Skip to main content

Using TrueImage 2021 to "clone" a PC

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 9

Hi, 

On one Windows 10 PC (PC1), I used TrueImage 2021 to create a drive image backup (tibx file) of its hard drive.  PC1 has a single hard drive that has two partitions.  I chose to include both partitions, plus the MBR and Track 0 in my backup.

I now have a second PC (PC2) with an identical hardware configuration.  I'd like to see if I can restore my drive image of PC1 onto PC2, with the hope that this will result in PC2 being a "clone" of PC1.  I realize that this might result in some software license issues I have to correct, but I'd like to see if I can get the general procedure to work.

My confusion at the moment is when the recovery wizard asks me to select the partitions on PC2 where I'd like to restore each of the partitions from my PC1 backup.  I realize this is because PC2 came with a few partitions already created during the manufacturer's factory configuration procedure.  Being my desired result is for PC2 to be a "clone" of PC1, I am wondering if it might simplify my task if I were to delete all the existing partitions from PC2 before attempting the recovery procedure?

If this is something that might make my task easier, can anyone tell me if there is a tool available when using the TrueImage rescue media that would allow me to delete partitions from PC2?  Or would I have to get this tool from another source?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 27997

Paul, some comments on your post.

First, make a full Disks & Partitions backup image of both of your PC's before embarking on any other actions, especially a restore of the PC1 backup to PC2.

Second, when doing the restore / recovery, you should be doing this after booting PC2 from the Acronis Rescue Media and doing the media boot in UEFI boot mode, plus you should be doing the restore at the top Disk level so as to avoid having to specify the locations of each & every partition.  Selecting the top Disk tick box on the Recovery panel will automatically select all the included partitions but will only ask you to confirm the target drive to restore to. 

When doing a disk level restore, there is no need to delete existing partitions as Acronis will wipe the target drive as the first action of the restore, and then recreate the partition structures based on the backup image being restored.

Note: when shutting down PC2 in preparation for booting into the Acronis Rescue Media, you need to ensure the PC is fully shutdown and is not in a hybrid sleep / hibernation state due to Windows Fast Start being enabled.  You can do this by pressing / holding down a Shift key when clicking on Shutdown.

You will definitely need to re-activate Windows on PC2 as the hardware used to activate it on PC1 will have changed (regardless of both PC's having identical hardware!).

See KB 65508: Acronis True Image 2021: how to create bootable media and KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media

KB 65539: Acronis True Image 2021: How to restore your computer with WinPE-based or WinRE-based media