9266: How to Clone IDE HDD to SATA HDD

12 replies [Last post]
Sonie Ibibo
Beginner

Hello All,
I am new to Acronis products.
I have a HP Proliant ML110 server running windows server 2003 standard edition. This server has four SATA slots and one IDE slot on the motherboard.
Those who did the initial setup used a single IDE 40GB hard drive which is now getting full.
This server runs as a single Domain controller, file server and Application server.

I want to move all the contents of the 40GB IDE HDD to a 250GB SATA HDD, which of the Acronis Backup & Recovery programs should I buy?
1. Acronis Backup&Recovery Server for Windows,
2. Acronis Backup&Recovery Workstation or
3. Acronis Backup&Recovery Advanced Server

All contributions are welcomed

Thanks

Yana
Forum Star

Hello Sonie!

Welcome to Acronis Forum and thank you for opening the thread regarding this question! I will be glad to assist you.

Since you are using Server OS on the machine, you will need a server solution, so I would advise you to use Acronis Backup and Recovery Server for Windows. Unfortunately simple clone procedure will not suit the scenario you have specified as you are going to change HDD interface. That means that you need to add the SATA drivers during the process of migrating the system, and you can do it only be means of Acronis Universal Restore. First you need to create the backup of IDE HDD (you can find all the instructions in the User's Guide) and then restore the image to a new SATA HDD (the process is described here).

Acronis Universal Restore is a special add-on for corporate versions of Acronis Products that allows you to restore your images to dissimilar hardware. You can add it to your purchase:

In order to install Acronis Universal Restore just specify its license during the process of installation.

Please note that prior to restoring to new hardware you need also to find the SATA drivers. Please unpack them to be in *.inf and *.oem format.

We strongly not recommend to include plug-and-play devices drivers as it may corrupt restoration.

I would appreciate if you could kindly let us know in case something still seems confusing or you have any additional questions - we will be glad to help you!

Thank you.

Sonie Ibibo
Beginner

Hello Yana,
Many thanks for the response and advice.

When I connected the SATA HDD, and after pointing to the IDE as first boot in the BIOS, the Server tends to boot from the SATA drive. That when the SATA HDD is connected to one of the four slots on the motherboard, and upon booting, the server indicates " Operating system not found". And the the SATA drive is disconnected form the motherboard or connected via an External enclosure, the Server boots normally.

So, can I connect the SATA drive in the external enclosure via USB to the server and do the "Transition" without issues?

Thanks

Anton
Anton's picture
Forum Star

Hello Sonie Ibibo,

Thank you for posting. I will definitely help you with this.

I would recommend to have your SATA drive connected to your motherboard. Using the standalone version of our software you can then restore your image to the SATA drive, please note about the drive letters displayed differently. After the restore process you can disconnect your IDE drive and boot from your SATA drive.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.

Anton Deev

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base and Video Tutorials.

Check our Corporate and Consumer Handbooks and Online Documentation for help on managing your account, products and support.

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Jim Becher
Regular Poster

I am going to have to put my two cents in here. Yana I do not believe Universal Restore is required in this particular situation unless it is something more then simple SATA. Sonie I am struggling to understand your boot senario above. Sorry.

Worst case put the SATA drive in as a slave and boot the server to the IDE. Install and drivers that need to be installed to get the SATA running as a slave. At that point you are home free. You can do one of two things

1) "clone" the IDE to the SATA and remove the IDE or...

2) Image the IDE to an external drive. Remove the IDE. Install the SATA and restore the image from the extarnal USB drive

all done with the ABM...

User's access to the Forum was terminated permanently due to the constant violations of Forum Terms of Use

Yana
Forum Star

Hello Jim!

Thank you for your reasonable comment.

Well, actually, since SATA and IDE are different interfaces, OS is using different drives to communicate with them. You can surely try restoring or cloning the image onto the SATA drive without adding these drivers - this will not corrupt the HDD - but most likely your system will not boot. And you will have to restore again, but this time using Acronis Universal Restore.

We would advise the following scenario:

* find SATA drivers and store them in any suitable location
* take an image of the IDE drive
* turn the machine off, unplug IDE drive and plug in SATA
* create Acronis Bootable Rescue Media CD by means of the product (with Acronis Universal Restore installed), boot from it and perform the recovery as specified here

Let me know in case you have any concerns or something seems confusing - I will be glad to clarify.

Thank you!

Sonie Ibibo
Beginner

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the comment.
I have been struggling to understand how I can put the SATA as a slave with the IDE as the master. Please kindly refer me to such a program (drivers) that I can use as to slave the SATA in the HP Proliant ML110 Server.
What is ABM?
Thanks

Sonie Ibibo
Beginner

?

Jim Becher
Regular Poster

Hi Sonie, Hi Yana,

As far as the SATA drivers.... that is the reason to boot the server as is to the IDE drive with the SATA as a second drive. 2003 Standard will load the drivers it needs for tha SATA when it boots. At that point all you have to do is image the IDE drive, dump it to that SATA and take the IDE out of the system. I have had to do this on several occassions but to a much more radical degree and did not have Universal Restore.

My particular senario was mildly different. I was running SATA and wanted to move to a Promise raid card. All I had to do was put the Promise raid card in the server (no drives attached) and boot the server. 2003 asked for the Promise raid drivers and I supplied them. They were, at that point, part of the OS. I booted the Acronis Bootable Media and made an image to an external USB drive, took the SATA out, added drives to the Promise controller, rebooted the ABM and dropped them image on the Raid controller. Since the raid drivers were already part of the image it just flat out booted.

Sonie I am not infinitely familiar with the BIOS on a ML110 but it is a newer box and you should, somewhere in the BIOS, be able to set the hard drive boot order so you can boot the IDE first. Compaq (HP) is a little propreitary but I would find it hard to believe even they would no incluse a "Boot Order" option in the BIOS. But .... you never know...

User's access to the Forum was terminated permanently due to the constant violations of Forum Terms of Use

Sonie Ibibo
Beginner

Hello Friends,
Acronis backup and recovery 10 for windows server appears not to have Disk Cloning features, which is what I want.
I want to Clone the Local Disk C: unto the new Disk. So that all Applications, programs and even the OS (Windows Server 2003) will run seamlessly from the new disk.
Do you think there is something I am not doing right here?
Please how can I Clone the drive C: to the new Drive?

thanks

Sonie

Yana
Forum Star

Hello Jim and Sonie!

First of all thank you for your comments and thanks to Jim for assistance.

Sonie, Acronis Backup and Recovery Server for Windows definitely has cloning options, and its functionality is identical to one we have in Home version and in True Image Echo products.

In order to find how to do it, please kindly check chapter 6.11.5.2 in the User's Guide.

Please let us know in case something's still confusing you, we will be glad to clarify!

Thank you!

Jim Becher
Regular Poster

Hi Sonie. Yana please correct me if I am wring but if you clone you do not have the Universal Restore option. The simple work around would be to make an image to an inexpensive USB hard drive and restore from that image using Universal Restore.

Sonie Ibibo
Beginner

Hello Friends,
Once again I thank you all for trying to help me.
I have discovered that the source IDE hard drive I intend to clone is a Dynamic Disk not basic disk which is what Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 supports.

So is there any other program I can use to clone my IDE (dynamic) Disk to SATA (basic) Disk?

Thanks