Skip to main content

Considering updating to 2017, but .....

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 12

I have two Windows 10 systems. One runs 2015, and the other one didn't until an hour ago. The one that has the long history has a problem with the start menu being frozen. It will pop up to the "fold" but nothing works on it. The left clicks to the start menu doesn't work either. That's history.

I installed 2015 on the system that did not have Acronis running on it. The system was fine last night prior to the installation. The start menu worked well enough because I turned off the computer. This morning I ran backup. Now the start menu is frozen in the same way it is on the other system. To me this is the smoking gun. Nothing else new was installed. or changed.

So, I have a question. If I upgrade to 2017 will the problem continue? Does anyone else have this issue? I'm happy to buy an upgrade to 2017, but I'm reluctant to do so if I have to remove Acronis in order for the PC to work properly. Ideas?

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 15489

Victor, I have not encountered any issues with running ATIH 2015 on Windows 10 and have not seen any users in these forums reporting the problem you describe with the start menu being frozen, so very difficult to say why this is being a problem for your computers here?

When you installed ATIH 2015, were you using the final / latest build version installer #6613 or was it an earlier / older installer?

Beginner

Good question, Steve. It was the "current" build and downloaded from the internet. But I don't know what the build number was. I loaded a DVD, and after the DVD loaded a message came up saying that there was a more current version. It downloaded and installed.

I have two Windows 10 CU systems, both with the same problem. Let's talk about the HP laptop because it is mostly fixed. The smoking gun was ATIH 1015 because the problem appeared not after I installed it in the evening but the next day just after I ran a complete backup. To fix the problem, I fell back to an earlier system restore point, and two of the three user accounts have start menus that operate correctly. A third (the one most used, unfortunately) still is "frozen" and inoperative.

Per Microsoft's suggestion, I created a new user account, and it functions normally.

My desktop PC may be a lost cause. I don't have any useful system restore points, and all of the backups I had were not useful-my fault.

I hesitate to re-add Acronis again to my HP laptop, again because it seems to be the smoking gun. I may buy the upgrade to 2017 but for my desktop, but it is unlikely it will have any effect on the dead/frozen menu.

BTW, I ran SFC /scannow and Restore health on the desktop PC, and those came up clean. Accordingly, MS told me to refresh (eliminate and re-install all apps). Ouch.

Thanks for the note. - Vic

Legend

Vic, I can only suggest checking that you do not have any ATIH 2015 tasks which are scheduled to run immediately on start of your Windows computer, and as per your other post, try running in Safe Mode to check that Windows is OK in this way before running any other applications etc.

Beginner

Steve,

Good call on your part. The start menu works just fine in Safe Mode (Appears to have been recently renamed diagnostic mode because that is much more descriptive). Now to find the culprit! I'll start by removing Acronis True Image 2015. If that works to restore the health of the system, then I may buy a fresh copy of 2017. Maybe first I'll go in and shut down any Acronis service I see.

I'll just keep on removing anything I don't use until hopefully I can find the bad actor.

Thank you again,

Vic

Legend

Vic, it is very much a case of 'trial & error' with this sort of problem with using MSCONFIG.EXE to selectively stop / start the various services and programs that get launched at start-up.

In reply to by Steve Smith

Beginner

Thank you again.  Msconfig.exe is less somewhat less drastic than total removal. But there may be some messy buildup as well. Since I have a spare SSD and an older,  but still flawed (non Acronis) backup, I think it makes sense to experiment on that version. 

It may take some time,  but I'll get back you as to what the solution turned out to be. You have been very helpful.  Thank you again. 

Ciao,

Vic