Skip to main content

TrueImageMonitor.exe constantly logging to C:\ProgramData\Acronis\TndLogs

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 7

Hi,

On my machine, I noticed that TrueImageMonitor.exe writes to a log file in C:\ProgramData\Acronis\TndLogs approximately once a second. On my machine that uses up about 12MB/day. Over a month and a half the directory is over 500MB and there does not seem to be any automatic log rotation to reduce the disk usage.

The majority of the log files contain:

[Tnd][20160113-014846-622] Trace:api.cpp(218):TndGetSessions: Get sessions
[Tnd][20160113-014846-622] Trace:api.cpp(231):TndGetSessions: Driver is not running, there is no sessions
[Tnd][20160113-014846-622] Trace:api.cpp(683):TndFree: Free buffer 05374808

Is this a bug? Perhaps some verbose debug logging was accidentally left on in the released product?

Let me know if you need any specific information to reproduce this problem. I'm seeing this on two machines, so I expect that it will be easy to reproduce (just look in your C:\ProgramData\Acronis\TndLogs directory).

Thanks.

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Member
Comments: 80

Hi LongFileName,

This is default logging for Try&Decide function, which helps us to better troubleshoot problems related with it (should there be any).

In order to stop the logging download the attached file, unzip and run it.

It will modify the registry editor and disable the logging.

Attachment Size
324361-125176.zip 289 bytes
Forum Member
Comments: 80

Hi LongFileName,

This is default logging for Try&Decide function, which helps us to better troubleshoot problems related with it (should there be any).

In order to stop the logging download the attached file, unzip and run it.

It will modify the registry editor and disable the logging.

Beginner
Comments: 7

Thanks, the registry changes worked to disable the logging.

My friendly suggestion is that the default logging should not be so frequent. At the rate I was seeing, this logging would consume ~4GB/year. That seems like a lot for all True Image users who would encounter this and need to contact Acronis to learn the registry solution, and then have to apply it to their system. It seems like it would save users and Acronis a lot of time and energy if the default logging can be reduced.

Thanks.

Beginner
Comments: 10

Completely agree with LongFileName's suggestions to either reduce the frequency of the logs or auto-delete the old ones.  Throw in the auto real-time file scan of most security suites, and this is a huge waste of system resources on a rarely needed file.

Thanks for the patch to stop this for now.

Forum Member
Comments: 48

Try & Decide logging is still a problem, even in True Image 2019.

I started a separate discussion thread before finding this one.

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-2019-forum/try-decide-wont-start-how-can-it-be-turned

I've now imported the .reg file and the logging appears to have stopped. But it would be even better if this was not necessary. And even better if Try & Decide wasn't constantly trying to run in the background even though I am using BitLocker.

Legend
Comments: 16748

Grindax, I would recommend opening a Support Case direct with Acronis for this issue with logging and point them to this older ATI 2016 Topic.

There are options provided for turning on/off debug logs for various Acronis components but not for Try & Decide - see KB 58243: Acronis True Image: Collecting Debug Logs

It would be good if all such logging could be controlled and just used when needed for diagnostic purposes.