6952: Acronis True Image 2010 compatibility with Windows 7

15 replies [Last post]
Fiddler
Fiddler's picture
Beginner

I just bought Acronis True Image Home 2010 and am wondering to what degree it is compatible with Windows 7. After upgrading to Windows 7 from Windows Vista, I have not yet found a way to recover files backed up earlier using True Image Home 2009 under Windows Vista: Here are the reasons for my doubts:

With Windows 7 and True Image Home 2010, I have tried mounting an image of my Backup archive to copy my files back to my current hard drive but it does not work. The Mount Backup window that opens when I click on Mount Image does not list any archives so I browse for it and find it (G:\Mybackup(1).tib) where it should be. But when I try to open it by clicking O.K., I receive the message " Unsupported file. Error while opening the archive file. The archive format is not supported by this operation "

Also, the use of Windows Search 4.0 to manage backup files (including moving and copying) as described in the True Image Home 2010 User’s Guide does not work for Windows 7. When I try to install Windows Search 4.0, I get a message saying that it is not compatible with Windows 7.

Here are my questions:

1- Can files backed up with Acronis True Image Home 2009 and Windows Vista be recovered and managed with Acronis True Image Home 2010 under Windows 7

2- Is there a version of Windows Search compatible with Windows 7

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

You don't say which build you are using, but I've just retested builds 5053,5054 and 5055 and all will mount a 2009 tib file I happen to have made last night. It does take a long time for the mount to register though. Explore also works.

Is it possible that you've had a version of Echo installed at any time?

I am using W7 Ultimate 64bit.

Does the archive validate?

Windows Search is built into W7, there should be no need to download and install it.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

rei
Beginner

After using and mounting my image, I recieved a bluescreen of death. Then restoring the image, I have started getting BlueScreen crash dump reports "Windows shutdown unexpected last time" when restoring (have 6053 installed) --a problem I got last month with an older build. I reported it here previously: http://forum.acronis.com/forum/6083

The backup image itself appears fine as it has been restored from many times before without the BlueScreen post-image. Odd. The only thing similar to last time I had it was did have an image mounted before it crashed which seemed to affect all subsequent restores.

Maybe it writes something to the hidden 100mb partition.

DwnNDrty
Forum Star

Instead of trying to use the Mount feature, just treat the .tib file like a folder in Windows Explorer. Double click it to open it and drill down to where the files are that you want to copy.

Fiddler
Fiddler's picture
Beginner

Bodgy

I have Windows 7 and Acronis True Image 2010 Build 6053 and it is with this software that I am trying to mount an image of my backup archive so I can recover my files.

The files I want to recover are part of an earlier image of my entire hard drive when I was using Windows Vista and Acronis True Image Home 2009. They are all grouped in a folder called “Work” and I want to copy this folder to my current Account (C:\Users\ John). I have no need for the system files and programs in that archive since I formated my drive before doing a clean install of Windows 7 and all my programs have to be reinstalled manually.

The problem is as stated in my original message. When I click on Mount Image, I find the Mount Backup window empty and when I browse to the location of the backup archive and click O.K., I get the message mentioned earlier (" Unsupported file. Error while opening the archive file. The archive format is not supported by this operation "). The archive’s name in my external backup drive is “Mybackup (1).tib) and should be compatible with True Image 2010.

As for Windows Search, I have not been able to find it listed anywhere in Windows 7. I looked in Programs and Features, Program Files and Program Files (x86) and don’t see it listed. My Windows 7 is the OEM version. Could this be why I don’t find it.

Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Joseph:

Something must have gone wrong when you created the original archive. As the archive is being created, it is given a temporary name of "Mybackup (1).tib" and when finished it should have been renamed "Mybackup.tib", assuming it was a full archive and was saved to an NTFS disk. If the archive was an incremental or differential image the names should have been "Mybackup.tib" for the base archive and "Mybackup (2).tib", "Mybackup (3).tib", etc. for the subsequent incremental or differentials.

As for Windows Search, it is built into the OS and appears when you click on the START button:

Just start typing in the "Search programs and files" box...

Acronis TI 10, TI 2011, TI 2013, DD 10, DD 11 user
Amateur Radio K0LO

Fiddler
Fiddler's picture
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestion to forget about mounting an image and use Windows Explorer to recover my files from the backup archive. I tried that but it does not work as it should normally.
With Windows Explorer, I can work my way in the archive down to the level of the folder that contains my sub folders and files. At that point, I am offered three choices “ Open, Explore or Copy”. If I right click on the main folder and then click on Open, the sub folders appear. If I right click on a sub folder and then click on open, I see all the files in that sub folder with their icons and titles and I can open individual files to read their contents but that is as far as it goes. I can’t move or copy the files to my current System drive. Clicking on “ Explore” gives me the same results as clicking on “Open”. When I click on a folder or a file and then click on “Copy” nothing happens.

Someone suggested that the archive I am dealing with was not properly saved because its name appears as Mybackup(1).tib instead of Mybackup.tib. I am reading the Manual and following this up on the forum to see if I can find the cause of this misnaming and hopefully a solution to this problem.

Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

If you don't find any other backups belonging with the current MyBackup (1).tib, then try renaming the file to MyBackup.tib to see what happens.

Amateur Radio K0LO

George Walton
George Walton's picture
Beginner

I need an updated procedure to correct the snapapi issue with TI Home2010/Windows 7. I ran part of the fix listed on forum 3940 but ended up unable to complete it because of the fact that he did not provide some info for TI 2010 and Windows 7 (see my last comment on the forum log posts 3940). If someone at Acronis could answer the questions I have raised, I would appreciate it! Thanks.

Chuck

Fiddler
Fiddler's picture
Beginner

KOLO

Your comment that the name of my archive should be “Mybackup.tib” and not “Mybackup(1).tib” as it appears in my backup drive makes me think that I did something wrong when I backed up my drive even if I recall that the backup process ended with a “successfully completed” message.

I decided to look at the ATI Home 2010 User’s Guide again to see if I could figure out the reason for this situation and I may have found the solution in Chapter 19 which deals with the validation of archives. I don’t recall ever having validated that archive so it may be that validation is the finishing process that would save the archive in the proper format to be recognised and managed by ATI Home 2010.

I hesitate to try to validate the archive now for fear of making the problem worse. It was saved using ATI Home 2009 under Windows Vista 32-bit and I am now using Windows 7 64-bit and ATI Home 2010. The folder I am trying to recover contains all my files, data and macros of the last 20 years (6500 files) and I want to be sure I know what I am doing before I make my next move. Assuming that the problem is due to the archive not having been validated, these are some of the steps I am considering:

a- I could first attempt to save a copy of the archive to another safe location in case anything goes wrong with my only copy. Normal ways of moving or copying files and folders out of this archive do not work in this case. I tried to copy the files with Windows Explorer and I tried to recover them by mounting an image with ATI Home 2010 without success. I also tried the drag and drop method with the same result. The only other two ways left I can see to make a copy of the archive is doing a backup of it with ATI Home 2010 or a copy using the Send To method if this will work.

b- Reading posts in the ATI Home forum, I see that apparently a certain Build of ATI Home 2009 works with Windows 7. If this is the case, I could uninstall ATI 2010, reinstall my ATI 2009 and update it to that Buid to validate my archive. I certainly hope this extreme measure is not the only solution. Just to think of it makes me sick. Now to my questions:

I- Is it likely that the problem I have with this archive is due to the fact that it was not validated

2- Can an archive saved with ATI Home 2009 under Windows Vista 32- bit but not validated be validated with ATI Home 2010 under Windows 7 64-bit. Is it safe to try it.

3 - Is there another safe way to make a copy of that archive before experimenting.

Will appreciate suggestions from anyone.

Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Joseph:

The error message that you're getting - " Unsupported file. Error while opening the archive file. The archive format is not supported by this operation " - is because TI thinks that your file is part of a set of differential or incremental backups and it's looking for the other files in the set. If the archive is a full backup consisting of only a single file, then the easiest thing to try is to rename the file to "Mybackup.tib" and then see what happens. You can try this on a copy of the file (see 3, below).

To answer your questions:

1. Validation isn't required; it's an optional step. When an archive is created, a bunch of checksums are added to the file. Validation checks the file contents against these checksums. If an archive validates successfully then it gives you confidence that there are no errors in the archive. But it isn't required that you do this.

2. Yes, TI 2010 will successfully validate and work with TI 2009 archive files.

3. It's just a file, so copy it with Windows Explorer to another location for experimentation. You can use drag and drop to copy, or copy/paste, or send-to, or any other method that copies files in Windows Explorer.

Amateur Radio K0LO

George Walton
George Walton's picture
Beginner

These comments have nothing to do with my problem, I referred to the (see my last comment on the forum log posts 3940) which addresses my problem but the fix does not explain how to
perform the actions on Windows 7!

Chuck

Fiddler
Fiddler's picture
Beginner

KOLO

Finally resolved the problem thanks to your suggestion to rename my archive Mybackup(1).tib to Mybackup.tib. After renaming, using the drag and drop method, I was then able to make a copy of the backup to be safe and retrieve my files before deleting that corrupted archive.

I did a fresh backup of my system disk with ATI Home 2010 and everything now appears to work as it should

Thank you and all others who helped

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

To George Walton:

I am not convinced that you should add the SNAPAPI file meant for 2010 to a copy of v10. They may or may not play nice with each other. You probably won't get Acronis commenting on this as officially W7 and TI10 are not compatible with each other.

Having said that, I don't quite see your problem with step 7.

You will find the DLL file in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 for 64 bit W7 systems. If you don't see this folder in Windows Explorer, then you'll need to enable viewing system files via Control Panel\Folder Options.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

George Walton
George Walton's picture
Beginner

If I enable view system files, hidden files, etc. it still does not show up in the folders that I am pointed to! Your comment : " I don't quite see your problem with step 7. " How would I change the name of SNAPAPI if I can't access it??????????? Also, what would you suggest I do past this step, if I can't access the file? My problem is that I can't open TI10, as I get the error message documented in Forum 3940 posts! Since I've used a number of True Image previous versions on XP and Vista, this is getting frustrating trying to make it work on W7. And I'm computer proficient enough to follow accurate instructions!

Chuck

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Are you able to see other dll files in the SysWOW64 folder?

If you can, then it may well be that you really don't have any snapapi dll installed as it isn't a hidden system file. Check it hasn't wandered into the System32 folder.

If it isn't there, then indeed skip step 7 - this might have been your problem in the first place - snapapi never actually installed.

You will soon find out, as Windows won't allow you to have two files with the same name in the same directory, it'll complain if it thinks one already exists.

Colin