9242: Cloned drive does not boot

21 replies [Last post]
Tepes Voda
Beginner

I recently purchased a WD5000BEVT and i'm trying to clone my older drive ST910021AS using Acronis True Image WD Edition. I installed the program on my Thinkpad T60p with fingerprint reader running XP SP3, cloned the old drive (old drive in the laptop, new drive in external USB case), manually changed the service partition size and the main partition size. Cloning worked with no errors but when I boot from the new drive I get a _ flashing prompt on the top left of the screen. Service partition works. Any ideas why is it not working?

steve freeman
Beginner

I ran into this a while back and had to make the drive active again even though it was already set as active once. Hope this helps.

DwnNDrty
Forum Star

Another thing to try is the Reverse Clone - put the new drive in the laptop and the old (source) drive in the usb enclosure then use the bootable Rescue CD to carry out the clone process.

Tepes Voda
Beginner

How do you make the drive active?

Ilya
Ilya's picture
Acronis Moderator

Hello all,

Let me help you.

Tepes, to make the drive active you can use a Diskpart utility.

Additionaly, as DwnNDrty mentioned, you can try 'reverse cloning' method.

Assuming that you have your new drive installed in the laptop, and the old one connected via USB, here is a sample cloning scenario withAcronis True Image Home 2010:

• Run Acronis True Image Home 2010 and select Tools & Utilities -> Clone Disk:

• Select the Automatic mode to have your old disk's partitions automatically and proportionally resized to fit the new disk:

• Select your old hard disk, which is connected via USB, as the source disk:

• Select the new hard disk, which is installed in the laptop, as the destination disk:

• Click OK to allow the product to erase all data from the destination disk (required to do the cloning):

• Review the operation on the Summary window, and click Proceed to start the cloning:

• The product will then clone the disk.

Please reply to this thread if you have any further questions.

Thank you.

Ilya Rasovsky

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Tepes Voda
Beginner

I tried both methods with no success :((( I tried running diskpart from the hard drive and the UBCD 3.0 CD and it did not want to run, I assume some libraries might need to be installed for the executable to run.
I also tried the reverse cloning but Acronis WD edition says it cannot clone a drive with only one hard drive connected so I assume that it does not see the USB drive. I can however see the USB drive if I boot with UBCD CD.
Any suggestions?

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello all,

Thank you for posting your question, I will be happy to help. 

Tepes,

Please perform the clone operation again (don't apply the reverse clone since the hardware is not detected properly). During the operation management don't resize the service partition. Wait for the operation to be completed, swap the hard drives and see if the issue remains. 

If the operating system still fails to boot and you see the blinking cursor at the system startup, you should perform the FixMBR operation. Please see this article on how to do it. 

Please let us know the results, we should be sure that the program runs flawlessly. If the provided information is not clear or if you have any other question do not hesitate to post them and we will be glad to answer.

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

Tepes Voda
Beginner

I cloned the drive again without resizing the partitions and it failed to boot. Tried fixboot and fixmbr with no result. Any other suggestions? Should I try this in safe mode? Will it even work in safe mode?

Oleg
Oleg's picture
Acronis QA Engineer

Hello Tepes,

Thank you for your response.

You can perform backup/restore operations instead of clone. Backup/restore use another algorithm, and the results may be different. 

If this doesn't help, I suggest you to contact the vendor from which your Acronis True Image WD Edition has been received. The appropriate support page is available here

Please do not hesitate to ask additional questions if the provided information is not clear.

Thank you.

Oleg Lee

Acronis QA Team

George Xavier
Beginner

I tried to used the reverse clone procedure by putting my original hard drive (160GB) in the USB enclosure and new drive (250 GB) in the laptop. Not only did it not work, but now my old drive is not booting even when I return it to the laptop as the internal hard drive.

How can I recover this disk?

Thanks.
George

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

George,
Check the bios to make sure it is attempting to boot from the correct device.

In cloning or restoring the system disk of a Think Pad, the reverse clone procedures is a "must do" The new target disk must be in its intended boot position during the cloning procedure.

Clone from the rescue CD. Shutdown and disconnect any other drives.
First boot following the procedure must be with only the new drive attached. No docking stations, etc.

During the clone, you can change the data partition size but do not change the boot or diagnostic partitions sizes.

During the clone, did you have an option to check or uncheck the "keep data" after cloning? If you had such an option, it must be checked to keep the source from being deleted.

George Xavier
Beginner

GroverH,

My laptop is a Gateway MT6821. Both my drives are Western Digital. My older drive was 160GB(wdc1600bevs) and newer drive was 250GB (wdc2500bevs).

Right now both drives are not booting after I tried the cloning.

What I am looking for is a solution to get back to where I was before I started all this cloning stuff i.e if I can simply make my old drive bootable again.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

George

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

George,
What type reaction/error message do you get when you boot with only the old drive attached?

Can you attach as usb to another computer to see if the data is readable?

Do you have a full disk or C partition backup so you might restore your system C drive?

George Xavier
Beginner

Grover

Thanks for your response.

With only the old drive attached, the system hangs with the blank screen after the initial Gateway Logo screen with the Press F2 message.

If I hit F2 and enter the BIOS, I see the drive is present.

Yes data is readable on another Vista computer. Just not booting from that drive whether placed externally or internally.

I have my data files backed up on another drive.

Thanks again.

George

DwnNDrty
Forum Star

George Xavier wrote:

Grover

Thanks for your response.

With only the old drive attached, the system hangs with the blank screen after the initial Gateway Logo screen with the Press F2 message.

If I hit F2 and enter the BIOS, I see the drive is present.

Yes data is readable on another Vista computer. Just not booting from that drive whether placed externally or internally.

I have my data files backed up on another drive.

Thanks again.

George

See if your Gateway Factory Recovery CDs will let you do a "non-destructive" restore, i.e., it will refresh the Windows installation only. Two days ago I was working on a Gateway desktop system and those Recovery Cds had that feature.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

I know you only have the one drive attached but in the bios, did you confirm that it was the disk drive that was in first boot order and made sure the cdrom was empty. Just checking for possibilities.

If your system a Vista? If yes, do you have a Vista boot or install disk where you could perform a repair function. Hopefully someone familiar with Vista can respond here to your dilemma.

George Xavier
Beginner

Thanks for responding.

I have ordered the recovery CD...(yes, it wasn't included in the purchase!!)

I will try out the non-destructive restore.

George

George Xavier
Beginner

Yes, the hard drive is at the top of the boot order list..and there is nothing in the cd drive or any of the USB drives.

As DwnNDirty suggested, I am hoping that when I get the Gateway recovery cd, I can do a "non destructive" restore. My feeling is that its the MBR that is somehow corrupted. Anyway I have my data files copied on another drive so a reformat wouldnt hurt too much.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
George

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

George,
It is situation like yours which causes us to always recommend that you have a full disk option backup as your "fall back" plan just in case something does go wrong. Read item 7D inside my signature index below.

Keep checking back here as there may be other responses which might be of help. You have not indicated having any backups of your system partition--even if they are old so I am assuming these backups do not exist.

It might be helpful if you would confirm what version of TrueImage Home is in use here and confirm the operating system in use on the Gateway.

George Xavier
Beginner

I am using the Western Digital version of TrueImage and OS is Windows Vista Home Premium.

I've backed up my data files onto a USB drive that still work. So I just need to get the drive booting again. I'm hoping the Gateway recover CD when it arrives will do the trick.

Thanks
George

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

George,
You might check this out.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-make-a-windows-vista...

Can you attach the disk to another system and then run chkdsk on the old drive?

thomasjk
Regular Poster

I second Grover's recommendation. Build the repair disk. Chances are you will need it in the future anyway.