Skip to main content

Universal Deploy Dell Optiplex 3050 to Dell Optiplex 7020

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 4

I created an image of a Dell Optiplex 3050 with Acronis snap deploy 5 and was hoping to deploy the image to a Dell optiplex 7020 using Universal deploy. I have the Optiplex 7020 CAB files from Dell on a flash drive and the CAB is unzipped. Every time I try to deploy the image the Optoplex never boots up. The other question is What drivers do I need to get this machine to boot? Here is the name of the CAB file that I got off of Dell's website
7020-WIN10-A04-KXG7W.CAB. Also, I am running this booting in to the Acronis boot media and using Stand Alone deploy

The Dell Optiplex was created using Online imaging and I am trying to deploy the image using Stand-Alone deploy.

The Dell Optiplex 3050 is Windows 10 64-Bit but the Dell Optiplex 7020 had Windows 7 downgrade and was 32-Bit

I have injected all network,video,chip set drivers using the Files-To-Transfer before I get to the using Universal Deploy. 

In the Universal deploy settings I have pointed to the .CAB folder that I got from Dell and extracted all the INF, SYS files .

Thanks for all the help

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 8121

Is the 7020 capable of running 64 bit OS? I imagine so, but check yo be sure it's not a neutered 32-bit only firmware since it shipped with a 32-bit OS.

Also Make sure all secure boot is disabled in the bios and that after deployment, it is the first boot priority.

Was the 7020 set to legacy only and are you deploying a UEFI image from the 3050?  I would guess yes in both of these

So, if this was me, 1) build winpe rescue media and test with an offline rescue media deployment. Winpe may help, especially if there is any unique hardware in the 7020 such as a newer nic or PCIe nvme drive (which there probably isn't since it came with win 7 32 bit - but just in case).

2) make sure you boot the rescue media to match the backed up image type. If it contains a legacy image, use the Dell f12 one time boot menu and be sure to launch the rescue media in legacy mode... If it's a GPT / UEFI image, make sure to boot in UEfI mode with the one time boot menu .how you start the rescue media is critical for the disk partition type during the restore.

After deployment, gigstraight into the bios and  make sure the Dell bios is set to boot in the correct UEFI or legacy mode of the main system hard drive. You likely need to ensure it is pointing to the uefi bootloader option in the bios and not legacy mode. 

3) seeing as how these are both windows 10, or at least that you're using Windows 10 64 bit in your deployed image, try not using UR or hardware generalization at first. Windows 10 is pretty good at being able to boot fine and adjust drivers on the fly.

And... Do you have an Enterprise or retail box license of Windows 10 64 bit? If not, this may be pointless as you wont be able to switch from 32 bit to 64bit since the hardware (motherboard) is licensed by the original or license type. I've never actually tried to relicense 32bit to 64bit so I could be wrong, but windows 10 is activated based in the OEM license it originally came with and this is not a one for one swap since you are converting Win7 to Win10 and 32bit to 64 bit - double whammy with the major OS versions being different.

Beginner

Thanks Bobbo_3C0X1 for you reply. The 7020 did come with Windows 7 64-bit. Thanks for the info on the UEFI and legacy mode. Question: Since the 7020 uses BIOS and not UEFI when I deploy the image from the Dell 3050 and before I boot into the stand alone mode on the Dell 7020 should I select legacy BOIS to boot into?

Forum Hero

Michael Houser wrote:

Question: Since the 7020 uses BIOS and not UEFI when I deploy the image from the Dell 3050 and before I boot into the stand alone mode on the Dell 7020 should I select legacy BOIS to boot into?

Kind of tricky - the answer is, it depends.

It is possible to deploy legacy to legacy, UEFI to UEFI, and in some cases, legacy to UEFI.  But, you can never go back from UEFI to legacy (well, and not be bootable).  And to go from legacy to UEFI, the bios has to support it and be configured properly so there is a bit of user involvement that has to be handled outside of Acronis.  If all is configured in the bios correctly, it should be do-able though.

So, is the original backup.tib of a UEFI system?  If so, then you should still be able to go into the Dell bios on the new one and switch to UEFI mode first. 

https://forum.acronis.com/sites/default/files/comment_attachments/2016/07/378318-132055.jpg

Then boot the rescue media in UEFI mode so when the image is deployed, it creates the correct GPT and EFI layout and the bios will already be ready for it.    

https://forum.acronis.com/sites/default/files/comment_attachments/2016/07/378318-132037.jpg

https://forum.acronis.com/sites/default/files/comment_attachments/2016/07/378318-132040.jpg 

https://forum.acronis.com/sites/default/files/comment_attachments/2016/07/378318-132046.jpg

https://forum.acronis.com/sites/default/files/comment_attachments/2016/07/378318-132052.jpg

Beginner

When deploying the image to the 7020 I didn't re-enable UEFI, I think that is where my problem was. Apparently the 7020 do have a UEFI BIOS? I think that is the case because looking at the BIOS screen on a 7020 with out an OS its is a GUI type BIOS. It seems strange that UEFI and BIOS seem to co-exist because I read the UEFI was going to take the place of BIOS.

Forum Hero

Yup, most modern systems support UEFI and legacy. However they are configured by the manufacturer based on the OS type and hardware installed. Pretty much every Dell I've touched in the last 7 years is UEFI and legacy capable.