128106: Clone 1TB SSHD to 750GB Crucial SSD issue

7 replies [Last post]
Adam Rylko
Beginner

Hi,

i am trying to clone my 1TB HDD onto my new crucial MX300 750GB SSD by using Acronis true Image 2015.

I'm getting to the phase were Acronis is asking me to restart pc to continue, than it performs restart and on screen it shows Starting Acronis UEFI loader and then nothing..

I have Win 10 home 64bit. The old HDD is in my laptotp and new SSD connected in case via USB 3.0.

Any thoughts please ??

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Please search the forum for "Clone" to find the many posts outlining our recommended procedure. For example, we recommend that you clone only after booting from the ATI bootable Rescue Media, not from Windows, and to have the new SSD in place internally while the old drive (Clone source) is external or in secondary drive position. Also, it would be equally effective but safer to perform a full disk mode backup and restore it to the new drive, rather than to clone.

I am not a fan of cloning. Cloning is an "all or nothing" process. If something goes wrong, the user may end up with two unbootable drives and loss of data. Backup and recovery is a far safer method, and allows for multiple tries if the user is unfamiliar. Cloning has no advantage over full backup and restore, except a slight time saving at the expense of considerably more risk and complexity.

If you do want to clone, it should be performed only after booting from the ATI bootable Rescue Media. Do not allow the PC to boot to Windows with both drives still connected. But, better and safer would be to create a full disk mode backup and restore it to the new drive. Plus, you can save many full system images to a single external drive, versus only one clone.

Clone should be used only by advanced users who know what they are doing. It is riskier and can result in a loss of data and a failed system. Create a full disk mode backup and restore it, using the bootable Rescue Media, to the target disk, as it's far safer and simpler.

Here are a couple of good posts by Bobbo, another MVP, giving recommended clone procedures:
https://forum.acronis.com/forum/125166#comment-387534
https://forum.acronis.com/forum/126072#comment-391792

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

Steve Smith
Steve Smith's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Adam, please be aware that your source 1TB SSHD drive is essentially a Hybrid drive, i.e. a combination of a small SSD with a spinning HDD drive, as such this should not be cloned, but as already advised, you should be using Backup and Restore to effect the same clone operation, which is also a whole lot safer that ending with both drives corrupted and an unbootable system.

Products: ATIH 9.0 - 11.0, 2009 - 2017
System: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10; (Desktops & Laptops); Dell, Lenovo, Home build;
Adam Rylko
Beginner

Thanks guys for help. I solved this issue eventually by clone anyway ☺

I putted both HDD to cases USB 3.0 and did it on another laptop (OS win 7 home) using Acronis True Image 2015.

Steve Smith
Steve Smith's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Adam, thank you for giving feedback and glad to hear that you found a solution to this issue.

Products: ATIH 9.0 - 11.0, 2009 - 2017
System: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10; (Desktops & Laptops); Dell, Lenovo, Home build;
Bobbo_3C0X1
Bobbo_3C0X1's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

I believe that SSHD, as long as it shows up as a basic disk in Windows is clone-able.  I did clone a toshiba sshd to an evo 850 without issue with 2016 back in May - had no other choice as I was visiting Germany and helping my mother-in-law with an upgrade and she had nothing to take a backup with and restore to so I chanced the clone since it was needed.  I think the key is that the newer hybrid drives (within the last couple of years that are a single physical drive in appearance) report themselves as one drive to Windows and Acronis.  On the other hand, systems that have an actual physical SSD for caching and a separate spinning data drive for the data are using using 2 different controllers which report as dynamic to Windows and Acronis) and those, along with any type of RAID setup always report as dynamic and can't be cloned. 

Adam,

I supect it worked from USB to USB because there is no SATA mode involved (no AHCI, no RAID) - they're both just seen as an external drive and the USB drivers in the Acronis media are sufficient on your friends computer.  I don't see why that wouldnt' work on the original system with any version of Acronis either.  However, it sounds like you started the clone from Windows and that's why you need another computer to start the process.  Glad it worked, but is risky.  You should try to familiarize yourself with the Acornis bootable recovery media - where you can take backups, restore backups, or start a clone when the OS is completely idle and without risking the possiblity of making your original computer unbootable (starting a clone or full disk recovery from Windows can make your system unbootable if it cannot switch to the Acronis linux environment successfully, hence not being able to switch it back to Windows once it's started that change).  This is completely avoidable using rescue media.

All-in-all, you accomplished what you set out to, with relative ease, so kudos to you, but keep these in mind down the road to avoid a potential pitfall that can be avoided.  

Cheers!

Products: True Image, Snap Deploy
System: Motherboard: GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 / CPU: i5 6600K (OC 4.3Ghz) / Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (OC 3000 Mhz) / SSDs: Samsung 950PRO NVME, OCZ Vertex 4, PNY XLR8 / HDs: WD Black / OS: Win 10 Pro x64 / NAS: WD MyCloud 4Tb
Pablo Rizzetto
Beginner

Hi! My name is Pablo, I am from Argentina.

I bought the same SSD Crucial 750GB and I have problem cloning.. I made the USB Flash recovery Drive and the problem persists.

What can I do? I have the possibility to connect the old HDD of 1TB and the new SSD of 750GB to my desktop computer with SATA cable.

Do I install Acronis or just run the Recovery USB drive? I can't clone I don't know why.

Thanks!

Bobbo_3C0X1
Bobbo_3C0X1's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Pablo, please take a look at this knowledge base article for some useful information about cloning limitations:  https://kb.acronis.com/content/56634

Use your rescue media and do not attempt to start a clone or a backup restoration from Windows - you do not want to chance the possibility of ending up with a completely unbootable machine. Using your rescue media will help ensure that situation is completely avoided.

Skip the cloning.  If possible, take a full disk backup with your recovery media (store it to another location - at least temporarily) and then restore the image to the new drive.  The results will be the same, but it is safer and has less limitations than cloning.  There are a number of reasons a clone is not possible, but using a backup/recovery instead of the clone option should bypass all of them.  

Clones are not possible or can fail if:

1) Original drive has dirty/bad sectors.. run chkdsk /f /r against the original drive first.  Bad sectors will force the clone to try a sector by sector backup.  Ifyou are trying to clone a larger drive to a smaller drive, then it will not fit on the smaller drive when it uses sector by sector since it will want to clone the entire 1TB drive (even the unused space) to the smaller 750Gb drive and will not be able to fit.

2) If you have any dynamic disk in your configuration (RAID, a motherboard that uses an SSD caching drive and a spinning drive together that report as a single drive to Windows, or have set any of the disks in the clone process to dynamic from within Windows disk manager), clone is not supported.  Use backup and recovery instead.

3) Some drives use different sector sizes - drives with different sector sizes cannot be cloned because the layout is different.

4) Check how your original OS was installed (legacy/MBR or UEFI/GPT). Once verified, check how you booted the recovery media - it needs to match how the OS was installed. If the OS is installed as legacy (MBR/bios), then boot your rescue media in legacy mode. If the OS was installed as UEFI/GPT, then boot your rescue media as UEFI.

Check if OS is installed legacy or UEFI:  https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/29504-bios-mode-see-if-windows-boot-uefi-legacy-mode.html

Check if you are booting your recovery media in legacy or UEFI mode:  https://forum.acronis.com/forum/121829#comment-378318

5) I don't know your other bios details, settings etc.  Make sure you are starting the recovery and/or clone from your usb recovery media and that it can detect both hard drives from there.  Personally, I think you will have less trouble and end up with the results you are looking for, by using the backup and recovery method instead of trying to clone.  It has less limitations, is safer, and it gives you a backup (a restoration point that you can use at any time) should things go bad anytime after that.  

Products: True Image, Snap Deploy
System: Motherboard: GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 / CPU: i5 6600K (OC 4.3Ghz) / Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (OC 3000 Mhz) / SSDs: Samsung 950PRO NVME, OCZ Vertex 4, PNY XLR8 / HDs: WD Black / OS: Win 10 Pro x64 / NAS: WD MyCloud 4Tb