128036: Can't boot into Acronis usb

9 replies [Last post]
AhhKroNys
Beginner

I created a mac boot usb of Acronis True Image 2017 build 5573 (rescue media)

USB: Kingston DataTraveler G4 8GB

I rebooted the mac w/ usb, went into the macOS Utilities, selected Acronis, pressed Continue. But nothing happens, nothing loads.

Not sure why.

The USB is brand new, originally FAT32. It took 3 hours for Acronis to create the boot usb, but it passed.

Help? :)

Bobbo_3C0X1
Bobbo_3C0X1's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

I fear that your drive may not be working correctly or properly creaed.  It should not take 3 hours to create a USB drive - even if using USB 2.0 (but hopefully you have USB 3.0 ports and a USB 3.0 flash drive).  It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

I would suggest you fully format the flash drive using the OS X Disk Utilities and make sure to format it as OS X journaled and then try building the rescue media again.  You may even want to try another flash drive as there could be an issue with that one and can rule that out if it goes faster and works better with a different one. 

Products: True Image, Snap Deploy
System: Motherboard: GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 / CPU: i5 6600K (OC 4.3Ghz) / Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (OC 3000 Mhz) / SSDs: Samsung 950PRO NVME, OCZ Vertex 4, PNY XLR8 / HDs: WD Black / OS: Win 10 Pro x64 / NAS: WD MyCloud 4Tb
AhhKroNys
Beginner

USB is bad. I reformatted it to OS X journaled and still has a problem... too long to create rescue media.

So I tried another USB stick... Lexar 128gb.... I can create the rescue media quickly.... but when I boot with Lexar > go to macOS Utilities > select Recover from Acronis True Image Backup > press Continue > nothing happens.

2 different usb, brand new, same result in the end :(

Should I try an older version of ATI?
I may need to contact Acronis support...

AhhKroNys
Beginner

Almost forgot... its Macbook Pro 2015

AhhKroNys
Beginner

Saw these:
https://forum.acronis.com/forum/101643
https://forum.acronis.com/forum/102255

"You should boot the Mac only while holding down the Option button during the booting procedure and then choosing the recovery media. Then the recovery media can boot the Mac."

This is what I'm doing.

Bobbo_3C0X1
Bobbo_3C0X1's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Agreed with powering off and holding option key right after the Apple gong to bring up different boot options. In the Windows forum sticky, it says to use 32Gb or smaller drives for 3rd party bootliaders.  I wonder if this applies to OSX as well?

System: Motherboard: GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 / CPU: i5 6600K (OC 4.3Ghz) / Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (OC 3000 Mhz) / SSDs: Samsung 950PRO NVME, OCZ Vertex 4, PNY XLR8 / HDs: WD Black / OS: Win 10 Pro x64 / NAS: WD MyCloud 4Tb
AhhKroNys
Beginner

I saw it with 8gb too (Kingston drive). Both are USB 3.0.

Don't have another <32gb drive to try at the moment.

I contacted Acronis support earlier this week and currently waiting for their help.

I'm tempted to reinstall an older OS (10.12?) and try it there since the 5573 release notes support that...

Bobbo_3C0X1
Bobbo_3C0X1's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Let's see what Acronis says in your support case - if you emailed them, you should contat them via chat and reference yoru case #.  Chat is instant, email can take a few days to get a response.  

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/support/contact-us.html

If there is an OS compabitility issue, that is good to identify, but I probably wouldn't roll back the entire OS to get it working.  I would use the default Time Machine Backup for the interim.  Actually, I would Time Machine and Acronis to supplement each other - having different recovery options gives you a better chance of recovery in different situations and diversifying the backup type, backup location(s), backup software, backup scheme and backup schedule(s) are really advantagous to protecting your data.

Chris Sparkes
Beginner

I'm also having the same problem where two seperate USB keys were used to create recovery media but each time pressing on Acronis backup in recovery mode did nothing.

Following advice from technical support, I've removed the app using the clean up utility, reinstalled and recreated the media. Still no good. I have uploaded a system report and waiting for feedback from support.

Without this being resolved the software is useless so have moved back to Time Machine and CCC until we get a solution.

I'm running macOS Sierra (10.12.2) on a Macbook pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015).

Chris Sparkes
Beginner

Ive been told by support that this is a known issue with the product and will be fixed in the next updated version.