Direkt zum Inhalt

The Active protection Icon is can't be removed from the system tray?

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Kommentare: 20

I chatted with support and they tell me that the icon cannot be removed.  I turned off the feature and disabled the Active Protection service to no avail. 

I can go to Taskbar Settings and choose to turn off the Icon, but that still doesn't remove it.  It adds another icon that you can select to see the icons that you hid. 

I just want to remove the icon, is that too much to ask?  Has anyone been able to do it?

Thanks

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Kommentare: 22854

If you have disabled the Active Protection Service after first turning off Active Protection either via the system tray icon or within the ATI GUI, then that is all that you can do here.  The system tray icon is integrated in the ATI application and cannot be removed further as far as I understand.  It remains to allow users to re-enable this protection again if needed.

Beginner

Thanks for the confirmation.  But it's a horrible decision given that in 2017 you could kill the icon. Now it's taking up precious tray icon space doing absolutely nothing.  I realize I may be in the minority, but I *HATE* it when apps add icons w/o asking me first.  Grrrrr.

Regular Poster
Kommentare: 345

Hi @ Hansang Bae  ,

The Icon is going to be there. That's a given.

Why not simply hide the Icon? It isn't taking up space, that way.

You haven't posted your operating system, being used.

In reply to by thecreator

Beginner

I hope it's not a given.  If you think about it, it serves absolutely no purpose other than acting as a constant and annoying reminder that I'm not using Active protection.  In 2017, I could turn it off.  I'm using Win10 1709, x64. 

And using the Task Manager to turn it off for Active Protection is not a solution because if you hide an icon, another icon shows up that you can click to show the hidden icons. 

Yes, I understand it's not a big deal in the big scheme of things. But it's my computer.  Acronis should *ask* if it's OK to create a tray icon.  It's limited real estate after all. 

Legend
Kommentare: 22854

Sorry but you need to either use the Feedback tool or open a Support Case to get your concerns over the AAP icon to the Acronis development team, along with others doing the same.

Personally, I do not find any issue with the icon and I have AAP turned on for additional protection with no obvious downside on my computers, no interference with my other security software and no added performance impact that I am aware of.  

In reply to by Steve Smith

Beginner

Yes, I understand it's a personal thing and that I'm in the minority.  I just figured there must be a way to disable it.

And I opened a ticket and I'm trying to get the feedback to product management.  Although I admit, I'm probably tilting at windmills. 

hansang

Forum Moderator
Kommentare: 5708

Hansang,

I've added your feedback to the existing change request, however we cannot guarantee it will be accepted by the product management. 

Thank you! 

Beginner

Thank you for raising it up the flag.  In the mean time, I'll ask for a refund and go back to 2017.  In 2017, the icon disappeared if you disable the service. 

Again, for those wondering, tray icon real estate is precious.  And I don't want an icon that does *nothing* for me given that I chose to not use the Active Protection feature. 

Beginner
Kommentare: 1

I am completely with you on this, Hansang. It does not make any sense to have an icon there if the service is not activated, especially for those who do not wish to use the service at all. Some people want to use the product for its main purpose. Given that the ransomware protection is an additional service, users who don't use it should not be forced to have a tray icon sticking around.

Forum Hero
Kommentare: 8343

This behavior is changed in 2019 and can now be turned off. Alternatively, in earlier versions, disable the icon in Windows settings >>> task bar settings >>> Notification Area (select which icons appear in the taskbar) 

Then locate "Acronis True Image (year)" and disable.

Forum Member
Kommentare: 22

I just bought ATI 2020 and that 'Show icon in the notification area.' checkbox is not there.  There is a 'Settings' l button to a Settings page, but that also does not have that option.

If I disable the icon using the Windows Notification controls, it shows or hides both that notification icon and the normal ATI blue icon together.  So, you can't just hide that notification icon and still have the Acronis blue icon show the status of backups when you are running backup or other tasks.

Beginner
Kommentare: 1

What worked for me was to first kill the process TrueImageMonitor.exe.  This will make the taskbar icon go away.  Then simply run the process "C:\Program Files (x86)\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe"  again manually to restart.  The icon went away for me at that point and after all subsequent boots.  Hope it also works for you.  I'm running Acronis True Image 2015 for PC build 6613.

Regular Poster
Kommentare: 345

Hi James Cross,

You are killing a process that Acronis True Image 2015, needs.

This thread is discussing a different icon, altogether.