8660: Acronis true image home 2010 Win 7 - clone disk

4 replies [Last post]
Marco Grazioso
Beginner

I've installed ATI2010 Home and it don't work very fine on Win 7 Ultimate.
I try to clone my system disk (C) to a new larger disk (E) but operation is not run.
I try to clone my data disk (F) to new disk (E) and the operation is ok
WHY?!?!?!?!?
Can anyone help me, please.
NB The same operation on XP SP3 run ok.
Thanks from Italy

DwnNDrty
Forum Star

It better to do a Backup followed by a Restore. But if you must Clone do what is called a Reverse Clone - put the new drive in the booting position and move the smaller drive to a Slave or Secondary position. And also do the Clone using the bootable Rescue CD.

Marco Grazioso
Beginner

DwnNDrty wrote:
It better to do a Backup followed by a Restore. But if you must Clone do what is called a Reverse Clone - put the new drive in the booting position and move the smaller drive to a Slave or Secondary position. And also do the Clone using the bootable Rescue CD.

OK a backup is better. But I need clone my "old" hard disc (system "c" 40 Gb) to a new larger. In ATI 2010 in utility task there is "clone disc" in order to clone from disc to disc. I follow the instruction but at the end .... none!!!!
WHY?!?!?!?
Thanks to anyone

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Marco,
Recheck again the instructions on the preceding post.
Those instructions are the ones which work the most often.
1. Place target in its intended boot position.
2. Place source in alternate location.
3. Boot from Rescue CD and perform the clone.
4. Afterwards, shut down and remove source before first bootup following the clone.

You might also be interested in my cloning guide listed in item 7 of my signature index.

Superdoug3
Forum Member

I had a simple job
1. backup image of 40GB
2. create 2 partitions on 80GB equally sized, set 1st partition active
3. restore to 1st partition on larger drive
4. everything worked dandy except now
my Acronis job for creating an image no longer works, from the error message, it looks like Acronis keeps track of the hard drive id number, so I will have to recreate the Acronis image job on my new hard drive
error message in log 'can not find a partition with the path \local\hd_sign(3B2A1755)

So it seems to me that one can not change hard drives without re-creating the Acronis image jobs
would this be a true assumption ??