Skip to main content

ATI 2019 Mac Backup Schemes

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 2

I've gone through the ATI 2019 Documentation at: https://www.acronis.com/en-us/support/documentation/ATI2019/index.html

However, this documentation clearly differs when using the Mac / Apple version of the software. It's close, but does not completely correlate. I'm specifically looking for how to setup / alter "Backup Schemes" for backups that I create. I do not see Backup Scheme options. I see options for Schedule, Cleanup, Encryption, Exclusions, and Network. (see attached photo)

Cleanup provides the option to limit a "Maximum number of versions" and offers to auto-delete "obsolete local or cloud versions" of files. (see attached photo) What does this mean? Is this a rewording or different view point of Backup Schemes?

Or is the Mac version just crippled in this regard?

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Moderator
Comments: 4737

Hello Thomas,

On Mac the default backup scheme is always incremental - the first backup version contains all the data selected for backup. The subsequent versions contain only data changes (incremental backups) that occurred since the previous backup version. All the backup versions are stored in a single backup file. 

Currently it is possible to store up to 20 versions in the chain (this limitation is planned to be removed in the next product version). When you create the twenty-first version, Acronis True Image 2019 automatically deletes the oldest backup. Optionally, you may want changing the cleanup rules to remove older backups faster. 

Beginner

Thanks for responding - so on the 21st backup then the oldest backup is the full backup? A new full backup is done with 20 more incrimentals?

This is where I'm confused - how does this versioning behavior correlate with the traditional wintel PC backup schemes?

Is it possible to alter the default mac ATI incremental backup scheme? To get a full backup every time - what do I alter to achieve this? Next, What if i want 5 incrementals and then a new full backup on the sixth?

i’ve had a back up of my iMac configured for about two months now and it has only ever generated incrimentals. It was created using default settings. So by the 21st should it not have created a new full backup?

Example: a particular file I want backed up is a VM.  Every time the scheduled task runs I want a full backup of the file. I’m not really concerned about previous backups so a maximum of 2 full backups. i.e. the previous backup and the current backup.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8216

My understanding is the scheme is like incrementals for life. They're using this in the cloud as well. Basically, each new backup should just be a small subset with only the 1st one being large (of course that depends on how much has changed since the last backup ran though).

https://kb.acronis.com/content/61596

Beginner

Thanks Bobbo. Right so I can get the concept of a big first initial backup with incrimentals along the way. But isn't there a weakness to this strategy in that - in the event I need to use the backup - ATI needs to restore the initial backup and then every incremental along the way? I mean, like I'm a PC guy who needs to work on a Mac, so maybe I'm oblivious, is there an advantage (or a necessity) to this 'versioning' style of backup for Macs vs traditional PC style backups where a new full backup is done every X number of day?

I don't get why the Mac and PC versions are (or have to be) different - but that isn't really my question. I'm trying to understand how I can get a full backup of a folder every time using the Mac ATI 2019 software or a full backup after every X number of backups.

From that KB you linked to it just seems like Mac ATI 2019 isn't as capable as the Windows version so maybe this behavior I desire isn't available for the Mac version.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8216

I wish I could answer the thought process of the backup differences offered between he Mac version vs Windows version, but can't. I've seen other products use the incremental for life method as well and it somehow works.  Acronis is doing this with cloud backups too.

I kind of agree that ATI on MAC is not as robust as Windows. Mac support hasn't been around as long in Acronis and seems to keep progressing. I do think the cloud backup and ability to backup Parallels and boot camp provide something extra that Time Machine can't, but if you're not using those, then Time Machine already does a lot well as a native MacOS backup tool.

Forum Moderator
Comments: 4737

Thomas Ramsey wrote: 

I don't get why the Mac and PC versions are (or have to be) different - but that isn't really my question. I'm trying to understand how I can get a full backup of a folder every time using the Mac ATI 2019 software or a full backup after every X number of backups.

Hello Thomas

Acronis True Image for Mac uses a different type of archive due to peculiarities of Apple systems, hence various features might differ from those implemented in Windows.  

ATI needs to restore the initial backup and then every incremental along the way?

You'll be able to restore from any recovery point like you do in Windows, the difference lies only in the way data is stored in the Mac archive. Instead of 10 full backups you'll have 1 full backup + 9 containers with unique data not present in 1. 

From that KB you linked to it just seems like Mac ATI 2019 isn't as capable as the Windows version so maybe this behavior I desire isn't available for the Mac version.

If you want to keep only full images, you'd need to create a new backup plan every time you run backup..In this case there will be a separate archive created for each task. Within an existing archive it's not possible to create more than one (initial) full backup, the app will always save only changed data.