8904: Clone disk wizard destination selection failure

7 replies [Last post]
Paul Lambrix
Beginner

I am using True Image 10 on Win 7 and am trying to clone the main drive. In either Automatic or Manual mode, when it get to the Select Destination page, none of the drives can be selected. All of the drives in the computer are displayed, but they are all grayed out. Their sizes and other info are displayed and if you click on the column they re-order. But they can't be selected.
What would cause that, how can a destination drive be selected?

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Is the clone being attempted when booted from Rescue CD which is what is recommended.

Best change of success is for the blank target to be installed in its intended boot position before cloning.

Item 7C in my signature index provides more details.

Paul Lambrix
Beginner

I'm trying to clone to a hard drive. Whenever I make major changes to the system, I wait to make sure that they are stable and then clone the main drive and then remove it from the computer.
The system is running from the main drive and True Image is running off of that. This worked up through True Image 9.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Item 7C in my signature index provides a solution--unless you have an issue which is specific to Win7.

Have you tried performing a disk option backup and then perform a disk option restore. Restore when booted from the Rescue CD. Item 7A & 7B are good references for that.

Paul Lambrix
Beginner

I tried running TI 10 from a Rescue CD and had the same problem as when run from within Windows.

"In either Automatic or Manual mode, when it get to the Select Destination page, none of the drives can be selected. All of the drives in the computer are displayed, but they are all grayed out. Their sizes and other info are displayed and if you click on the column they re-order. But they can't be selected."

Do you have any suggestions of what would cause that to happen, or how a destination drive can be selected?"

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Can you post a screenshot of what DD shows (in Manual Mode) for the drives?

Can you also post a screenshot of what Disk Management shows for the drives?

What build of DD are you using?

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

Paul Lambrix
Beginner

Well this is embarrassing. I have a SATA chassis in my computer with several SATA caddies that can be installed into it without opening the computer. I use these drives for backup. If I have to recover from a problem, all that I have to do is insert one of the backup drives and change the boot order in the BIOS. I have been using TI for a number of years and just upgraded to TI 10. This is the first time I backed up the main drive, and I grabbed the wrong backup drive, which was too small. Being the first time I was using TI 10 I wasn't familiar with the new user interface and assumed that the problem was with TI 10.
Sorry to have wasted your time.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Great that you found the solution but possibly a note of caution.

You indicate you just upgraded to v10. Be very careful in your use of version number.

V10 means you are using the older version from several years back.

If you meant you are using the new 2010 version, be sure and specify it as v2010 True Image Home; or v2010 Backup & recovery, etc.

Version numbers can determine the type of response you will get.