Skip to main content

One computer of two computers does not share files after installing Acronis Home 2010 on both of them on the home network.

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 4

Your going to love this one, for my local computer shop sure did, for they are the one’s that recommended me to buy and install True Image on my home network computers.  The problem is, one computer is XP Pro Edition while the other is XP Media Center Edition and after installing True Image 2010 and both of them, neither computer would share files on my home network, only the shared printer was working on the network!  But after reading about the IRPStackSize fix in your http://kb.acronis.com/content/1554 posting, I was able to get my XP Pro Edition computer to share its files, but not the XP Media Center Edition, NO IRPStackSize Value WORKED from 16 to 26, to 36, to 46, nor 50 would get it to share its files on the network!!!  So took the XP Media Center Edition  computer into the computer shop that recommend this program in the first place and after two day’s of trying everything that they knew, they call me and said that the ONLY WAY that they could get it to share files once again was to UNSTALL TRUE IMAGE 2010!  Their recommendation was that they could do a complete backup to secondary hard drive, wrap out the “C” drive and install XP Pro for me, and then I would have to go through ALL THE UP-DATES and re-installing of all the programs and all their UP-DATES just to have True Image 2010 and I SAID NO WAY!!!  So the way is stands today, my XP Pro as True Image 2010 and is working fine and is sharing its files, while my XP Media Center Edition as True Image 2010 UN-INSTALLED and is back to Paragon Backup, which is no where near as nice as True Image, but at least it let’s the computer network its files!  Any and all comments/suggestions of what to try beside that IRPStackSize value would be greatly appreciated while running under XP Media Center Edition Vision 2002 Service Pack 3!  Both computers are hard wired to the router. 

Brent in California

0 Users found this helpful
Frequent Poster
Comments: 843

Hello Brent,

Let me assist you with this situation.

Generally, all issues with network after installation of Acronis True Image should be resolved by changing IRP stack size according to the article you mentioned.

Could you please let us investigate the issue and do the following?

1. AcronisInfo tool output:

- Download the file;
- Run the downloaded file
The gathered information will be put in adv_report.zip in the same folder, where the AcronisInfo was saved.
Running AcronisInfo may take up to 5 minutes.

2. Could you please let me know the build number of the product, which you can find in the Help -> About dialog (it should be a 3 or 4 digit number)?

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the issue appears and the link to this thread. Then please provide me with the case number you receive from our system, so I can pick it up and speed up the process. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Additionally to this, you are welcome to ask me any other questions concerning Acronis, and I will assist you further.

Regards,

Beginner

Thanks Alexander for your reply posting, and I re-installed True Image 2010 on my XP Media Center Edition computer today and before installing it, I checked to see if there were any newer editions and there was, so I install the latest version and the Build number is 7,046.  After shutting down and re-starting that computer, it still will not share it's files on my home network!  I then downloaded your "AcronisInfo.exe" file and ran it and have e-mailed the "ArconisInfo.zip" file to Pawan Tiwari with your support team under case # ref:00D3Zcb.50058aqUu:ref

It is with the greatest of hopes that between You and Pawan that this issue of file sharing on my home network can be resolved!  Once again, after un-installed True Image 2010, then my XP Media Center Edition computer once again shares it's files!

Brent in California, USA
Beginner

Problem Solved....(((( BIG SMILE ))))

For those of you that may be following this thread, I'm happy to report that my home network file sharing problem as been solved after my case was escalated to the Tier2 engineer teem and this is what they advised me of...

The problem does have to deal with the IRPStackSize value which can be basically affected by multiple applications, mostly antiviral tools and/or backup solutions. For example if you uninstall Avast Antivirus then this problem will also be gone even with Acronis True Image Home 2010 installed. However of course I will not be suggesting you this step before we try adjusting the IRPStackSize value in a proper way. This parameter is quite sensitive to the values you provide for it and for example setting it to 50 in the beginning may not work while setting it to 23 may work properly. In my practice I've seen such cases resolved by setting the value for IRPStackSize to 18, but this has to be done in the below exact sequence:

1) Remove the IRPStackSize value from the Windows registry
2) Reboot the machine
3) Create the IRPStackSize value anew and set it to 18
4) Reboot the machine
5) Install Acronis True Image Home 2010 to the system and check if the problem still persists

The IRPStackSize adjustments is the only option we have to get this fixed since the problem is directly related to Windows XP family specifics (f.e. On Vista/Windows 7 you won't see such problem). Please let me know if the above procedure helps you to resolve the issue for your Windows XP Media Center edition or if the problem still persists after that?

Besides that please also let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. We're ready to answer any questions related to Acronis software you might have.
We're looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.
--
Best regards,

Vasily Semyonov
Expert Support Professional

And while I had tried every IRPStackSize value from 16 to 50 in steps of 3 before, I could never get my XP Media Center Edition to share it's files while my XP Professional did at a setting of 26! So when I got the information above, I said to myself this isn't going to work, but I did has they advised step by step exactly as they said to do.

I first removed the IRPStackSize Value from the registry and did a shut down and restart. I then re-enter the IRPStackSize and set the value to 18 and then did another shut down and restart. Both my XP Professional computer and My XP Media Center Edition computer where still file sharing on my home network. I then re-install the latest version of True Image 2010, build #7,046 and then did another shut down and re-start and to my BIG SURPRISE, BOTH COMPUTER'S ARE STILL FILE SHARE ON MY HOME NETWORK NOW! Thank You, Thank You so much in solving this problem for me! I'm guessing by removing the IRPStackSize value and then re-entering it, and then re-install True Image 2010 this is what solved the problem.

A Very, Very Happy Acronis User once again,
Brent in California, USA

Beginner
Comments: 1

Just a few words for all this so those less minded will find the correct way to do this... Please refer to this Microsoft Solution to IRPStackSize setup for XP found here at this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285089

The whole thing works even if you have already installed. Just add the dword value as 18 and reboot.

Thanks for the insight guys I've really had a go round with this thing. I use a lot of shared drives.

Beginner
Comments: 2

I don't know how to ask for support, so I am going to post here. I am not able to share files after installing True Image Home. I have tried the IRPStackSize fix going all the way to 50 (Hex). Do you respond to these requests for help?

Beginner

Hi Sanford, the problem for me was the IRPStackSize value and this is how I solved it. First I un-installed True Image Home and then I re-moved the IRPStackSize entry all together from my register and then did a shut down and restart. I then added back the IRPStackSize entry in my register and set the value to (18) and then did a shut down and restart. And then re-installed True Image Home and my home network was sharing files once again with True Image Home now installed. It appears to me that by removing the IRPStackSize entry from the registry and then adding it back in as a new entry is what does the trick!!! Hoping this help you, Brent in California

Forum Star
Comments: 1132

Sanford Morganstein wrote:

I have tried the IRPStackSize fix going all the way to 50 (Hex).

You want to set the value as decimal not hex.

Beginner

The trick to solving this problem is not changing the IRPStackSize Value from 15 to 50, for XP Operating System does not recognize the value change till the IRPStackSize entry is completely removed from the registry and then re-entered!!! For example, if the original IRPStackSize value was set at 15, XP retains that value even when the value is changed to 18 or any other value all the way up to 50. It isn't till the IRPStackSize Entry is completely removed from the registry and the computer is shut down and re-started and you re-entered as a "NEW" IRPStackSize entry does the XP operating system recognizes the new value that it is set at, at least this is what I have been told by the guys at my computer shop that know far, far more than I do. This problem as nothing to do with True Image Home Edition, but is a glitch within XP! And while I did try every value from 15 to 50 in steps of 3, and I never could get my home network to share files with True Image Installed, it wasn't till I complete removed the IRPStackSize entry completely and then re-entered it with a decimal value of (18), and while that did NOT work before, it sure worked after the new entry rather than the edited entry!!! Hoping this clears things you for You! Brent in California

Beginner
Comments: 3

How can I resolve the same problem if I have computer labs because each computer has deferent value in IRPStackSize and it takes much of time .
Is there any way to make the image as a boot dvd

Forum Hero
Comments: 9251

You can create an image on a DVD and make it bootable.

Beginner

How can I do that and ?
How can I resolve the problem I have with the sharing folders in many computers in the lab ?

Beginner

Please I need serious help in this matter

Beginner
Comments: 2

Acronis is aware of this problem. I would start with their technical support. Sometimes, the technical support personnel don't know about the problem or don't remember the problem or ...well, who knows.

I finally went to their web page and contacted their management. When I did that, I contacted the Chief Customer Satisfaction Officer (or a similar title). He eventually had a senior technician help me.

Good luck...post back to let us know how it is going.

Forum Hero
Comments: 9251

sh ja,

This will not solve your problem, but it can be a workaround.
You could do your backups from the bootable Acronis installation CD, or from a bootable media you create. You would use this bootable media to manually boot the computer onto, then back it up to where you want (on an attached USB disk or a nework share, for example).
Of course, you lose the ability to schedule backups within Windows on each computer, and that might be a big issue. The good thing is that you can uninstall ATI from the computers and restore the sharing, if you don't want to or cannot fix the IRPStackSize setting on each one of them.

Beginner
Comments: 1

i am using acronis true image in computer but that computer not in network and do not share any thing please give me any solution on that as early as possible. that computer windows is XP

Forum Star
Comments: 3750

onkar kulkarni wrote:

i am using acronis true image in computer but that computer not in network and do not share any thing please give me any solution on that as early as possible. that computer windows is XP

Solution for what? It would be helpful if you would start a new thread, describe your system and explain your issue.