123138: Surface Pro 4 and Snap Deploy 4 - Do I need to Update to Snap Deploy 5 ?

7 replies [Last post]
hackerjoe
hackerjoe's picture
Forum Member

Hello all,

We have recently got a dozen or so Surface Pro 4's in and for the life of me I can't get Snap Deploy 4 to work at all.
Do I need to update to Snap Deploy 5 ?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Is it fRiDay Y3t ?
Me likey :P
Access Denied !
Version 3292 :P

Bobbo_3C0X1
Bobbo_3C0X1's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

hackerjoe,  I caught your post in the 2016 forum before this one.  In a nutshell, yes.  

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/121353

Products: True Image, Snap Deploy
System: Motherboard: GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 / CPU: i5 6600K (OC 4.3Ghz) / Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (OC 3000 Mhz) / SSDs: Samsung 950PRO NVME, OCZ Vertex 4, PNY XLR8 / HDs: WD Black / OS: Win 10 Pro x64 / NAS: WD MyCloud 4Tb
hackerjoe
hackerjoe's picture
Forum Member

Thank you for the reply Bobbo.
It looks like we'll be buying new SD5 licenses and updating to Build 1666

Thank you

Is it fRiDay Y3t ?
Me likey :P
Access Denied !
Version 3292 :P

Dan Shepherd
Beginner

I hope this is the right place. I need to take an image for Surface 4 Pro and my latest build of Snap Deploy 5 won't work. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bobbo_3C0X1
Bobbo_3C0X1's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Hi Dan, Have you grabbed and installed the 1666 beta from the sticky?  That should work for you.  You absolutely need SD5 as 4 is too old to support the newer SP4's and 1666 is the version that brings NVME PCIE hard drive support to the default Linux media.

Sticky: Build 1666 can be found here!

System: Motherboard: GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 / CPU: i5 6600K (OC 4.3Ghz) / Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (OC 3000 Mhz) / SSDs: Samsung 950PRO NVME, OCZ Vertex 4, PNY XLR8 / HDs: WD Black / OS: Win 10 Pro x64 / NAS: WD MyCloud 4Tb
Dan Shepherd
Beginner

Hey Bob,

I Downloaded SD5 v1666 this morning and upon testing, I still can't take the image. The touchscreen doesn't work and neither does the keyboard. I tried a USB Powered Hub but then it won't recognize the HDD to boot to.

Thanks,

Bobbo_3C0X1
Bobbo_3C0X1's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Keep in mind that the SP4 is a Windows only piece of hardware specifically built to run with Windows 10.  The default rescue media of Acronis is LINUX and there are no Linux drivers for the unique hardware in the Surface Pro 4 - touch screen will not work, nor will the surface keyboard.  

1) To use the default Linux-based rescue media, you will need to use a USB hub with withe single USB plug on the SP4 and then attach an external keyboard/mouse.  I use a wireless logitech unifying device and that seems to work with the rescue media as well and cuts down on the need to only have one USB plug to the hub and cuts down on wires - a generic USB keyboard and mouse should work just fine too (Amazon basics combo pack is cheap and handy)

or

2) build WinPE resuce media using the Windows 10 ADK which should have the drivers needed for the Surface Pro 4.  You can create a .wim file and upload that to your deployment server to PXE boot from, or  you can also build the winPE rescue media to your CD/DVD or a usb flash drive and boot that.  The downside with WinPE and SD is that it only has stand-a-lone image creator, but no stand-a-lone deployment for some reason.  You can use command line to do the same thing, but I've never done it so am not 100% of the process, but it's in the online documenation.  

When you say it does not recognize the HDD to boot to, do you mean that it's not detecting your bootable Acronis recovery media at all?  If that's the case, you may want to try a different hub, or plug in just the hub and hard drive to start and if that allows you to get to the Acronis menu, then plug in the keyboard and mouse and wait a few seconds.  A usb hub should still work unless there's a problem with that specific one or make/model.  I usually use these lately because they are not only a USB 3.0 hub, but also has a built in Gb Ethernet adapter.  The Surface Pro's have underpowered USB ports though so I can see why the USB powered hub was chosen - hubs are a mixed bag though so it may be worth trying a different one if you have something else. Definitely want to be using a USB 3.0 hub if you can with these as well. 

Dan Shepherd
Beginner

Thanks Bob!

I ended up having to boot to the SD5 Media first, and then switch to the HUB to connect a mouse and keyboard with the HDD. SD5 picked up the other components immediately. A little bit of an annoyance but it works so I can deal with that. :)

Thanks again,
Dan