Direkt zum Inhalt

Backup Naming

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Kommentare: 1

Hi to All,

I'm having loads of problems switching from TIH 2016 to TIH 2017. I have used TIH since 2010 with generally no problems but this version is so confusing. How do I save a file with no date or tib or full or any other suffix? I used to be able to save a file eg. C:/Dropbox/Myfile.xxx to C:/Dropbox/Myfile.xxx, where the source file would be overwritten. The file is used by another program that cannot load the changed filename. I cannot find any way to do this with this version. It insists on putting in Full, .tib, etc. I have tried editing the file in the 'scripts' folder with little success. I have other problems being handled by support but if I cannot get this version to work reliably, I will have to go back to TIH 2016. TIA.

Mark.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Kommentare: 28569

Mark, welcome to these user forums.

Recent versions of ATIH from around 2014 have all used the naming format that includes the type of backup, sequence and volume information, this is documented in the ATIH 2017 User Guide: Backup file naming which states:

Backup file naming

A backup file name has the following attributes:

• Backup name
  • Backup method (full, inc, diff: full, incremental, differential)
  • Number of backup chain (in the form of b#)
  • Number of backup version (in the form of s#)
  • Number of volume (in the form of v#)

For example this attribute changes when you split a backup into several files. Refer to Backup splitting for details.

If you need to have a copy of the backup file without these suffices then you would need to either manually copy the file and rename it, or use the option for Pre/Post Commands to do this.

Acronis uses this attribute data as part of its handling of backup version chains and stores it also in the Database used for the same, so the original file name should not be changed else you will encounter other issues in using the application. 

Beginner
Kommentare: 2

Hi Steve

I have the same problem as Mark being an old time Acronis user. Our backup program relies on creating a full backup for each day of the week and then overwriting it with the next week's backup. So I need to be able to create my own name. 

Steve I don't really understand why you say "the original file name should not be changed else you will encounter other issues in using the application". What issues can I have if I'm using full backups?

Can you point me to example of using Pre/Post Commands to rename the Acronis file to the current day of the week for example Monday.tib.

Thanks

Elliot

Forum Hero
Kommentare: 8346

Any changes you make outside of Acronis are not updated in the database. If Acronis creates a backup with name A, you script something like a .bat file to change it to name B, Acronis still has name A in the database. Will name B work for a full? Yes, but not in Acronis in Windows because to keep following the rules of the backup plan created it uses its own database to catalog the names and locations of where files should be. If you rename those files or move them, as far as the program knows, those file will no longer exist and you won't be able to do thing with them from Windows like mount or double click to view content.

renaming files is not supported. It is doable using bat scripts or other programs and you should google them to get ideas.

leave the original files alone. Robocopy a second copy elsewhere and use a script to rename those instead of messing with the original names. Two backup copies to different locations is good practice anyway.

Beginner
Kommentare: 2

Thanks for the info

Legend

Elliot, ditto in part to Rob's reply above - leave the original Acronis backup files alone but perhaps change your backup scheme to be 'Single version' so that you only create/keep the one full backup file then use a post command to copy this to your main backup storage location and rename the copied file to meet your naming requirements.

See the attached example Post Command batch file (just remove the _.txt part of the file name to use this).  I have tested this with a small files & folders backup on my own computer and it works for me.  You will need to edit the batch file to set your own backup drive/folder locations and file name etc.

I have also tested that Acronis will open & explore the renamed .TIB files so there shouldn't be an issue in using these if/when needed.

Anhang Größe
403308-136162.txt 1.17 KB
Beginner
Kommentare: 1

Hi to All,

All of the things I am trying to do were easy and worked with TIH 2010-2016. To save a daily incremental backup, 1 full then 5 increments. This does not work with a Custom Scheme, I had to use the built in Incremental Scheme. I have got it to do a full then Incremental Backup but I am still having trouble with auto cleaning. I have it set to delete anything over the second full backup. eg. to save Full.somedate plus Inc.somedate 1 to 5 x 2. I haven't found the instructions to do an automatic cleanup reliably. This evening I was using 1.7TB of  a 3TB disk with a backup of ~200GB daily as above , 1 full then 5 inc, to clean up after 2 full backup schemes.

I am still having trouble saving a single full backup daily retaining its own suffix. eg. Myfile.txt rather than Myfile_full_b**_s*_v*.tib. The program that uses this file obviously does not recognise this file. Is it me that doesn't get on with 2017 and other users have no problems? Maybe I am going senile!

Mark.

Legend

Mark, you are asking about two different things in your post above.

Automatic cleanup rules are only executed when the conditions configured have been satisfied.  For example: if you set to 'Store no more than 2 backup version chains" then the oldest backup chain will only be deleted once the 3rd full backup (for the 3rd backup version chain) has been created successfully, and you need to have sufficient space on your backup drive to store 3 x Full backups, plus 2 x 5 Incremental backups.

A backup version chain = 1 x Full backup plus all Incremental or Differential backups with the same backup sequence number, i.e. _full_B1_s1_v1 + _inc_B1_s2_v1 etc.  where B1 is the sequence identifier for the version chain.

For your second question - more information is needed - all Acronis backup files take their names from the name of the backup task that created them, but as explained in post #1 above they also need to conform to the Backup naming conventions set by Acronis.

If you need to rename the backup file to allow your program will recognise it, then as advised to Elliot above, make a copy of the backup to another location, then rename it there leaving the original file untouched.

Beginner
Kommentare: 4

Thanks for the explanation. My last backups have an extra "-2" added at the end, though. Do you know what that means?

ScreenShot1022.png

PS: Would be nice if Acronis used "incr" instead of "inc", so fields were aligned vertically.

Best,

Morten

Legend

Morten, the v1-2 is described in the ATI 2019 User Guide where it says:

If you are creating a new backup, and there is already a file with the same name, the program does not delete the old file, but adds to the new file the "-number" suffix, for example, my_documents_inc_b2_s2_v1-2.tib.

Beginner
Kommentare: 13

I just created an Acronis Survival Kit backup partition and made a backup.

1. I want to rename the backup job, but "rename" does not appear as an option in the pulldown menu for the backup. is there a way to do that?

2. Can I backup more than one partition to the same external Rescue Kit drive?

3. If I move my already backed up partition to a different drive, will a restore from the old backup restore it there?

Score a point for ATI: when it created the backup, it put the .tibx file in my existing partition, thus not burning a drive letter! HOORAY!!

Forum Moderator
Kommentare: 6973

Hello DocDJ,

> 1. I want to rename the backup job, but "rename" does not appear as an option in the pulldown menu for the backup. is there a way to do that?

That is one of the current limitations of the new archive format .tibx, here you'll find more information 

Acronis True Image 2020: Limitations of tibx backups
Acronis True Image 2020: new tibx backup format FAQ

> 2 You mean create several backup plans pointing to the same location with Acronis Survival Kit? Yes, that should be possible

> 3 When moving .tibx backups, please have a look at the following article describing one of the main changes of the new backup format - One of the main changes in this new backup format is that the .tibx format saves full and differential backup versions as separate files, while incremental backup versions are automatically merged into their base full backups. See Incremental backups do not create separate files when using new backup format for more information