Skip to main content

Disk cloning failed. See log for details.

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 0

Hi Guys!

I just recently bought a Crucial BX500 2.5-Inch 2TB SSD. I was in the process of cloning (Using the Acronis True Image Software) my old Hard Drive which has 1.8 TB worth of memory stored on it. Once the cloning was almost complete an error message that read "Disk cloning failed. See log for details." I don't know what this means since there is no log to be found nor should there be a problem with insufficient storage (2000GB-1800GB=200GB left)

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated. I have read the other forums but still can't figure it out.

Thank you so much :) 

Regg

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 22833

Regg, welcome to these public User Forums.

See KB 2201: Support for OEM Versions of Acronis Products which applies to all OEM versions of ATI supplied with hardware purchases.

If your old drive already has 1.8TB of data then cloning this to a 2TB SSD will not give you any better performance for several reasons:

First, it is strongly recommended to have up to 20% free space on SSD drives for 'over provisioning'.

Second, a 2TB SSD does not deliver 2000GB of storage space!  This has always been the case with all disk drives.  The size quoted in the sales pitch are not the true size available because sales people round sizes to 1000's when in fact drives use 1024.

I have 2 internal drives in my laptop, one is a 500GB Samsung 970 SSD, the second a Seagate 2TB HDD as shown in the image below from Disk Management.

The 500GB SSD only gives 465.64GB available drive space.
The 2TB HDD only gives 1862.89GB available drive space.

The same will be true for your 2TB SSD drive.