10350: How can I add my .tib Image file to my bootable USB flash drive ?

8 replies [Last post]
Ron S
Beginner

I followed the instructions from the KB article http://www.acronis.com/r/support/en/kb/388/flash.html to create a bootable USB flash drive with Acronis Home Image (I have v11, and am using Windows 7.) It boots fine and runs Acronis. Per the KB article, the drive was formatted Fat32 and its an 8GB drive. There is plenty of space, as the Acronis and boot files consumer only something like 200MB. I have a 6GB .tib image file and I wanted to copy it to that flash drive too - to have everything there, then put that flash drive safely away for future use.

But when I try to copy anything (even a small file), it says that drive has no space. Any idea why ? I've seen many KB articles about various methods to create a bootable USB drive for Acronis. I had no problem doing that per se, but is there some other step or one of the different methods I should follow, such that I can add additional files (namely my image file) to that USB drive, once its been made ?

Thank you.

Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Ron:

Since your flash drive is formatted as FAT32 you cannot copy any files to it that are larger than 4 GB. FAT32 has a file size limitation of 4 GB. However you should be able to copy small files to it, so I don't know what is wrong there. Is it write-protected?

If you can get copy to work with small files then if you want to copy your image file to the flash drive, make a new image but set the maximum split size to something less than 4 GB. TrueImage will split the image file into multiple pieces as it is created, thus allowing you to copy the pieces to the flash drive.

Acronis TI 10, TI 2011, TI 2013, DD 10, DD 11 user
Amateur Radio K0LO

Anton
Anton's picture
Forum Star

Hello all,

Thank you for your posts!

Mark, I appreciate your assistance!

Ron, to add to Mark's suggestion, please refer to page 42 of our User Guide for the Archive Splitting instructions. Also, have your tried saving the backup to your computer's hard drive, and then copy the backup to your thumb drive? If this way works, can you try and emulate restoration procedure, I wonder if the .tib file will still be "locked" in some way.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you.

Anton Deev

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base and Video Tutorials.

Check our Corporate and Consumer Handbooks and Online Documentation for help on managing your account, products and support.

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Ron,

Once you have the image file(s) on the flashdrive, make sure to boot to it and validate the image. This will let you know if TI can read it properly (hopefully, it will).

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

Ron S
Beginner

Thank you. If the issue is simply FAT32 and a big file, can I just change the steps and format it NTFS ? (Though I THOUGHT I couldn;t even copy a small file. I will double check that.) Will the Acronis Media Builder work and be ok on an NTFS USB Drive ?

I do always check my backup validity now. Thanks for that suggestion. This is slightly off topic, but since the suggestion was made to validate I will ask this too. In fact, I now change the default options to do the validation wen making the backup. I have definitely had cases in the past (before I always did this) when trying to do a restore where this step was skipped of getting a CRC error on a restore. Though thats indicative of some corruption, I have always thought it would be nice to have an option to SKIP that error and try to restore it anyway, despite the CRC error. It could afterall be a very minor error in something that wouldn't even matter. Is there any such override for restoring an image with a CRC error ?

Thank you for the suggestion. I will see try following same steps except for NTFS this evening.

Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Ron:

I don't think that the Acronis recovery environment can boot from NTFS - in the older versions of TI the Acronis boot loader was only capable of booting from a FAT32 partition. But they may have changed this in later versions of TI.

Perhaps MudCrab knows if the flash drive can boot into the Acronis recovery environment if it's formatted as NTFS.

Acronis TI 10, TI 2011, TI 2013, DD 10, DD 11 user
Amateur Radio K0LO

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

In TI 2010, Media Builder won't let you use an NTFS formatted flashdrive as the destination. It says it's not a supported file system and requests a FAT file system. I have not tried forcing it by creating the setup manually. I suspect TI 11 is probably the same.

I would recommend using FAT32 and splitting the image or using Grub4DOS with NTFS.

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

Ron S
Beginner

I found an 8GB USB drive here at work so tried it. Media Builder refuses to work on against a USB target drive that was formatted either as NTFS or exFAT. So I guess that answers that.

Anyone comment if there is a way to override a CRC error on a restore ?

Thanks

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Ron S wrote:
I do always check my backup validity now. Thanks for that suggestion.

Just so it's clear, I mean to make sure to validate the image on the flashdrive after booting to TI from the flashdrive. A validation done in Windows is not enough. You need to be sure TI can successfully read the image from the flashdrive when booted to the recovery media. If you are backing up to the flashdrive when already booted to the TI recovery media, I would still recommend rebooting and doing the validation. I've seen some weird things with flashdrives and TI.

Are you running TI 11 in Windows 7 or are you using it from the recovery media only? As you are probably aware, TI 11 isn't officially supported in Windows 7.

RonS wrote:
This is slightly off topic, but since the suggestion was made to validate I will ask this too. In fact, I now change the default options to do the validation wen making the backup. I have definitely had cases in the past (before I always did this) when trying to do a restore where this step was skipped of getting a CRC error on a restore. Though thats indicative of some corruption, I have always thought it would be nice to have an option to SKIP that error and try to restore it anyway, despite the CRC error. It could afterall be a very minor error in something that wouldn't even matter. Is there any such override for restoring an image with a CRC error ?

As far as I know, there is no way around this problem. While it may seem like it's an easy fix to just allow the image to be restored, it may not be. It really depends on where the corruption is. If it causes TI to be unable to read the image file correctly, you would just get garbage restored (assuming it worked at all).

MudCrab's Website