Skip to main content

Upgrade to TI 2019 Breaks Win 10 1809 system restore

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 38

I chipped in on another similar topic -

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-2019-forum/windows-10-system-restore#comment-480330

but mine different enough that I starting my own thread.

After posting in other thread.. and not getting confirmations I thought I would go ahead and try again. So this time, I  did another full backup/image of my C drive, and checked just before doing the TI 2019 upgrade that system restore was working - and it was, just fine.

So just to be extra careful - I turned off system restore, and exited (completely exited.. not just pause protection) my Antivirus (Kaspersky total security), and then went ahead with the TI 2019 install/update.

TI reported the update as successful.. I went into TI and all my TI 2018 backups looked to be recognised etc .. all looked good. I checked system restore.. and that was still working .. so I thought I was OK.. but Just to be sure, I rebooted.. and when I came back - I checked system restore again - and now it was broken. With the same error as I reported last time. (I did take screen shot - but lost after restore of C drive)

So the break of system restore def related to the upgrade to TI 2019. And it a pig of an error, in that I uninstalled TI 2019, but system restore remained broken. I did a sfc and DCIM fix run - but it remained broken. So I ended up having to restore again (and again - Acronis handled that beautifully)... so I back to having TI 2018 installed. Also means any logs from update will be lost. 

Anyone seeing same thing? I know Sys restore is prob not commonly used, but it cant be just me.. my WIn 10 install was fresh a few months ago.. and upgraded to Win 10 1809 cleanly and my machine works perfectly (I am a bit OCD about my machine working well). 

Any help appreciated.. Fire away if you have questions.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 17517

Yoji, I am not seeing this issue myself with Win 10 1809 64-bit and ATI 2019 build 14610 along with System Restore enabled for my OS C: drive.

Please download / run as Administrator the Acronis VSS Doctor tool to see if this points up any issues related to the System Volume Information folders which are shared between VSS and System Restore?

Forum Member

Thanks Steve.. I have attached  the report.. It does report a couple of issues.. but I think its rubbish? Its only reporting issues with the system reserved partition on my C drive.. i.e. the one completely set up by Windows.. and one I have nothing to do with.. so how can it be a problem?  and I am reluctant to let the VSS doctor "fix" it..

I could let it fix if you really think it a good idea.. I do have a backup and could restore yet again if needed..

Please take a look at the report and let me know.

Cheers 

Attachment Size
480445-160564.txt 8.99 KB
Legend

The VSS Doctor report looks normal other than the low free space on the MSR partition which shouldn't be an issue if your backups are running fine.

The next suggestion would be to run CHKDSK /F against your main OS partition in case there are any file system issues. 

Forum Member

Thanks Steve... Run it - but like I say - I OCD about my machine - so as expected - no issues reported

(I don't normally run Chkdsk - but I do keep close eye on SMART status of my drives)

Checking file system on C:

The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.

Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

376064 file records processed.

File verification completed.

5176 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

239 reparse records processed.

451546 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.

0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

239 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...

Cleaning up 2452 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.

Cleaning up 2452 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.

Cleaning up 2452 unused security descriptors.

Security descriptor verification completed.

37742 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...

40156744 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.

No further action is required.

219597820 KB total disk space.

49868872 KB in 145154 files.

94180 KB in 37743 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

492660 KB in use by the system.

65536 KB occupied by the log file.

169142108 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

54899455 total allocation units on disk.

42285527 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:

00 bd 05 00 7c ca 02 00 6d 4a 05 00 00 00 00 00 ....|...mJ......

a0 00 00 00 4f 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....O...........

Windows has finished checking your disk.

Please wait while your computer restarts.

Legend

Yoji, sorry but am running out of ideas here for this issue other than to suggest opening a Support Case with Acronis and see if they can find anything amiss?

Do you have any other computers where you could check this issue?

Forum Member

Thanks Steve,

Yes - my License is for 3 machines.. I have my wife's and daughters. So I will try on theirs and report back. Wont be till tomorrow now (need make sure they have good backup etc before I try)

Cheers

Forum Member

Well - curiosity got the better for me .. and I did it now...

VERY annoying - it worked fine.. updated fine.. and system restore continues to work fine (after reboot as well).

So what the hell could be breaking it on my machine (which is kept much cleaner/better than my wife's)? Wife's machine is Win 10 1809 64 bit as well..

I will try my daughters machine tomorrow (She not live here.. so def will not be tonight)

Cheers

Legend

Hmmm, interesting and strange!  No idea why only your computer should have this issue with System Protection just when ATI 2019 is installed.

Forum Member

Steve,

OK - as eluded  to.. it REALLY bugs me when my comp not working 100%.. so I thought I would have one last go, only this time.. not update.. but do a uninstall TI 2018 and then clean install TI 2019.. but with EXTRA care.. so I did:

Uninstall TI 2018
DISM
SFC (it did say it found/fixed some corruption).
Restart
Check Restore working (it was)
Exit Kaspersky (not pause protection - full exit)
Install TI 2019
reboot
Exit Kaspersky
Check restore working (it was)
Start TI 2019 and log in.
Reboot (and leave Kaspersky running)
Check restore working (it was)

So I seem to have got it working … I guess you would say the SFC was prime candidate for fix - but per prev posts.. I did run after having problem in past  - and it did not fix the prob.. so I don't know.
May be the fresh install instead of the update?
Who knows?
Anyway - I DO seem to have TI 2019 running AND system restore working... horray :) 

Only down side.. I lost all my backup configs.. so will have to set them all up again (minor pain)

Thoughts?

Legend

Yoji, first, well done for keeping on to resolve this issue and get it all going properly.  The clean install is the most likely key factor here given the problem only came after upgrading, but I guess the other actions with DISM and SFC didn't harm in ensuring a good platform for the install.

ATI 2018 & later have introduced an option on the main Settings page to save your task configuration settings to a zip file, then later to import these back again, but this does not preserve the activity history for your tasks, as the database is not included!

You could try copying back the C:\ProgramData\Acronis folders from your most recent backup image which would put back your backup tasks and history etc provided you turn off AAP and also stop all Acronis Services / end all Processes first (else files are locked).  Make a backup of the current working folders / files first as a precaution.

Forum Member

Thanks Steve,

I only have 3 backup profiles - and I know them well - so only a matter of 15 mins to set them up again fresh, and since I have a nice clean install of TI 2019 now - may as well have a nice clean/fresh DB as well. 

Will keep a few old .TIF's from the old backups for a month or so .. just in case

Thanks again for sticking with me through this. All the best :)

Forum Member

Quick update, just to say that since new version just released (14690) I was nervous - but took the plunge and let it update from within TI 2019. Pleased to say that the update went through fine.. and system restore was not broken :)

It seemed a relatively small download - so may be not the same upgrade process as is done from the full 535MB ish package. but whatever.. it worked and did not break system restore :)

Cheers 

Legend

Yoji, thanks for the update and great to hear the latest update build went smoothly for you without breaking anything!

Beginner
Comments: 4

I basically spent half my day today trying to fix this issue and I found out it is because of a simple registry entry that is getting removed.  See this blog, this is related to Kaspersky but it applies here as I have found it missing on both my machines that have Acronis installed but not on my laptop that just has Kaspersky.   Basically the "volsnap" entry is missing in the UpperFilters registry setting for your drive volumes so then Windows System Restore doesn't work because it doesn't know that it should be using volsnap to capture the restore points.  Once you add volsnap to the list along with any other providers like Acronis and Kasperky, reboot and problem fixed!!!!

Credit goes to the below blog post.

https://rjcuk.blogspot.com/2016/09/kaspersky-removal-tool-bug.html

Legend

Scott, thank you for sharing this solution and the link to the page describing it.

Forum Member

Interesting.. .

If you look at my description though - it does not correlate with the use of a Kaspersky removal..

In my scenario - it was related to the update of Acronis. Of Course,  I been in this game long enough to know that things can get complicated..  but I can categorically state.. my Windows System restore was working for a considerable  time after a removal/reinstall/update of Kaspersky (many months), and was somehow triggered by the Acronis update (I detailed very carefully the sequence of events in my explanation.)

Since I do use Kaspersky - your explanation is certainly of interest - but it also needs fit with my explanation somehow.

Thanks for sharing .. Cheers

Beginner

Yoji wrote:

Interesting.. .

If you look at my description though - it does not correlate with the use of a Kaspersky removal..

In my scenario - it was related to the update of Acronis. Of Course,  I been in this game long enough to know that things can get complicated..  but I can categorically state.. my Windows System restore was working for a considerable  time after a removal/reinstall/update of Kaspersky (many months), and was somehow triggered by the Acronis update (I detailed very carefully the sequence of events in my explanation.)

Since I do use Kaspersky - your explanation is certainly of interest - but it also needs fit with my explanation somehow.

Thanks for sharing .. Cheers

Yoji I think you misunderstand.  I found that blogpost while researching the Window event ID that was popping up every time I tried to open System Restore 0x81000203.  The it was the same issue that the guy found with Kaspersky but not caused by Kaspersky in this case but caused by the Acronis install.  Basically the Acronis installed added an entry into the registry and somehow wiped out the volsnap entry.  Check out the screenshot I added to post.  It shows under the UpperFilters registry entry 3 different backup services.  

klbackupdisk - this is added by Kaspersky Total Security and used for their backup software
volsnap - This is Microsoft's Windows Volume Snapshot used by System Restore and other VSS items
fltsrv - This is the Acronis one that was added when Acronis was installed.

I checked 4 total machines I own all with Windows 10 1809.  Two of the machines have both Kaspersky and Acronis True Image 2019 build 14690 and both had the issue with System Restore 0x81000203 error.  Both where missing the volsnap entry from that registry setting and only had the other 2 (klbackupdisk fltsrv).  Once I manually entered volsnap so I had all 3 like in the screenshot this fixed the problem on those 2 machines.  

I had one other machine that has Kaspersky but does not have Acronis.  This machine was working perfectly.  It had both klbackupdisk and volsnap.  I had a fourth machine that I have neither Acronis nor Kaspersky on it.  It was also working perfectly, in the registry it only has the volsnap.  As a test I removed volsnap from that machine leaving nothing there, rebooted and found that it broke it and gave me the 0x81000203 error.

So basically what I was trying to say is the problem is the missing volsnap entry and how I found it was in a post about Kaspersky but the missing volsnap is the link between both problems.  Do not use that registry fix from the blogpost as it will only put the volsnap entry in the registry and remove the fltsrv needed for Acronis.  So if you want to fix the issue you just need to edit that registry entry and add in volsnap on the next line down from fltsrv and any others you may have in there like me I have all three of those right now.

I hope that helps.

Attachment Size
482753-161411.png 147.95 KB
Forum Member

Holy Crap - how inept are Acronis?  :(

I just upgrade to latest version - 17750 and guess what? system restore is broken again :(

So In spite of Scotts recommendation - I applied the reg fix per the bog - and restore is fixed. (God knows if Acronis will still work.. )

But why am I having to STILL mess with this? why has Acronis not fixed such that people like me who use Kaspersky don't have such problems?

I said I would not update from Acronis 2018 to 19, and repented (just look at history of my posts),,, when I get that email to upgrade to Acronis 2020.. the air is going to be pretty blue ;)

Anyone want to tell me I should keep faith?

Cheers

Forum Hero
Comments: 7239

Yoji,

Please contact support about this issue.  It is the best way to bring the problem to the attention of developers.

Forum Member

Enchantech wrote:

Yoji,

Please contact support about this issue.  It is the best way to bring the problem to the attention of developers.

OK - have raised ticket

Thank you for contacting Acronis!

This message is to confirm that your inquiry has been received and a new case 03746568 has been created. Please do not submit your request more than once; multiple submissions will not result in faster response times.

Thank you again for your patience. 

Will keep you posted. 

Beginner

Yoji, glad that fixed the issue for you.  I just upgrade two machines to Acronis True Image 2019 Build 17750 and it broke system restore on my wife's computer but did not break my system restore this time.  It must be kind of random.  Last time I had to fix this on both machines.  Glad I saw your post or I would not have noticed hers was broken again.

Forum Member

They called me.. and when I said I had fixed it - they seemed to lose interest a bit (as the logging they were wanting to do - would not be on a broken system any more). I pointed them back to this thread - and said they surely have enough info to check/try reproduce themselves to get to bottom of it. They said they would pass to developers..

Today I got this email

Thank you for contacting Acronis Customer Central. My name is Sujoy.

This is a follow-up mail post the telephonic conversation you had earlier with Support Engineer Vijaya.

I thank you for bringing this to our notice regarding the issue on breaking system restore point post updating/upgrading Acronis True Image 2019. I appreciate your efforts and the time you have shown and able to resolve the issue on your own. As like informed earlier we have notified this to our management and development team of Acronis and we thank you for sharing the feedback. It is only through your valuable inputs that we can identify and work on our areas of improvement.

However, I will leave this case open for few days and in case if you need any further assistance please feel free to contact us and we will be glad to assist you.

The case number for your reference is 03746568

I look forward to your response.

So no real commitment to fix.. sounds a bit of a brush off..

I did wonder if I should try re-apply the latest patch and see if I could break it again (just removing the reg key fix/change seems a bit of a cheat).

Or if anyone else experiences.. may be refer back to this ticket and let them investigate.. before fixing.

Anyway - underwhelming response.. quell surprise :/

Cheers

Forum Moderator
Comments: 4612

Hello Everyone,

If you experience the following issue: Windows System Restore stopped working after updating Acronis True Image

Please raise a support ticket and send us the following information for investigation:

- a couple of screenshots illustrating the faulty behavior 
- Acronis system report from the affected machine

Please let me know, if you have opened a support ticket, so that we could speed up the investigation process.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation! Feel free to contact me directly, if any questions or concerns. 

Forum Member

Thanks Ekaterina,

But if you had taken trouble to read the thread, you would see I HAVE raised a ticket... and that the specific issue on my machine HAS been resolved.

Your response is that awful "Faux helpful" type - where you want to be seen to help .,.. but actually to busy to care at all .

Anyway for you/everyone else, Acronis support are also in the faux helpful mode and this was my latest response to them re my ticket

Thanks,  but if all you can do is send me template emails - please dont bother.

As I have made clear - in email and in the forum posts - the immediate issue has been fixed on my machine.

The only way I will consider the root issue fixed if you come back with something like

"Thanks- Our developers have reviewed the info - have identified a root fix -  which will be incorporated into future updates. This means we don’t expect you to see a repeat of this issue in future"

Best regards

Perhaps I should also have stipulated that we should see a knowledge base article raised by them and made avail, along with their own registry fix... so others, who have not read this post and only gone to official Acronis site can find and fix.

Cheers

Forum Moderator
Comments: 4612

Yoji wrote: 

Our developers have reviewed the info - have identified a root fix -  which will be incorporated into future updates. 

Exactly that's why the RnD need system reports from the affected systems - to analyze, find the root cause and fix asap. The issue is not 100% reproducible to be simulated in our labs. 

Forum Member

Ekaterina wrote:

Exactly that's why the RnD need system reports from the affected systems - to analyze, find the root cause and fix asap. The issue is not 100% reproducible to be simulated in our labs. 

Considering I said up front on ticket that I have fixed it … what do you actually want from me?  I don't think I am being unreasonable.. you have the exact registry fix I applied to fix my machine.. you could ask me to run a system report again (but when your engineers rang.. although I offered, they lost interested when I said I didn't have problem any more). I could probably even try and reproduce by removing the specific reg key I added to fix..

So with a sys report on my exact config.. with the exact reg fix to fix.. or even ask me back out reg fix, reproduce and then run sys report? or even try reapply the patch and see if it breaks it again (if that even  poss)..  

All of these options might get a good engineer close enough to work out what going wrong. But you need lead.. no point me going ahead if you then don't consider it a valid scenario/test.. I would just be wasting my time.

You have to meet me half way and actually engage.. and not just send me bot generated emails, or take side swipes at me in forums.. 

Beginner
Comments: 1

I had the same issue on 2019, updated to 2020, did not resolve the issue.  Looked into all the acronis published articles on the issue nothing resolved the problem.  Turned out the problem was an issue with the mssql vss service, ->services.msc->SQL Service VSS Writer, disable.  Then everything worked fine.  that service was throwing errors in vss doctor, but the tool obviously didn't say why, or tell me how to fix the issue.

So i guess basic rule that should exist in the acronis faq is, run vss doctor, if any vss write service fails, disable it and stuff will work again.

did dead monkeys test this?