Skip to main content

Try & Decide won't start - how can it be turned off?

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 48

Inside this folder:
C:\ProgramData\Acronis\TndLogs

Log files are constantly being written to, every few seconds, with the following text:

[20190319-183849-397][tnd][T] Initialize Tnd API
[20190319-183849-397][tnd][E] Failed to open control device '\\.\Global\TndControl2440': status 2
[20190319-183849-397][tnd][E] Failed to initialize: error 0x2

On my one PC, the logs had already reached more than 600 MB in size.

According to this article:

https://kb.acronis.com/content/46475

Try&Decide can't start if BitLocker is enabled. That must be the problem, because I use BitLocker on all my computers.

Unfortunately, that article doesn't say how to completely disable Try & Decide. I need to prevent this error being constantly written to the logs. It's using up disk space and keeping my laptop busy writing to its SSD (and therefore wasting battery life as well).

How can I stop Try & Decide from trying to start so that these errors stop being constantly written to the log files?

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 16424

Have you actually enabled Try & Decide on this PC?
If yes, was this enabled prior to enabling BitLocker?

I cannot open T&D on my computer because it detects that a BitLocker drive is present!

If you had enabled T&D before BitLocker, then you may need to remove BitLocker in order to disable T&D again!

Forum Member
Comments: 48

No, I never enabled it. I assume, from your reply, that you don't have the same logs on your PC, or you haven't looked for them before posting.

Legend

I only have 3 T&D logs on my computer adding up to just over 8MB in size, so not seeing the same level of logging as you are reporting here.

Legend

Grindax, I would recommend opening a Support Case direct with Acronis for this issue with logging and point them to the older ATI 2016 Topic you found.

There are options provided for turning on/off debug logs for various Acronis components but not for Try & Decide - see KB 58243: Acronis True Image: Collecting Debug Logs

It would be good if all such logging could be controlled and just used when needed for diagnostic purposes.

Forum Hero
Comments: 7479

It may be possible to build custom win pe with the MVP winpe builder and use manage-bde -unlock to unlock the drive.  Then use the Acronis rescue media to disable T&D (if it is somehow enabled).  I have a few logs - not sure what is writing to them either as I have never used T&D.  

Legend

Rob, the OP has said that T&D was never enabled and that the issue with logging is now fixed after using a registry fix from the other referenced forum topic from 2016.

Forum Hero
Comments: 7023

I have never enabled and find that TnD logs holds 166 files and 273 MB on my system.  I am not real concerned about that but I will keep an eye on it.  I see what appears to be the same error as the OP in most of these.

Legend

Bob, the older forum topic gave a registry import file with the following entries (neither of which exist on my computer!) which turn off the logging for T&D.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis\Tnd]
"TraceFormat"=dword:00000000
"TraceOutput"=dword:00000007
"TraceLevel"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Acronis\Tnd]
"TraceFormat"=dword:00000000
"TraceOutput"=dword:00000007
"TraceLevel"=dword:00000000
Forum Hero
Comments: 7023

Steve,

I checked and I do not have those reg keys either.