Skip to main content

What does Entire PC mean ?

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 23

Hi,

I have a Surface Pro 3 and as it fell and is now damaged.

I want to transfer the whole thing to a 2 TB ext drive as they will need to delete the whole Surface when they fix it.

I then want to replace it all as it is now.

The Hard Drive set up is..

Local drive C:  16.4GB free of 236 GB

SDXC:  946MB of 183 GB

I took an Entire PC transfer to the ext and it shows this..

Entire PC full_b1_s1_v1.tib   183.725.264 KB

Does it look like the entire PC has been saved ?

Maybe not the SDXC card which I can take out.

Would appreciate some guidance please.

Thanks

oz

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 4946

Entire PC backup (recommended)
Acronis True Image backs up all your internal hard drives in disk mode. The backup contains the operating system, installed programs, system settings, and all your personal data including your photos, music, and documents. Refer to Backing up all data on your PC (p. 16) for details.

2.3 Backing up all data on your PC
What is an Entire PC backup?
An Entire PC backup is the easiest way to back up the full contents of your computer. We recommend that you choose this option when you are not sure which data that you need to protect. If you want to back up your system partition only, refer to Backing up disks and partitions (p. 36) for details.
When you select Entire PC as a backup type, Acronis True Image backs up all your internal hard drives in disk mode. The backup contains the operating system, installed programs, system settings, and all your personal data including your photos, music, and documents.
The recovery from an Entire PC backup is also simplified. You only need to choose the date to which you want to revert your data. Acronis True Image recovers all data from the backup to the original location. Note that you cannot select specific disks or partitions to recover and you cannot change the default destination. If you need to avoid these limitations, we recommend that you back up your data with an ordinary disk-level backup method. Refer to Backing up disks and partitions (p. 36) for details.
You can also recover specific files and folders from an Entire PC backup. Refer to Backing up files and folders (p. 37) for details.

The above information is taken from the ATI 2016 User Guide. You are correct that the SDXC card is not an internal drive as it is removalble. 

Forum Member
Comments: 23

Many thanks. 

Looks like I'm on the right track to be able to get the fixed Surface back to normal again with a Restore.

Legend
Comments: 28256

The Hard Drive set up is..

Local drive C:  16.4GB free of 236 GB

SDXC:  946MB of 183 GB

I took an Entire PC transfer to the ext and it shows this..

Entire PC full_b1_s1_v1.tib   183.725.264 KB

Does it look like the entire PC has been saved ?

David, just looking at the above figures, did you select to use Sector-by-Sector backup method when creating the backup image?  The size of your backup .tib file is 183 GB which is the same size as your SDXC card, so it looks possible that only that card has been backed up, not your 236 GB C: drive!

How have you been doing this backup?  Is the Surface Pro 3 still able to boot into Windows and did you do the backup from there using ATI 2016?  Or have you created the bootable Acronis Rescue Media and taken the backup after booting from that media?

What type of disk drive is the 236 GB drive?  Is it one of the small PCIe NVMe type card drives (looks like a memory module)?  If so, then it is possible that your ATI 2016 rescue media is not seeing that drive because doesn't have device drivers for it?

Take the SDXC card out of the equation by removing / ejecting it from the PC then try your backup again and see if it finds the main OS disk drive or not?

Forum Hero
Comments: 4946

My apologies, I seem to have missed some important things in you post. Unfortunately my mental processes have been significantly diminished by a virus that hit me on Monday morning (Melbourne, Australia time). Fortunately it is NOT Covid-19, which is good news. The good news is that I am recovering now.

Ian