Skip to main content

How to get email notifications to GMAIL now that Goggle is shutting down less secure app access May 30, 2022

Thread solved
Forum Member
Comments: 48

Google has announced as of May 30th they will not allow 'less secure access' for 3rd party access.  That means I will not be able to get backup completion notifications in Gmail, which I rely on to monitor my backups.  Google says if your 3rd party app has the ability to sign in to google instead of directly to Gmail, the third party app can still work.  As I don't see this feature in Acronis, what are my alternatives?  This is a major problem for me. 

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 28595

Pamela, you should be able to use another email service for the notifications instead of using Gmail.

I switched from using Gmail to using mail.co.uk a year or so back and all has been working fine once configured.

This uses the following server options: (along with your chosen registered account credentials).

SMTP Server: smtp.mail.co.uk  Port: 465  SSL/TLS: On
                              Port: 587  STARTTLS/TLS: On

I use the Port 587 TLS option with Acronis.

Forum Hero
Comments: 5031

You could try use global settings in you Acronis Account to activate email notifications. However, it is a hit and miss exercise. In my case I only get notifications for about half my PCs. There is unfortunately the possibility that one day they will stop arriving, so Steve's solution would be safer.

Ian

Beginner
Comments: 1

You can still use gmail for smtp.

Go to your account settings, security tab.

You have to enable 2-factor-authentication, so you will need a mobile phone.

Once done, you can add "app-specific" passwords (password supplied by google don't lose it!!).

Go to your acronis (or other app) sestup and put THAT in as the password for the gmail account.

Beginner
Comments: 2

Thank you Dennis Smith, your solution worked for me!  

Beginner
Comments: 1

Thanks Dennis, this worked for me as well!

Beginner
Comments: 2

Thanks, and for me as well, but only once I realised you need the full email address for the smtp authentication bit and not just the part before the @ as with gmail