9297: Acronis 2010 Failed to restor mbr ..... or did it?

12 replies [Last post]
Tea Elmo
Beginner

Hi guys

last night after installing a new DVDRW, for some crzy reason the next time i reboot, i got the dreaded BootMGR is missing error!!

I didnt panic since i had a n acronis full backup of my C: (system partition).. using Acronis TI Home 2010

But after restoring it, alas, the BootMGR error was still there.

so i redid the restoration, THIS TIME selecting the C: parition recovery, as well as the MBR and Track Zero (i usually dont tick this option).. but once again, i still have that bootmGr error! SO what's this? acronis failed to recover my mbr based on my recent and VALIDATED backup?

I'm pretty experienced w/ computers so i am pretty sure that:
1) I am booting from my main drive, heck i even tried to boot w/ that drive only
2) My drive is set to active and etc
3) sata cables are not problematic (i've tried new ones alredy)
4) it's not the cables nor the motherboard nor the HDD (GSkill Falcon SSD) coz i tried a clean install of Windows 7 and everything worked fine.
5) i have also tried recovring the image on to a different, newly formatted HDD and it stil has that same problem
6) the image im trying to recover is VALID and working (I've used it to recover many times already in the past months)
7) im pretty sure something's wrong w/ acronis recovery because
- i recovered my image, same bootmgr problem, but used Win7 DVD to fix the prob and THeN i can boot again..then just for the heck of it i tried to recover the image onto the system as i did before (not ticking the mbr option), and alas after recovery, bootmgr problem again
- i reinstalled windows 7 completely, all working and fine.. THEN recovered my image.. once again bootmgr error
8) it's not tha ram coz i've change sticks already, done mem tests and all.. and again everything seems to be fine when i simply reinstlal. but i cant seem to recover my image properly anymore.

Now. i ask.. What else could be the reason for this?
All drives, cables, and everything are fine.. why is it that i could flawlessly recover my system using my ATI image many times bfore, but ever since this BootMgr is missing error happened, all my restoration attempts results in restored image but w/ bootmgr problem w/c i have to FIX using windows 7 DVD before i can actually boot into the newley recoevered system??

I have but 1 more hint left, w/c i can not test .. during ATI 2010 backup one has an option to do sector by sector.. my current image that im trying to recover isnt done sector by sector.. could this be the reason? and if so, why this problem now?! i never had this issue before and i recovereed so many times..

and if this IS actually the case, how do i convert my current image to such? i need that miage recovered because it took me a week to configure my system and backup all of that into that non sector by sector image (w/c again worked flawlessly on all previous occations)

Now, even if i install windows 7 plainly, and then recover my image (C: only, not including the MBR, and tried also including the MBR), i still cant get away from that BootmGR problem!!!!

I can recover and have actually done so on my image, but i have to run the win7 dvd to correct the boot mgr first.. now I dont wana have to keep doing this everytime i recover my backup image. :(

Any ideas? as you can see i spent ton of time disecting this issue, for me, and for others who may fall into same situation as me.. i hope you guys, specially the acronis team would spend time in return to help me figure this out ..

Regards
J

Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Tea Elmo wrote:

Hi guys

last night after installing a new DVDRW, for some crzy reason the next time i reboot, i got the dreaded BootMGR is missing error!!

The installation of the DVD drive must have caused your BIOS to change the disk order or something similar.

Tea Elmo wrote:
so i redid the restoration, THIS TIME selecting the C: parition recovery, as well as the MBR and Track Zero (i usually dont tick this option).. but once again, i still have that bootmGr error! SO what's this? acronis failed to recover my mbr based on my recent and VALIDATED backup?
Your MBR was recovered fine. The fact that you are seeing the error message "BootMGR is missing" means that the MBR did its job properly by finding the active partition and jumping to it to search for and start BootMGR. The error you're seeing has nothing to do with the MBR. It does, however, have everything to do with the list of disks and their binary IDs that is stored in the Windows Registry.

An explanation is as follows. When you installed Windows the installer created partitions with the newer Vista/Win 7 offset of 1 MB (2048 sectors). TI uses the older partitioning standard that has been in existence for many years where partitions have offsets of 31.5 kB (63 sectors). When TI restores a partition it is realigned to the older standard offset. This realignment causes the boot process to fail since the pointers in the registry that tell Windows where the file BootBGR is located are now invalid.

Booting from a Windows 7 DVD and repairing the installation will fix this. TI 2010 is supposed to automatically make changes to the registry to avoid this problem. What I don't understand is why TI failed to do this for you. However, the fix in your case is simple. Now that you have the system repaired and booting properly, make a new image. This new image should restore without issue.

Acronis TI 10, TI 2011, TI 2013, DD 10, DD 11 user
Amateur Radio K0LO

como
Regular Poster

Mark

I don't doubt your explanation, but seem to remember this being an issue discussed at length some time ago in the old forum, can't remember the version 9 or 10 I think, which Acronis fixed with a new build.

I have restored Vista partitions on new drives with TI 11 with no problems

Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

como:

Exactly. Starting with TI 11 this issue was fixed. What I don't understand is why the restore failed for Tea Elmo, but I suspect that it had something to do with the BIOS reassigning disk order when he installed a DVD drive. Just a theory but perhaps this change resulted in a new Disk Signature for the main hard disk. If the Disk Signature changed then all of the registry values in HKLM\System\MountedDevices would have changed and would thus invalidate the BCD pointers. Perhaps TI's algorithm couldn't handle a bunch of simultaneous registry changes.

Just a theory but coincidentally, something similar happened to me a couple of months ago when I was fiddling with BIOS settings for the disks. Upon reboot the machine wouldn't start Windows. Subsequent checking verified that the hard disk's Disk Signature had been changed. Why this happened is still a mystery to me, but it did happen.

Amateur Radio K0LO

Tea Elmo
Beginner

Hi K0LO

Thanks much for your inputs, i think i get what you mean.. so it is a sort of "synch" problem w/ TI and Windows 7 then..

yeah my actual problem has been solved even before this post (restored old image, fixed mbr, created a new image (non sector by sector), tested its recovery and it's all OK)

But my curious mind still begs me to understand why on earth does my OLD image dont seem to work on any drive anymore.. like something happend to it (i doubt as it isnt editable), or something changed in my PC (but where?)

I have tried restoring my old image onto my raptor hdd, and my 320GB hdd (spare).. i tried reformatting the hdd's first, even clearing the MBR using hirens, before restoring my image.. somehow, my old image file, just dont work anymore.. when it that worked flawlessly many times before (from my Raptor, to my SSD upgrade, and many redos in between both "eras") .. as if this image is dud.. or somehow my hardware isnt compatible w/ it anymore (but i didnt change anything, and i rechecked my BIOS settings ground up, released my overclocks, even reset the bios).. it just wont work..

I have also moved around my HDDs in bios, and via the sata port before, never did i encounter this..

for this to have occured, somethig must have changed, and i can't seem to come up w/ a theory as to what did to have caused this..

I have yet to try restoring my old image onto another computer just to see if i get a HAL error (w/c is expected) or a that darn bootmgr error..

Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

When you say that the old image doesn't work any more, what does it do? Does it fail to restore, or does the restore fail to boot, or what exactly?

Does your old image still validate correctly?

Amateur Radio K0LO

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

It might help to see the BCD output from the restored file.

For example: Restore the image, don't boot the drive, boot to the Windows 7 DVD, enter Repair Mode, cancel any auto-repairs, start the Command Prompt, run bcdedit /store c:\boot\bcd and see what it reports. (Note: If the restored partition is assigned a letter other than C:, use that letter in the bcdedit command.)

You can save the output to a file on another drive, if you wish:
bcdedit /store c:\boot\bcd > e:\bcd_output.txt
(Where "e:" is the drive to which you want to save the file.)

---

In addition, verify that the bootmgr file actually exists on the restored Windows 7 partition.

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

Rikki27
Beginner

Hi all,

For those reading through this thread. I have found that an Acronis TI home 10 recovery of my drive also didn't result in successful boot from the OS drive once the recovery was successfully installed. I repaired the installation from my W7 disk and all appears fine. I wasn't aware of Mudcrab's advice so intuitively relied on the W7 disk.

It would appear that even some months down the track that this issue is still not widely available or even noted in the ISO file for creating the boot disk. Would save people a lot of time if Acronis included a "hey people if a bootmgr missing error comes up at boot then.........." this is the reason and this is what you have to do to correct it.

Lucato
Forum Member

Today for my sad surprise after cloning the system with TI2013 I got in both HDs the message "bootmgr missing". I'll have more than a month
of work to install all over!

- I tried the recover CD w7 and didn´t solve;

- I don´t have CD with image I had cloned HD;
- I tried on the prompet command the command:
bootrec /RebuildBcd
bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot

and nothing solved. The message "bootmgr missing" keeps showing?

Any idea how to fix it? HELP please.

Using windows 7 64bits

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Did you reboot with both disks connected (original disk and cloned/target disk)? You should never do that, as Windows will make at least one unbootable.

Clone should be used only by advanced users who know what they are doing. It is riskier and can result in a loss of data and a failed system. Use a full disk backup and restore, as it's far safer.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

Lucato
Forum Member

I don´t think so, but not sure if I did it.
Anyway...
1) any solution for fixing MBR on Windows 7 64bit?
2) The full disk backup and restore you mentioned works for the system disk? Anyway, it isn´t the same as clone, once I have to have one HD working to get to make the restore, while having the clone if I have a trouble, just unplug and plug the copy and keep working.

Thanks.

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Luis,

Boot to your Windows 7 install media, and from a command prompt open DISKPART and check to see what partition is Active on your drive.

Normally Windows 7 will have two partitions (a hidden System Reserved, and the OS partition). The System Reserved partition is normally the Active partition, but with OEM installs of Windows, there may be more than 2 partitions.

I would attempt changing the partition status to Active one partition at a time and rebooting to see if it worked.

I had a Windows 7 system that would not boot at a Customer site, and the Windows 7 Startup Repair did not fix it, but changing the System Reserved partition to Active status did.

Be sure to also have the hard disk connected to the same controller/port as the original drive was attached.

If you changed the boot order in your BIOS, be sure to change it back to the original settings.

What I tell my friends:
It's not a problem with your computer, it's a short circuit between the chair and the keyboard!
What I tell my Customers:
Whatever the problem is, we can fix it.

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Luis Carlos Torres Lucato wrote:
1) any solution for fixing MBR on Windows 7 64bit?
Yes, it can be fixed. I'll let one of the other MVPs answer who has more experience with that.

2) The full disk backup and restore you mentioned works for the system disk?
Yes

Anyway, it isn´t the same as clone,
Yes, it is. The result is identical, but much safer than cloning. Once a full disk image .tib archive is restored to a drive, the result is the same as if that drive had been the target of a clone done on the date and time that the backup archive was created.

I have to have one HD working to get to make the restore, while having the clone if I have a trouble, just unplug and plug the copy and keep working.
Cloning is much riskier, as you discovered. It's your choice if you want to continue to take such risks. I'm a more advanced user than you, yet I would still prefer to to a full disk backup and restore rather than a clone. All you need is an external HD to which to backup and from which to restore.

If you insist on using the riskier advanced techniques such as cloning, you should learn more about how True Image works. Check out the many user guides and tutorials in the left margin of this forum, particularly Getting Started and Grover's True Image Guides which are illustrated with step-by-step screenshots.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.