Skip to main content

Acronis True Image on Mac OS Big Sur

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 1

I received the following message when I opened Acronis True Image on my iMac:  “existing software on your system loaded a legacy system extension by Acronis which will be incompatible with a future version of macOS

Is this issue being addressed or have I missed an update?

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 22415

David, welcome to these public User Forums.

What version & build of ATI do you have installed on your iMac - this should be seen on either the Account page or else in the Help information?

Was the current install of ATI an upgrade from an older version or a new clean install?

Beginner

ATI 2020

Version 24.6.25760

Legend

Thanks David, you have the latest version / build for 2020 so there shouldn't be any 'legacy system extension' being loaded unless it has been left over from a previous older version of ATI?

Is there any other information about what that legacy system extension might be?

Beginner

Hi Steve,

what David is referring to is, that Apple will drop Legacy Kernel Extensions in Big Sur. That's a fact. When you start True Image 2020 in MacOS 10.25.x Catalina, you receive the warning message pictured below.

So, the concern is: Will True Image 2020 be Big Sur compatible? I didn't see any MacOS 11 or Big Sur compatibility notes in the current 2021 beta release notes as well.

Legend

Marc, thanks for the further information - I can only suggest that this be raised directly with Acronis for this question to get a definitive answer, especially with regards to ATI 2021.  I have only seen the user guide for the Windows 2021 beta version so don't know if there is anything written in the Mac manual that may touch on this in the System Requirements section?

Regular Poster
Comments: 230

Steve, I can't post here anymore? New Post went to OFF-TOPIC? Can you move it from there to here?

Sorry for stealing the thread.

Legend

Irv, only Ekaterina (forum moderator) can move posts between forums...!

Beginner

To David,

About a month ago I discovered that Acronis True Image 2020 is not compatible with macOS 11 (Big Sur). I am running a beta copy. I had a lengthy correspondence with Technical Support, and the impression I got was that Acronis appeared to be blind sided by the new release coming up. This is even more surprising since Apple releases seed copies to developers to get their software updated in a timely fashion. Indeed, when you check around about some other backup apps, they are already macOS 11 compatible. – Acronis started out and made its excellent reputation in the Windows market. It's only last year, I believe, that they entered the mac market. I am afraid that they will lose customers, if they are either incapable or unwilling to keep their software updated. This is not the first time I have had trouble with companies that started out in the Windows market. Somehow they seem to think that mac is only an 'after thought,' and they get around to it when they feel like it, yet they charge the same price as Windows users. You can sense my frustration. I have been sitting here for a month without being able to backup. Daily I check whether an update is available.

Forum Moderator
Comments: 5647

Hello Everyone,

macOS 11 Big Sur support is planned for Update 1 of Acronis True Image 2021 https://kb.acronis.com/content/67087
This week we published a new build 30960 fixing the critical compatibility issues with the Beta versions of macOS Big Sur.