1. Differential disk image with TI
2. Windows Update
3. Restarting Windows
4. Defragmentation
5. Standby Windows
Next day:
6. Wake up Windows
7. Full disk image with TI.

For the rest of the week, I only do a daily incremental disk image with TI.

The error #1364 appears as follows:
- Only before I start the full disk image (7), not before the incremental or differential images.
- Only sometimes (roughly every 2nd - 3rd try)
- When I close TI and start it again, the error still appears again and again.
- When I restart Windows, TI mostly works again (only sometimes #1364 appears again, and I have to restart Windows again).

Acronis in 2009 was not able to solve the problem. They only let me check if I had the last build and recommended unrealistic things like trying deep changes in my Windows or install additional drivers which included the risk that my Windows would be damaged by this, so I denied to follow these "recommendations". Nowadays, they just reject inquiries and say "buy the latest version".

I already checked the registry key mentioned at another place - it was already set correctly.

May the error have any connection to the Defragmentation which I always do before, and if so, why is this problem solved mostly after restarting Windows?

Anhang Größe
screenshot_acronis.gif 118.09 KB
0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Kommentare: 3047

Acronis doesn't support a version after a new one is released; it's part of Acronis's incentive-to-update program. ;)

Curious, does the error come up whenever you try to do any full backup or just this one task? If just this task, then, I'd move the existing backups to safety and delete the existing task and make a new one.

If you are using more than one task to make the incs, fulls, and diffs, I'd put the fulls in a different directory from the inc task creations and the difffs in a different directory from the incs.

Needs differ, but I'd try to keep things simpler; you're using fulls, incs and diffs.

You inc task should create a new full every x many incs -- this is a user setting when you create the task.

Beginner
Kommentare: 21

Dear Scott,

many thanks for your answer!

I don't work with Acronis tasks, because I prefer to determine the time of my backups myself, to let them run after my work has finished and when I don't need my PC. So I start TI manually every day. May this be a problem for the software?

Forum Star

Starting tasks manually shouldn't be a prob and I know users that prefer it, finding it no more time consuming than checking whether the scheduler has performed.

But it's still gong to to try keep track of all the backups it makes or finds, so I'd still organize them in diff directories.

Beginner

Hi Scott,

my backups are on an external USB HDD which is only connected during backup process. And the scripts and logs from Acronis, I regularly archive them in archive sub-folders.

But, apart from this, I guess error #1364 does not correspond to this, but maybe to the defragmentations?

Forum Star

defragging shouldn't matter to ati except that your incs can be very big afterwards.

Beginner

Yes, I know. But as mentioned above, I only make a defrag before the weekly full image (defrag is also done only manually, not automated).

So you unfortunately also don't have any idea concerning the #1364?

Forum Star

Your case is unique sfaik. At this point I'd msconfig, uninstall and reinstall.

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

Forum Star

You looked at this?:

http://kb.acronis.com/content/2896

If that doesn't help, then run msconfig as described on the netsquirrel page, (this prevents other programs from interfering with proper installation of ati-- we'll set everything back when we're done.

uninstall ati,

run the ati cleaner: http://kb.acronis.com/content/24545
install ccleaner (it's free) and run it to clean up registry (this is a very benign program and helps clean out reg leftovers and temp directory leftovers).

install ati

runs ms config to return to Normal Startup

Beginner

Dear Scott,

thank you for your answers.

But my problem is not unique:
http://forum.acronis.com/de/forum/33895
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=237516
http://forum.acronis.com/forum/3127

Unfortunately, there's nowhere any working solution shown up.

Forum Star

You're right-- although extremely rare. I'd bet it has more to do with win than ati.

Did you look at this?

http://www.vistax64.com/software/226835-acronis-true-image-home-2009-un…

Beginner

Dear Scott,

as mentioned above, I really already checked my registry, and the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa has already the recommended values:
Name: Authentication Packages
Tape: REG_MULTI_SZ
Value: msv1_0

Moreover, error #1364 appears not always, but only every 2nd to 3rd try to do a backup, so it's no permanent error.

Forum Star

And you followed the prescription in post 8 above?

Beginner

Mh, the first link in post 8 is about error #1314 (not #1364). And the second recommends to deinstall Acronis, use an Acronis registry clean-up programm to really remove it, and re-install it afterwards. I will probably test this at the weekend, when I don't need my PC for work for some hours, because I never change the system when I need my PC for work, to avoid unwanted problems.

Beginner

Hello Scott,

I just want to let you know that this weekend, I made the defragging before restarting the PC (instead of afterwards). Because I guess that the defragging may make Acronis stumble: The error only appeared when I made a defragmentation and then didn't restart the PC before using Acronis. Another restart mostly solved the problem (only once, I had to do 2 system restarts to make Acronis work again).

This time, Acronis worked after the restart. But it's not sure if this really solves the problem, because - as mentioned above - the error #1364 only appeared every 2nd-3rd time. So I will keep this order (always restarting the PC between defragging and using Acronis) during the next weeks and let you know if this really solves the problem permanently.

Forum Star

The occurence sounds inconsistent enough that i would hesitate to darw any conclusions from the presumed correlations.

just curious, what defragger are you using?

Beginner

I'm using the standard Windows Vista defragmentation tool.

Beginner

Hello,

after several weeks of restarting Win Vista after each Windows Defragmentation and only starting with a full (i.e. no incremental or differential) backup after each Defrag, error #1364 only occured once during about 2 1/2 months.

So I guess that the reason for this Acronis problem really will be that the Acronis driver which records all changes between the last backup and the next will have trouble with defragmentation. Maybe, Windows did a Defrag before the one time when the error still occured without my notice, because even though I set the Defrag to only one certain time each week, sometimes Windows nevertheless starts Defrag in-between during longer idle periods of the system.

Beginner

Hello,

unfortunately, I've got the same error like before again quite often now: It's like a kind of gambling. Very often when I start a new full image (no errors with incremental or differential images up to now), error #1364 occurs again.

The only thing that works is restarting the PC: Afterwards, sometimes Acronis works again, but sometimes, even after restarting, #1364 occurs again, or sometimes there is no error message, but the imaging process does not start. Temporarily, a new/repair installation of TI seemed to help, but not for long.

I'm really frustrated by TI - a security tool which doesn't work stable at all. And that although I use the old version "TI Home 2009" because the later versions are said to be even more instable.

Forum Star

You could try using msconfig to see if any other software is in conflict.

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

Beginner

What has msconfig, where you can control auto start behavior, to do with this problem and how may it be solved with this tool?

Forum Star

msconfig is a standard tool for ferreting out program conflicts. follow the link and learn how to use it. you can decide if you want to try it.

Beginner

I guess this is a standard hint with low chances to solve my problem, more or less to let it look within this thread that its my own fault.

What I'm really angry about: I'm not the only user with this problem (elsewhere on the internet, I found similar postings), but Acronis doesn't care and seems not to have sufficient knowledge of their own software.

Because they have programmed this error message, so they should know when it appears and why.

Forum Star

Please listen, fellow user. Acronis sponsors this forum but those of us posting here are only users. Occasionally an Acronis rep will post but not often.

I'm just a user that's willing to take my own personal time to try to help other users. I don't work for Acronis; I don't get paid. The suggestions I have made to you are the same ones I would follow myself if confronted with a similar problem.

If you have a beef with Acronis, you can take it up with Acronis.

Beginner

Dear Scott,

I understood your role quite well, and so my previous posting was not primarily meant to you (I'm sorry if I expressed myself misunderstandable), but to Acronis (even though they will not care and offer no solution).

Forum Star

But this isn't the place to express yourself to acronis.
get it. These are users. You're complaining about the neighbors in the house to the left but you're doing in in the house on the right.

Beginner

Dear Scott,

mh, but some time ago, there were also official people from Acronis answering here, for example:
http://forum.acronis.com/de/node/3065

Forum Star

Yes, I said Acronis reps occasionally post here. But if you want to complain to Acronis, this isn't the place.
As for the link you posted, I've read it; you were less than polite to dimitry also. I don't know how you can expect to get sufficient help if you behave that way. Please act politely on these forums.

Beginner

By the way, this is the message which shows up every time when error #1364 occurs again (today, I had to restart my PC twice until imaging was working again):

Original German message:
Fehler bei Ausführen des Tasks
Beim Ausführen der Skriptdatei ist ein Fehler aufgetreten. Fehler #1364 - "Ein angegebenes Authentifizierungspaket ist unbekannt (0xFFF0)".

Translation:
Error during execution of task
During execution of the script file an error occured. Error #1364 - "A mentioned authentication package is unknown (0xFFF0)"