Skip to main content

What will happen to files stored in Acronis Cloud as part of the Ransomware Protection app?

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 3

With Acronis ending support of the Ransomware Protection app can you please clarify what will happen to the free 5GB Acronis Cloud storage assigned to each Ransomware account? The cloud storage shows an expiry date, but is also shown in the Account page as having a Perpetual Licence. 

For all those that are still using the app, and its linked cloud storage, could you please clarify what will happen at the stated expiry date? Will access to uploaded files be blocked or will the 5GB cloud storage allowance continue?

Thank you.

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Moderator
Comments: 5184

Hello Melody,

welcome to Acronis forums! You can continue using your existing 5GB Cloud subscription. Within Acronis Ransomware Protection sunset, we stopped registering new customers and providing 5 GB for new customers as well as stopped supporting the application itself.

Note: to prolong the duration of the Cloud subscription, you need to sign in to Acronis Ransomware Protection app. 

Beginner

Thank you for the reply. Could you please clarify this line "Note: to prolong the duration of the Cloud subscription, you need to sign in to Acronis Ransomware Protection app."

I am always signed in to the Ransomware Protection app. When my Cloud subscription expires (and the app stops uploading new files) what would I need to do to prolong the Cloud subscription beyond the stated expiry date, if I’m already signed in?

I know from past experience, that signing out of the app and back in, or reinstalling the app and signing in, did not reactivate the 5GB Cloud subscription. Nothing I tried worked, my only option was to delete my old account and open a new account.

I recognise the signing in suggestion, from the Acronis Support website, but this was only in relation to Cloud subscriptions that had not been used for some time. It made no mention of what to do when the 5GB subscription hit its expiry date. I'd be grateful if you could let me know what I would need to do. 

Thank you again for your assistance and I look forward to your reply.

Forum Moderator

Hello Melody,

the re-activation should work as described in https://kb.acronis.com/reactivate-account

Beginner

Thank you for your reply. However, it is the perpetual cloud storage license that is the issue and for this, the method you propose does not work.  I know this because that’s what was suggested to me last time and the only way I could renew the Cloud subscription/license was to delete my account and create a new one.  Signing out and then back in (as I’m already signed in) does nothing. Reinstalling the app and signing in also does not renew the license / subscription.

As you will see from the introduction text, on the page you linked to, it relates solely to reactivating unused 5GB Cloud subscriptions. It makes no mention of what to do when the subscription / license expiry date is reached.

“If you don't use Acronis Ransomware Protection for 6 months, your free 5 GB Acronis Cloud subscription is deactivated and data stored in Acronis Cloud is deleted.

This page does not apply to anyone who actually uses their Cloud storage every day. I can’t sign in to renew my license if I’m already signed in. The issue is when the 5GB Cloud License reaches the stated expiry date (May 13th 2020 on my account) it will no longer allow me to back up my files via the Ransomware app and I will be unable to renew the license.

Could you please let me know how my 5GB Cloud perpetual license can be renewed?

Thank you once again and I look forward to your reply.

I have attached two screen shots from my account pages. The first showing the two products and the Cloud License expiry date and the second showing my Cloud storage with a perpetual license.  

Attachment Size
530121-179565.jpg 63.51 KB
530121-179566.jpg 62.52 KB
Forum Moderator

Hello Melody

thank you for providing the additional details - I'm clarifying the matter internally and get back to you once I have response of my colleagues from the RnD

Beginner

Thank you, I will await your findings.