Skip to main content

Recovery failure - "no block devices found" "error occurred while opening the file"

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 1

I was trying to revert my boot drive to a previous state. The backup is valid, Windows 10 works fine and so does the boot ssd. I started the process from ATI 2019. After selecting the backup, the partition to restore and the destination, ATI asked for a reboot. During the bootup a "no block devices found" message was shown briefly, then the progress bar appeared as normal with "Preparing..." (or sg like that) at the top left. Then it ended with an "Operation has completed with errors" msg before even starting the restore. The error details window showed three "error occurred while opening the file" messages. What's wrong? Win10, ATI, 2019, M.2 PCIe SSD

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 22824

Endre, welcome to these public User Forums.

The core issue here is that you are starting an OS partition restore from within Windows which in turn requires a restart which then uses a small Linux kernel OS but which has no support for your NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD drive.

Please create the Acronis Rescue Media for ATI 2019 using the Simple method to create the Windows PE version of the media using files from your Windows 10 Recovery Environment, this will then have the necessary device driver support for your SSD.

See the following reference documents.

KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media

KB 61632: Acronis True Image 2019: how to create bootable media - for details of the 3 different types of rescue media.  Default Simple mode uses Windows Recovery Environment, then Advanced mode offers the older Linux media or Windows PE (using the Windows ADK).

KB 61621: Acronis True Image 2019: How to restore your computer with WinPE-based or WinRE-based media

Beginner
Comments: 1

Thanks, this explains the error perfectly.

(You probably don't even remember this thread at all, but for some weird reason I never got a notification of your reply and only found it now by accident while checking my account settings).