Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 1

I have 3 disks in my system -

disk 0 gpt 8tb

disk 1 gpt 1tb

disk 2 mbr 1tb system disk

I've backed up disk 2

I want to delete all partitions on disk 2 - convert to gpt - then restore my backup - so i can move to windows 11

Everything I've tried dos - disk director 12 - disk management will not allow me to delete the partitions on disk 2

How do i do this?  Once done can i restore my backup and disk 2 will remain gpt?

Attachment Size
image_2021-12-20_110635.png 141.23 KB
0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 28191

Dave, how exactly are your doing things here?

What backup application are you using?

Making some assumptions that you might be using ATI 2016 as you have opened this topic in the forum for that version, then you need to have created a Disks & Partitions backup image of your OS disk 2 with this ideally stored on an external storage drive.

You also need to have created and tested the Acronis rescue media in both Legacy and UEFI boot modes to ensure that you can 'see' the target disk 2 drive without any issues of needing any additional device drivers.

Assuming both are Ok, then you should boot the PC in UEFI boot mode with your backup storage drive connected, then use the Tools > Add new disk option to prepare Disk 2 as GPT but leaving it as unallocated space.  There is no need to try to create any new partitions etc as these will be wiped during the restore process.

Next, Recover the backup image from the storage drive to Disk 2 using the top Disk option for the source data - this will avoid having to manually configure the recovery settings for each individual partition involved.  Acronis will migrate the backup image from Legacy to UEFI during the restore process.

When the restore is complete, check the Logs while still in the Rescue environment and if needed right-click on the log and use the Save as option to capture a copy of the log.

If all is successful, then remove the storage drive and rescue media then reboot the PC by closing the main ATI application.

One word of caution:  check all your internal drives to ensure that no Windows hidden / system partitions are found on any drive other than the main OS drive.  Normally, Windows expects to find the OS on Disk 0 rather than Disk 2.
It is also recommended to disconnect any unrelated drives when doing a recovery to ensure only the correct target drive is present and gets selected, thus avoiding any possible loss of data from those other drives!

See KB 56610: Acronis True Image 2016: Creating Bootable Media - for details of the options for creating WinPE media.

KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media

KB 57982: Acronis True Image 2016: Restoring to a Drive with a Single Partition

One further comment, you may also need to edit your BIOS boot settings after the restore to ensure that it has 'Windows Boot Manager' from Disk 2 as the boot option.