Skip to main content

Acronis 12.5 does not work with USB 3.0?

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 0

I would like to backup a workstation with a bootable Disk and an USB 3.0 Disk.

After the boot Acronis can't see the USB 3.0 Backup device.

Using a USB 3.0 Backup Device works.

Does everyone have the same issue?

Thanks in advance

0 Users found this helpful
Beginner
Comments: 3

Hi Ralf

Bit off that no one has responded yet. Yes I have the same problem with just one of my drives but I'm beginning to think I know what the problem is. Some time back I looked into this and found a post which said something to the effect that if your drive had sector sizes of anything but 512 bytes then it would not be recognised. I've just realised I have another two USB3 drives of 1TB so plugged them in and lo and behold I have access to them using DD12. Not only that but on checking with HD Tune I find they both have sector sizes of 512 bytes. The ONLY drive I do NOT have access to is a 3TB WD My Book which appears to have a sector size of 4096 bytes. Seems mighty odd though that no one else has apparently had the same problem. If you check with something like HD Tune you may find you have a sector size which is NOT 512 bytes.

Tracey

Forum Moderator
Comments: 4633

Hello Ralf, please start a new discussion in Acronis Backup 12.5 forum, as this forum is dedicated to Acronis Disk Director 12. 

Tracey, thank you for your comment! I can confirm, that Acronis Disk Director supports only disks with 512 bytes logical sector size.

Beginner
Comments: 3

I'm asking myself: Why the hell did I bother with Disk Director when its incapable of dealing with anything which does NOT have 512 byte sectors? I think I shall just remove it and not bother with Acronis again. I've already given up with TrueImage and use Macrium Reflect Free instead. I may as well give up with Disk Director as well and stick with any one of a number of freebie partitioning programs which DO handle disks of whatever sector size. Currently I am using Partition Wizard and it does everything I want it to do. Personally I think it a disgrace that Acronis can't be bothered to sort this out when other companies provide free programs that do the same thing that reliably handle disks of whatever sector size. Quite frankly, I never used Disk Director for carrying out any operations on my disks since what I bought it for was to handle my external drive only to find it wouldn't even show it let alone do anything with it!!!

Forum Moderator
Comments: 4633

Hi Tracey, I've added your feedback to the existing feature request (internal ID for reference is ADD-2960).