127449: Can not install on vsphere 6.5

20 replies [Last post]
dmartos
Beginner

I just installed new ESXI 6.5, then Acronis backup for vmware 9.10571 as an apliance and on the last sted it gives me an error, can not install agent.

Is there any workarround for vsphere 6.5?

Vasily
Vasily's picture
Senior Program Manager, Acronis Backup

Hi,

Acronis Backup for VMware 9 does not support vSphere 6.5 (obviously, since vSphere 6.5 was just released). From what I've checked there is no easy workaround, since the appliance .ovf format used in Acronis Backup for VMware 9 is not applicable to vSphere 6.5. The possible solution which may work is using Windows Agent installation. The functionality which likely won't work is the following: 1) ESXi configuration backup and restore, 2) Run VM from backup, 3) Backup/restore of VMs which have newly introduced virtual hardware attached (NVME controller for example).

Thank you.

Best regards,
Vasily
Acronis Virtualization Program Manager

Information provided AS-IS with no warranty of any kind.

Steve Kenney
Forum Member

Will an existing installation continue to function if we update to 6.5?  I really don't want use V12.  I'd rather keep it as its own dedicate VM appliance.  We don't run windows here hardly at all so I don't want to run an agent. 

Vasily
Vasily's picture

Hi Steve,

As mentioned in my previous reply there are chances that after updating to vSphere 6.5 the backups performed by Acronis Backup for VMware 9 will still work, but these chances are pretty low and likely there will be problems even with this primary function. There will be no official support for vSphere 6.5 in Acronis Backup for VMware 9 in the near future (may be never), so if anything doesn't work, you'll need to upgrade to v12.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Vasily

Steve Kenney
Forum Member

SO effectively we lose all of those features by moving to v12 and are now forced to use an agent? Even though we've paid our support/maintenance which is for updates etc?

Alrighty then I guess I'm forced into V12 and to redo our entire backup system. 

Steve Kenney
Forum Member

Ok this is really really bad.  Why have I been paying for in the support/maintenance for this product the past years if it was to be abandoned?

I had a self contained backup system on a  separate vmware cluster on 10 gig network that I could access from any computer with a web browser and a vpn connection.  It had a symbiotic 1:1 datastore to host relationship that could restore anything within minutes.  Firewalled and easy to manage. 

Now I need to establish a 3 way communication that basically crosses 1GB connections.  Also I need agents on every single one of my linux servers basically placing 3rd party software into production operating systems.  If not that I need an agent to put somewhere in Vcenter nowhere easily to be found in the downloads section, though it is referenced in the docs).  We do not run windows servers nor do we run anything with GUI's in a virtual environment as it easy up resources.  So we've added another layer of failure to the system and now if I install this management server on my local machine,  now I've turned my local linux machine into a production server.  

This is like two steps forward and 3 steps backward.

Vasily
Vasily's picture

Hi Steve,

In order to achieve the closest configuration with Acronis Backup 12 you can use the Linux version of it which allows installation of Acronis Management Server ("AMS" - the core component) on Linux and use it for backup management - there will be also web interface accessible from anywhere just like you have it currently. Another component would be virtual appliance provided in .ovf (installed near AMS) - you will need to deploy it and register on AMS, so in total there will be 2 machines participating in the backup infrastructure. There is no need to have agents inside every Linux machine - agent-less VM backup for vSphere is supported by Acronis Backup 12 through this deployed appliance.

Therefore the main difference between your current setup and the one with Acronis Backup 12 would be 1 additional Linux machine which hosts AMS.

P.S. We're planning to implement the same all-in-one appliance concept in v12 too (internal ID: ABR-70213). It's pending to come with future updates planned for 2017. Until then it's still possible to have pure Linux-based or pure Windows-based setups with Acronis Backup 12, e.g. there is no need in mix.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Vasily

Steve Kenney
Forum Member

That is good to know about the future development.  That is good.  I understand the reasoning behind putting your product under one big  umbrella supporting multiple platforms.  It is just the simplicity and ease of your old system is what drew us to it.  I can get any of my employees to run the backups if need be and deploying a new server is easily done in minutes.  There have been a few times in the past 8 years that I've needed to completely reinstall the VM and redo all the jobs and it was pretty painless.  Now recovery time if the software were to go corrupt or I would install a new operating system would take more time.

Would you happen to know where the .ovf is located?  I couldn't find it in the downloads or in the actual linux installer. 

Thanks for your reply.

Vasily
Vasily's picture

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the detailed feedback, it's much appreciated. The appliance OVF by default is located under /usr/lib/Acronis/ESXAppliance/ folder - it is placed there during AMS installation (e.g. you'll find it there after install).

Thank you.

Best regards,
Vasily

Steve Kenney
Forum Member

Perfect thanks!

Daniel Charron
Beginner

Hello Steve.

I suggest you buy Veeam Backup for your VM. The cost of purchase is much cheaper and the quality is better.
With Acronis since the series of backup 9, we had many problems with the restoration and the backup and this despite the positive result in the logs
This has created a lot of wasted time and money for our customers. Unfortunately the only version of acronis that gave us satisfaction and that we could recommend was the backup series for VMware.

Because we have upgraded all clients to version 6.5, Veeam was the first company to release the update 5 days after the release of vmware 6.5.
Unfortunately acronis has chosen to not update their version of vmbackup and obligate customer  to buy a version for a series of acronis Backup which we do not recommend and which will cost lot more money to our customer.

For this reason, I suggest you to go to veeam backup. Reliable on restore and backup and easy to use and install.

From a old and desapoited customer of Acronis.

Vasily
Vasily's picture

Hi Daniel,

First of all for me it's really sad to hear that the product didn't meet your expectations. From your tickets history the last one I found was submitted back in the middle of 2016 and was related to support of Exchange 2016 in Acronis Backup for VMware 9. The reasons for this issue will become clear from my below points.

Secondly: in fact Veeam as of today still does not have an official public update which supports vSphere 6.5. It was announced here, but still there there was no public update according to this thread. VMware made it quite complicated for all backup vendors to support their new vSphere 6.5 version fast enough due to various major changes in APIs which were revealed "last minute".

Here in Acronis we are actively working on full vSphere 6.5 support to add it in Acronis Backup 12 Update 3 which is coming in the next several weeks and planned for 7th of Feb 2017. Acronis never stopped developing Acronis Backup product family and Acronis Backup 12 is the successor for Acronis Backup for VMware 9 (e.g. new version of the same product), so there is a free upgrade path from 9 to 12 version (with active maintenance) and logically it's the same product family from all perspectives.

Also as stated in my above comments the limitations of v12 in comparison with v9 are clear for us and we are working in this direction to fill the gaps and provide best user experience on new v12 platform.

P.S. Here's some technical background on why the things are as they are: it is nearly impossible to support the vSphere 6.5 version in Acronis Backup for VMware 9 due to requirement to use 64-bit VMware VDDK versions (6.0+ versions are required and they are provided by VMware _only_ in 64-bit format), while Acronis Backup for VMware 9 is 32-bit software. If it would be a matter of small code patch then we would definitely issued an update for Acronis Backup for VMware v9 with support for vSphere 6.5 (we do want to do so), but the changes required for this simply cannot fit into old platform, which is why vSphere 6.5 support is pending to be done in Acronis Backup 12 only, which is (again) a new version for Acronis Backup for VMware 9, but not a separate product.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Vasily

Francesco
Beginner

Hi Vasily,

I was reading the entire post and I understand that Acronis Backup for VMware v9 (the backup solution we are currently running on our infrastructure as stand-alone appliance) will never be supported in vSphere 6.5, for software architecture reasons. In fact we have found that the "old" appliance is crashing during backup jobs execution when connected to a vCenter 6.5, while it's still working in a stand-alone ESXi 6.5 host.

In your last message you are saying that "...there is a free upgrade path from 9 to 12 version (with active maintenance)...": what should do users that are running a perpetual licensed version of Acronis Backup for VMware (with EXPIRED maintenance) to migrate to Acronis Backup 12?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards.

Products: Backup for VMware
System: vSphere 6.5
Vasily
Vasily's picture

Hi Francesco,

The free upgrade policy depends on the time past since the original maintenance contract expiration (30 days and 12 months are checkpoints). In short: if your maintenance expired more than 12 months ago, then you'll need to purchase an Upgrade license for Acronis Backup 12, otherwise there are variants with maintenance renewal. You can check the details (see table on p. 4) in the following document: http://www.acronis.com/en-us/download/docs/AGRP/handbook/

Thank you.

Best regards,
Vasily

Steve Kenney
Forum Member

Not a big fan of Veeam at all.  In fact I hate them with a passion.  Mainly because of their sales team and marketing people.   Acronis has worked for me for years however this does pose an issue for me.  It really forces me into an uncomfortable situation that forces me to add resources and learn the new system.  Also to manage it differently.  Change is good, so I have no problem learning a new system but when you are going backward instead of forward on ease of use and functionality it makes you wonder why go through all the extra effort.  In this case I'm forced to. 

Francesco
Beginner

Hi Vasily,

first of all many thanks for the quick response. I've realized that our Acronis Backup for VMware v9 licenses were covered by valid support maintenance, so I've upgraded them to Acronis Backup 12, directly from Acronis Account control panel.

By the way,  I have another question... we had Acronis Backup for VMware licenced for two CPUs because our infrastructure is composed by 2 single processor ESXi nodes: Acronis Backup 12 licensing model is "virtual host based" (not CPU) and I expected that the automatic migration path should give us the opportunity to have 2 virtual host licenses, instead of single one.

Is that possibile? How can we do that?

Thanks again for your support.

Francesco

PS (for Steve): I totally agree with your last comment about the ease of use Acronis Backup for VMware Appliance architecture, compared to the complexity of Veeam software suite.

Products: Backup for VMware
System: vSphere 6.5
Vasily
Vasily's picture

Hi Francesco,

By default during automatic upgrade 2 CPUs license is converted into 1 Virtual host license (for single host), however we do have a process to provide additional missing licenses in cases where the 2 CPU license was used to cover 2 separate hosts - the additional license can be requested from our support team (that's assuming that maintenance contract is active of course).

Thank you.

Best regards,
Vasily

mrsassy
Beginner

Where can I find out more information about ABR-70213?

I need to install Acronis Backup 12 as a virtual appliance EXACTLY like the prior version that I have been using for years.  I refuse to install a seprate backup controller server that becomes a single point of failure for all backups.

We are well into 2017.  When can I expect this update to be released?  I'm currently forced to shop around for competing software.

Vasily
Vasily's picture

Hi,

The all-in-one appliance concept (ABR-70213) is planned to be introduced on Acronis Backup 12 platform by the end of this year and should come in one of the next updates - current ETA is Autumn 2017.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Vasily

Steve Kenney
Forum Member

Too late for me, I switched to Nakivo as it had built in support for our Synology datastores as well and a dedicated VM.  I'll still keep Acronis at one of our other locations though as by the time I'm ready to upgrade to 6.5 there you'll have the appliance ready. 

mrsassy
Beginner

I installed a Nakivo trial and it looks good so far.  They even gave me a discount for my Acronis licenses.  I requested an upgrade quote from Acronis and got no response after 2 days.  I'm not sure who the target audience is for Acronis now but I'm feeling like it isn't me anymore.