8484: need help with Copy NT signature

2 replies [Last post]
Eugene Martin
Beginner

I installed win7 64bit on a new build computer and i installed the OS on the wrong drive. I want to clone the OS to the drive that i wanted it on and then be able to format the other drive to be used for storgage. when i read about the NT signature it seems like if i copy the NT signature the source drive will be unuseable as the system won't recognize it anymore. if i unplug the source disk on boot up and now boot with the cloned one, can i plug in the source disk and format it??? It is a SATA drive so i should be able to plug it in with the computer running and have it recognized by the system so i can format it and use it.
thanks

Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Eugene:

That will work. When you clone a disk the NT signature is preserved. After cloning, disconnect the original (source) disk and boot the PC with only the clone attached, otherwise Windows will discover two disks with identical NT signatures and will modify one of them.

After you have booted once from the clone, reattach the source disk and then you can format it to do with as you please.

For best results do the clone from the Acronis Recovery CD while Windows is shut down.

Acronis TI 10, TI 2011, TI 2013, DD 10, DD 11 user
Amateur Radio K0LO

Eugene Martin
Beginner

thanks very much Mark. i wanted to be sure.