Skip to main content

Acronis True Image Offline Activation Does Not Work At All

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 7

Ok, I thought that I have the problem activating on XP. I cannot activate the product on Windows 7, it behaves exactly the same as on the XP. You put the activation response, it is accepted apparently, and then the program goes back to please activate screen!!!

My opinion is that the offline activation has not been tested and does not work at all. Can anybody from Acronis tell me what's going on.

BTW, I went to registry editor for a hack of it, and there is a key "ActivoationBlob" with the following value:

{
   "Error" : 0,
   "Status" : "",
   "Value" : "<the activation key I took from Acronis activation page>",
   "Version" : 1
}

I strongly suspect that there is a bug in the program where the "Status" field does not get updated.

In any case the offline activation simply does not work.

Zoran

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 25753

Zoran, sorry to hear of this issue on both your XP and Win 7 computers.

I can only recommend that you open a Support Case direct with Acronis for this matter and let them investigate it further with you.

Beginner

I do have a case with Acronis (03152210) but it's painfully slow and I do not know when I would receive any real help. It's send me this, send me that...

I would really appreciate if you could go and take a look at the registry and see what value is there for:

HKLM/SOFTWARE/Acronis/Settings, key ActivatoionBlob.

This is a Jason file. The field I am really interested in is "Status". I have a hunch that here might be the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Zoran

Legend

Zoran, I have looked in the Windows Registry and do not find any keys even close to what you are posting?

I am running Windows 10 with ATIH 2018.

Beginner

Hi Steve,

That's strange. I have the same set of keys on XP and 7.  Mind you there is only one key that I am looking at ActivatoionBlob (with the spelling mistake) and everything else is a value of that key. Maybe if you just do the registry search starting from the root you would find it. If not than you for your effort.

Zoran

Legend

Zoran, I did search in the Registry for this key and nothing was found, including trying the different key names.

Edit: This may be a difference between Perpetual and Subscription licence types being activated perhaps?  My ATI 2018 is subscription (courtesy of the MVP programme) where I sign-in on the Account page with my Account credentials to validate the subscription.

Beginner

This must be it. I have a perpetual license.

So, I'm almost giving up the hope. I am still awaiting for some reasonable help from the customer support. I'll keep you posted.

Zoran

P.S. The funniest thing is that since my network has some kind of a proxy server I cannot even activate on-line :(.

Legend

Zoran, I intended to ask about any proxy server but had forgotten to do so - activation is known not to work from behind a proxy server!

If you have any way of either bypassing the proxy server or connecting direct via a mobile broadband device etc, then that should work fine!

Beginner
Comments: 2

I have similar problem. I am also behind a proxy. I was able to connect my pc to a mobile network temporarly and activated the product. Disconnected the mobile network and reconnected to my regular network and the program says it needs activation. 

It was activated. Why the trueimage 2018 keep going back to the network to check activation. I even tried offline (meaning network not required) and still says the same thing.

Legend

Yong Ra, what licence do you have for ATI 2018?  If this is a subscription licence then it needs to connect to the Acronis servers in order to work as far as I understand, and this is an issue if you are behind a proxy server.

Please do open a Support Ticket if this is the case.

Beginner

Just for your amusement. Do not open the support case. This is the latest on this issue from The Acronis support team (after I wasted hours and hours on this problem).

---------

This is a follow up email for the case number 03152210.

I have discussed the case with my resources and would like to inform you that this is a known issue with Acronis True Image 2018. The issue has been reported to our development team and they are working on this issue. This will be fixed on the next update for Acronis True Image 2018. However, there is no ETA for the release.

I will get back to you once the issue is fixed on the next update. Please do not hesitate to contact us, should you need further assistance (ha, ha Zoran). We are here to help you.

--------

It is irresponsible from the company to release the product without checking the basic, basic functionality.  It's actually a useless piece of software, unless you want to use it on-line.

Thank you but I do not think I will ever buy another Acronis product.

Legend

Zoran, thank you for sharing the feedback you received for your support case.  I hope that Acronis will make this a high priority issue to fix and produce an update as soon as possible!

Beginner
Comments: 3

I'm experiencing the same issue. I've been working with support for a few weeks. Last week they informed me that there is a fix for this issue that has now been released in version Acronis True Image 2018_10410.  However that did not resolve the issue.

It's frustrating that the application doesn't honor the offline activation and doesn't support a http/https proxy, which should be an easy fix.

After updating to 10410, I still experience the same issue:

1. Start Acronis while connected to the corporate network. Account status says "Activation required! Days remaining: 30" 
  2. disconnect the network cable,  choose "Resolve activation problem" then "Activate offline" and follow the steps to activate offline.  The Account status still says "Activation required! Days remaining: 30" 
  3. Restart Acronis with the network cable still unplugged.  It now shows "successfully activated", 
  4. Plug in the network cable and the status reverts to "Activation required! Days remaining: 30".  Restart Acronis, still says activation required.

Basically Acronis (1) fails to activate normally while connected to the corporate network, (2) can activate offline, but fails to honor the activation when reconnected to the corporate network. (3) fails to sign into my Acronis account from within Acronis while connected to the corporate network (note sign-in via Chrome browser succeeds)

I believe that this is a network issue. Either Acronis True Image is using a port or address blocked by the corporate firewall, or Acronis True Image needs to support a http/https proxy.  This issue exists on both my desktop system and my laptop system while at work on the corporate network.  However, when I take my laptop home (i.e. connected to my wireless network at home), the activation status says "successfully activated". Then when I return to work and connect the laptop to the corporate network the status reverts to "Activation required! Days remaining: 30"

Legend

bthom, sorry but not sure that we can add any value here when you are already working directly with Acronis on this issue.  Only Acronis can resolve the activation issues associated with being on corporate networks or using a proxy server.

The only other suggest is to send a PM to Renata Gubaydullina | Product manager, Acronis True Image to ask her to review your support case and comment on the progress of this.

Beginner

I received the email from the support stating that the problem was fixed. However, after installing the update (which has its own quirks, the situation is the same (as explained nicely by bthorn).

So, I sent a nice email to the support stating that basically nothing has been done. This morning I received another email from the support stating that they would like to take logs from my machine once again ....

Now, I am sure not going to allow them to meddle with my machine again, and I am cutting my losses. If they, by miracle, come with the solution I might (I repeat might) try to install it. Otherwise I treat this as money gone.

This is the email I sent them:

--------------------------------------------

Hi Vicky,

Thank you for you email. I really have no time for this. It is not worth it. Simply you have a problem with your software and you should resolve it. I am sure it is easily repeatable on any computer.

Once you do have the solution please inform me, otherwise I will cut my losses.

Thanks,

Zoran

----------------------------------------------

Zoran

Beginner
Comments: 3

Zoran, wondering if your issue is the same as mine?  If so the following steps should work to register Acronis TI, but the registration only sticks while disconnected from the network (i.e. wireless off & no ethernet connection). Can you confirm?  I've confirmed on 2 systems.  

1. Start Acronis while connected to the network. Account status says "Activation required! Days remaining: 30" 
  2. disconnect any ethernet network cables and turn off wireless, choose "Resolve activation problem" then "Activate offline" and follow the steps to activate offline.  The Account status still says "Activation required! Days remaining: 30" 
  3. Restart Acronis with the network cable still unplugged and wireless still off.  Now Acronis shows "successfully activated"

The workaround for me until Acronis can identify and fix the real root cause is to just do steps 1-3 once a month to reset the 30 day clock.

I'm also thinking of other possible workarounds. Perhaps install port forwarding proxy software on my system that can intercept the Acronis network communication and forward it to my home network via https and open port (e.g. 8080) that will then forward on to Acronis using the original port. Just a thought

Beginner

Yes, It is the same behavior. Furthermore I was not able to install the new release without unplugging the network cable!?

Honestly, I do not think that the user have to be bothered with the basic things, like software being able to be installed properly.

I gave up, but wish you the best.