Skip to main content

Validate That Copied .TIB Files EXACTLY Match Their Source

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 18

I am using True Image 2013, 2014 and 2018 to create custom differential backups on two Windows 7 and one Windows 10 machines.  I need to copy the .TIB files produced by each machine's daily True Image backup to hot swap hard drives located on one of the Windows 7 machines.  These hot swap drives will be removed each morning and sent to offsite secure storage and replaced by a second set of hot swap drives.  The True Image backups from all three Windows machines will be copied to these hot swap drives using Robocopy in a .CMD file.  I have successfully created and tested the .CMD file and copying from all machines works as expected.

After much research I have discovered that the version of Robocopy that I'm using on the Windows 7 machine that contains the hot swap drives (v5.1.10.1027) DOESN'T perform any CRC checking between the source .TIB files and the .TIB files that get created on the hot swap drives.  This is a huge problem for me since I am counting on the copied .TIB files to enable me to recover these machines in the event of a disaster at my office where these machines are located.  I need to be CERTAIN that the copied .TIB files will work if I ever need them to recover from a disaster.

In my research I have discovered that there are utilities that can create a checksum (e.g., MD5, SHA-1, etc.) for both the source .TIB files and their copied counterparts and then compare them to validate that the copied files EXACTLY match the source files.  I have the following questions about whether or not this approach is feasible for .TIB files:

1. Would this approach GUARANTEE that the source .TIB files have not been corrupted during copying?

2. If a checksum utility only works on uncompressed files does that mean it won't work on .TIB files?

The utility that appears to perform automatic checksum validation between source and destination files during copying is TeraCopy.  Try as I might, I can't find any documentation on how to perform this automatic checksum validation using the TeraCopy command line.  I see all kinds of solutions using the TeraCopy Windows GUI, but I need to automate this process using the TeraCopy command line and Windows Task Scheduler.  My question on this topic is:

1. Has anyone successfully used the TeraCopy command line to copy .TIB files and validate their checksums during the copy process?  If so, would you please share your TeraCopy command line solution?

When I began my research I figured that solutions for this problem would be all over Google.  This has not been the case.  Any help on this topic would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks In Advance For Your Help,

Bill Vallance

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 17146

Bill, whilst I have no experience or knowledge of TeraCopy having never used it, if you are able to create a checksum for the source / target files that you are copying and these match, then the two files should be identical.  Any compression used when creating the files should not matter with regards to their checksum values.

You could also do a Validation for your .tib files if you can select these in Windows Explorer for the local and remote locations (right-click then choose Validation from the TrueImage menu option).

Validation is essentially doing a checksum comparison / recalculation where the value calculated from the file is compared with the value embedded with the file. 

The only absolute method of knowing that your .tib files are good for recovery would be to do a recovery from them using a spare drive.  Aside from that, you can browse through the contents of .tib files using Windows Explorer (on the computer with ATI installed for shell integration).

For reference, see KB 1855: How to verify if Acronis installation file has been downloaded correctly which has further information on using checksums in the context of the installation files, but could be useful here too as it gives a command line method for Windows Vista & later OS versions.

Beginner
Comments: 18

Thanks, Steve, for the response.  I'll take a look at the link you posted and see if that might help me.  I appreciate your insight on file checksums and whether or not they would be affected by compression.