Skip to main content

m2 SSD drive not seen by Acronis... only my regular SATA shows

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 4

i have an acer A717-72G laptop and wanted t create an image of the M2 SSD but only my regular SATA is seen.. i have read on another similar post about this.. but it was talking about changing in the BIOS from raid to AHCI?? the only problem is that in the BIOS my only option is UEFI under boot section.. there isnt a lot to be changed in this BIOS.. so what can i do to be able to see this??? i get the same issue when i try to run Disk Director as well. how do i create an image.. thanks in advance...

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 18017

How are you trying to create the image here of your NVMe M.2 SSD drive?

If the drive is recognised and accessible within Windows, then the ATI 2015 application installed in Windows should be able to see and backup the drive.

If you are using the bootable Acronis Rescue media to try to make the image, then I would recommend upgrading to a more recent version of ATI which will allow you to create the bootable rescue media using the files from your Windows Recovery Environment for WinPE media, that in turn will include support for NVMe M.2.

If your NVMe M.2 SSD is using RAID for the SATA controller mode, (as many such devices do for best performance), then you may need to inject the Intel RST drivers into the WinPE media.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8204

Is this a Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 system... to clarify? Need to know to determine if you need a rescue media built with WinRE or Windows ADK.  If Windows 10, you're in good shape.

Acer's have some of the worst bios - very limited to user changes.  And unfortunately, the default Linux rescue media does not support PCIE NVME drives in RAID mode (especially in 2015 rescue media).  A simple "work-a-round" is to go into the bios and switch to AHCI temporarily so it's detected, restore it and then switch back to RAID or RAID-on when possible.  But as you found, this isn't possible on the Acer.

When I had my previous Acer 2-in-1 from Costco, I did not have a PCIE NVME drive in it.  But, just to get it to boot to any rescue media required that I go into the bios advanced security and disable secure boot.  To do that, I first had to delete all keys (they can be recreated by turning it back on if you need/want later) save and exit.  Then reboot and go back in and disable secure boot and save and exit.  Then, I believe there was an option to enable CSM (legacy) which allowed me to boot external OS like rescue media.

Assuming you're able to get to a point where it detects a bootable USB rescue media (try it without changing the bios first just to see what it will let you do or not - pretty sure secure boot has to be off though on these), then you should be able to try more.  Unfortunately, I don't believe 2015 will do the trick natively as you're going to need WinPE or WinRE to do this instead for the added driver support of IRST (RAID for PCIE NVME) and it did not have a good method for creating this rescue media until late 2018.  We built a custom MVP rescue media builder, but it only works with 2016 and newer.

Most likely, you will need to upgrade to 2019 (at least the trial version which will allow you to create new rescue media in WinPE or WinRE) If you're system is working and can boot to the OS.

Once 2019 trial (or full version is installed) use the rescue media builder advanced option and ensure WinRE is selected if you have a Windows 10 OS.  Otherwise, you'll need to download Windows 10 ADK - both of these install the top one first then the second one - it's about 6GB in total

Once installed you can then use the advanced rescue media builder to build a Windows 10 PE rescue media with ADK.  

The key behind this is it will have all the drivers you need for PCIE NVME drives in RAID or AHCI mode out of the box with the current Windows 10 ADK versions. And since you can't do the AHCI bios work-a-round, this is probably your only option.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8204

Just to clarify, I'm assuming all backup and recovery from rescue media.  It is possible to backup entirely from Windows, assuming the drive is initialized and formatted and has drivers supported by the native OS (Windows 7 is going to be a problem).  

Regardless, in any full disk recovery, you're going to need rescue media for this drive if you have to restore the entire thing because if it needs to reboot from Windows, it will try to create a temp Linux recovery enviornment and it's not going to find that disk to restore too... plus being how neutered the Acer bios is, it may cause you more trouble with your ability to boot into Windows after.  Don't try any full disk restores from the Windows GUI on this system (file / folder restores are fine, but a full disk OS restore will be trouble on this system).

Beginner

Steve Smith wrote:

How are you trying to create the image here of your NVMe M.2 SSD drive?

If the drive is recognised and accessible within Windows, then the ATI 2015 application installed in Windows should be able to see and backup the drive.

If you are using the bootable Acronis Rescue media to try to make the image, then I would recommend upgrading to a more recent version of ATI which will allow you to create the bootable rescue media using the files from your Windows Recovery Environment for WinPE media, that in turn will include support for NVMe M.2.

If your NVMe M.2 SSD is using RAID for the SATA controller mode, (as many such devices do for best performance), then you may need to inject the Intel RST drivers into the WinPE media.

==========================================================================================

I am trying to use ATI from the bootable Media.. i was wanting to create an image in case something happened to  Windows 10 and i needed to do a restore.. so yes doing it inside the OS wouldnt really help me.. i ended up using a program called Macrium Reflect.. and it seemed to do the job. i was able to create rescue media and also create an image of the drive.. i rebooted and had to go into the BIOS and add the option of the USB drive and it finally got me there and i could see the image and the M2 SSD.. so i think i am ok. i just was wondering why i was unable to do this with ATI and i guess its just cause the version is too old.. thanks all 

Beginner

Bobbo_3C0X1 wrote:

Is this a Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 system... to clarify? Need to know to determine if you need a rescue media built with WinRE or Windows ADK.  If Windows 10, you're in good shape.

Acer's have some of the worst bios - very limited to user changes.  And unfortunately, the default Linux rescue media does not support PCIE NVME drives in RAID mode (especially in 2015 rescue media).  A simple "work-a-round" is to go into the bios and switch to AHCI temporarily so it's detected, restore it and then switch back to RAID or RAID-on when possible.  But as you found, this isn't possible on the Acer.

When I had my previous Acer 2-in-1 from Costco, I did not have a PCIE NVME drive in it.  But, just to get it to boot to any rescue media required that I go into the bios advanced security and disable secure boot.  To do that, I first had to delete all keys (they can be recreated by turning it back on if you need/want later) save and exit.  Then reboot and go back in and disable secure boot and save and exit.  Then, I believe there was an option to enable CSM (legacy) which allowed me to boot external OS like rescue media.

Assuming you're able to get to a point where it detects a bootable USB rescue media (try it without changing the bios first just to see what it will let you do or not - pretty sure secure boot has to be off though on these), then you should be able to try more.  Unfortunately, I don't believe 2015 will do the trick natively as you're going to need WinPE or WinRE to do this instead for the added driver support of IRST (RAID for PCIE NVME) and it did not have a good method for creating this rescue media until late 2018.  We built a custom MVP rescue media builder, but it only works with 2016 and newer.

Most likely, you will need to upgrade to 2019 (at least the trial version which will allow you to create new rescue media in WinPE or WinRE) If you're system is working and can boot to the OS.

Once 2019 trial (or full version is installed) use the rescue media builder advanced option and ensure WinRE is selected if you have a Windows 10 OS.  Otherwise, you'll need to download Windows 10 ADK - both of these install the top one first then the second one - it's about 6GB in total

Once installed you can then use the advanced rescue media builder to build a Windows 10 PE rescue media with ADK.  

The key behind this is it will have all the drivers you need for PCIE NVME drives in RAID or AHCI mode out of the box with the current Windows 10 ADK versions. And since you can't do the AHCI bios work-a-round, this is probably your only option.

I am using Windows 10 and yes i am finding out  how unusable the BIOS is on this ACER.. there really is so little you are allowed to change.. what i ended up doing was using a program called Macrium Reflect and it seemed to work well .. i was able to create an image and create a rescue USB and then once i rebooted i had to go into the BIOS as it was booting up and adding in the USB as a boot option and that seemed to work.. i just wondered why i was unable to use ATI and it seems i need a newer version.. so i may get that for future stuff.. but i really appreciate the help :)

Legend

Thanks for the update, the key difference in using Macrium is that it creates the alternative Windows PE / RE type rescue media by default, something that Acronis started doing also from the 2018 version onwards, but wasn't doing with your older 2015 version.

Beginner

Steve Smith wrote:

Thanks for the update, the key difference in using Macrium is that it creates the alternative Windows PE / RE type rescue media by default, something that Acronis started doing also from the 2018 version onwards, but wasn't doing with your older 2015 version.

just curious .. as i know once i install the image on the NEW 500G M2 SSD.. the main partition with windows will still be showing as 240G and then the recovery partition comes right after that.. i want to expand the main windows partition and move the recovery to the end. Macrium wont do that.. is there another program that i can use as my Acronis Disk director is  only DD 12 and i have the same issue with that.. i am trying to have to buy a new one simply because  its rare i do this stuff and secondly. i now live in the philippines so i would have to order and have it shipped here.. trying to avoid that.. 

Legend

Download a copy of the free MiniTool Partition Wizard and use that to move your recovery partition to the end of the unallocated drive space, then expand your OS partition as needed.

Beginner

Steve Smith wrote:

Download a copy of the free MiniTool Partition Wizard and use that to move your recovery partition to the end of the unallocated drive space, then

expand your OS partition as needed.

I Will do that.. thanks so much for the help!!!