 2nd IDE-0, 3rd CD/DVD-0, Try Other - Yes.

I'm no genius with computers but my problem is working out exactly which HD is IDE-0 or IDE-1 or what. If I can find out where to look to get that info I could maybe make a BIOS change with some confidence. I'm using XP Home BTW. thanks for your help Roger

I take it that you don't have any SATA drives. Try changing 2nd to IDE-1 in BIOS. If that doesn't work, then you can always change it back.

R Starkey
Beginner

No SATA drives. Just tried BIOS change 2nd Boot to IDE-1 and it didn't work so I have gone back to IDE-0 while thinking what to try next.

When set to IDE-1 I got msg "NLTDRis missing" error. Any more ideas welcome. Should I try to submit this for Acronis Tech Support attention? Roger

GoneToPlaid
Regular Poster

Thinking more about your comment in your original post:

"What I did was enter Recovery Manager but did not actually made any data recovery."

Its possible that the partition table or the boot sector on the IDE-0 drive may have gotten wiped out. Apparently IDE-1's primary partition is set active since you are getting a "NLTDRis missing" error with that disk, but that partition probably is merely the one which contains your backup TIB files. I am guessing that IDE-0 is indeed your OS disk, but it is either missing its master boot record or the primary partition on the IDE-0 disk isn't set to Active so that it is bootable. This would produce the "Non System disk - press any key" error message which you are getting.

Anyway, its best to talk with tech support since they probably know exactly what has occurred and how to fix it.

Dmitry
Dmitry's picture
Frequent Poster

Hello R Starkey,

I will do everything possible in order to resolve the issue you experience.

This is a compatibility issue of Acronis True Image Home 2010 and Acronis True Image 7.0. Before installing Acronis True Image Home 2010, you should have done the following:

1. In Acronis True Image 7.0 Home, deactivate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager if it is activated;
  2. Uninstall Acronis True Image 7.0 Home through Add/Remove Programs (Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs);
  3. Install Acronis True Image Home 2010.

If you have installed Acronis True Image Home 2010 over Acronis True Image 7.0 Home do the following:

1. When you get the Non-system disk, press any key error message, press any key. You should be able to boot into Windows successfully;
  2. Once booted, run Acronis True Image Home 2010 and activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager.

The same issue also refer to Acronis True Image 8.0 and Acronis True Image 9.0 Home.

If the issue persists please boot up from the Windows Bootable CD, then go to the Recovery Console (the first Repair option you come to).

From the command prompt please type:

FIXMBR C:

FIXBOOT C:

COPY CDDrive:\I386\NTLDR C:\

COPY CDDrive:\I386|NTDETECT.COM C:\

BOOTCFG /rebuild

After that, please reboot your computer. Let me know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

Dmitry Nikolaev

Plugin <em></em> Not Found | Plugin <em></em> Not Found
For more answers to your questions, try our Plugin <em></em> Not Found

Jean-Pierre Glatz
Beginner

I use Windows 7, 64 bit, english and installed the trial version of Acronis true Image home 2010.

I made backups of my harddisk and played arround with the software to evaluate the backup program. Doing so the program changed something on my harddisk. I get always the error "non system disk - press any key" error while booting from the harddisk.

Why can I not repair it from the Acronis program? I expect to be able to reverse changes made by Acronis from the program itself. Anyhow you should improve your software. It is unacceptable that a program destroys a working system while making some backup!!!

How can I repair this?

Many thanks

thomasjk
Regular Poster

Try the Windows 7 repair disk.

Jean-Pierre Glatz
Beginner

Problem: "non system disk - press any key" error in Windows 7, 64bit, english

Booting with the Windows 7 repair disk and trying to repair Windows 7 didn't fix the problem. However I downloaded the free EasyBCD 1.7.2 utility from the Internet which is Windows 7 compatible, started the application and clicked on the "Manage Bootloader" button. Then I selected the Vista Bootloader (I think it is the same on Vista and Windows 7) and clicked on the "Write MBR" button. Then I booted my PC and the problem was gone. Windows 7 booted without any error message.

I think the Acronis Secure Zone® option is a dangerous option which can leave the system displaying the "non system disk - press any key " message. As Windows 7 allows only 4 partitions per harddisk and I already had 4 partitions on my disk, the Acronis Secure Zone® option tryed to install an additional partition but failed because of the partition limit. The problem seems to come from the Acronis Secure Zone® option which failed to create the partition but installed a "bootmanager" which probably should normally mount the created partition. However after failing to create a new partition the software should not mount any "bootloader". The bootloader should only be mounted if the Acronis Secure Zone® option succeeds to create the partition. The software should also include a maintenance option to restore new MBR's for Windows Vista, Windows7 and XP as EasyBCD 1.7.2 does. Otherwise I'm quiet satisfied with the program and I will probably buy it once you impove the program so that the explained problem cannot occur anymore and if it occurs that there is a possibility within the Acronis software to fix the problem.

Best regards

Terry Isabell
Beginner

Jean-Pierre, I just want to thank you for this solution to a problem that was bugging me for a while now. EasyBCD was a snap to download and run, just as per your instructions, and the error message was gone on next boot! Ironic that you describe yourself as "Beginner" but had this easy fix for us. Thanks again!
Terry