Guide to building WinPE 5.0 recovery media running Acronis Backup 11.5 with PENetCfg for network configuration
The following steps are for building a 32 bit WinPE. See the notes below for details about building a 64 bit WinPE.
1. Make sure you have an ADK (either Win8 or Win8.1) installed.
2. Follow the link in my signature and download the ADK version of MustangPEBuilder. Unzip the file and run the exe to install MustangPE.
3. Download the AB&R 11.5 plugin from http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/MustangPEBuilder/Downloads/Files/ABR115… and unzip the file. Move the extracted ABR115 folder to C:\MustangPEBuilder_2_ADK\Plugins.
4. Now go to C:\Program Files or Program Files (x86)\Acronis\BootableComponents\WinPE and unzip WinPE32.zip to a temporary folder. Then move the extracted Files folder to C:\MustangPEBuilder_2_ADK\Plugins\ABR115\Files .
5. Open Plugins.ini at C:\MustangPEBulder_2_ADK\Plugins with notepad. Add the ABR115 plugin to the list like this:
6. Run C:\MustangPEBuilder_2_ADK\MustangPEBuilder.exe and set the path to the ADK and click the Create WinPE ISO button.
7. Burn the ISO.
8. If you would like a USB flash drive, click the Advanced Options button and select a drive letter for the flash drive before you click the Create WinPE ISO button.
9. Boot WinPE and run PENetCfg first. Look at the bottom and click the Network Identification arrow. Set the workgroup if it is not WORKGROUP. WORKGROUP is the default setting in WinPE and is difficult to change without PENetCfg. Close that window and click the Apply button on the main window. Close PENetCfg and run AB&R 11.5. You should be able to browse to your computers under the Network folder.
64 Bit WinPE Notes:
Skip step 2 above and download the 64 bit version of MustangPEBuilder here http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/MustangPEBuilder/Downloads/Files/Setup_… .
The 64 bit version of MustangPE will start with the A43 File Manager. Start PENetCfg with X:\Program Files\PENetCfg\PENetCfg.exe. Start Acronis Backup 11.5 with X:\Program Files\Acronis\BackupAndRecovery\trueimage_starter.exe.
PENetCfg has an issue running in a 64 bit WinPE. PENetCfg requires the tcpipreg services to be running. The tcpipreg.sys driver supplied by Microsoft does not contain a digital signature. Therefore, the tcpipreg service will not run in a 64 bit WinPE. I have supplied a self-signed tcpipreg.sys file with the PENetCfg plugin. Follow the instructions in the ReadMe.txt file in the plugin to make it work.
EDITED March 16, 2014: Reduced the requirements in step 9 above for PENetCfg. Tested with Acronis Backup 11.5 for PC on Windows 8.1 and Acronis Backup Advanced 11.5 for Windows Server on Windows Server 2012.