128635: Slow Download for Recovery

3 replies [Last post]
timcody
Beginner

I am downloading my Cloud Backup to a new PC which is approximately 1.6 TB.  My system currently has 200 MBPS download and 20 MBPS upload.  I started the download over 24 hours ago and it is showing I am at 12.1GB so far which is extremely slow.  I have done a number of speed tests during this process and it is averaging between 221 MBPS for a high and 176 MBPS for a low.  My initial backup for the Cloud service took close to a month and I was expecting much better performance on the download.

Is this normal or is there an issue at Acronis?

Tim

Bobbo_3C0X1
Bobbo_3C0X1's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Not much we can help with the speeds in the forum - could be ISP caps - most ISP's have a maximum bandwidth per month and theny throttle or cap - if they see constant downloads, they may do it even if you have not hit your limit.

I don't know for sure either, but I'd imagine there are download restrictions from Acronis as well. They'd have to have some crazy huge pipe to let everyone download and upload at all of our max bandwidth.

1.6Tb is crazy big for a cloud backup/restore.  Do you not have any local backups as well?  Cloud/offsite backup should be secondary for disaster recovery as it is much slower, but offsite in case your local backups fail, damaged or are stolen.  

Even a local backup of 1.6Tb would be likely to take a few days to complete if maxing out full SATA3 SSD speeds (however that would fluctuate too as you deal with different types of files/folders... you only get the fast speeds for large chunks of sequential data like big files such as .iso's - Windows folders, application folders, etc, will be muuuuuuuuuuuuuch slower transferring as that is limited to 4K (IOPS) transfer speeds by the hard drives themselves.  

Last, you're downloading in Mbps, not MBps - that's another magnitued of at least 8x.  You're bandwidth is maximum 200Mbps, not MBps.

http://home.earthlink.net/~flatlinecs/id48.html

Mbps: (Small "b") A megabit per second (Mbit/s or Mbps) is a unit of data transfer rate equal to 1,000,000 bits per second or 1,000 kilobits per second. 8 Megabits per second is equivalent to 1 Megabyte per second (ie. 8 Mbps = 1 MBps). Hence 1 Megabits per second = 0.125 Megabyte per second (ie. 1 Mbps = 0.125 MBps)).

Products: True Image, Snap Deploy
System: Motherboard: GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 / CPU: i5 6600K (OC 4.3Ghz) / Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (OC 3000 Mhz) / NVMEs: Samsung 950PRO, MyDigital BPX / SSDs: OCZ Vertex 4, PNY XLR8 / HDs: WD Black / OS: Win 10 Pro x64 / NAS: WD MyCloud 4Tb
timcody
Beginner

I should have left the description in lower case.  I do understand what my system is capable of and I recently downloaded a large program that was over a gig and it only took about 15 - 20 minutes to complete.  As far as data restrictions I have none that I know of and this is coming from my cable provider and like I said yesterday, I took several speed test for download speeds and I was always at my max or close to it.  With the exception of about 250 gig the balance of my back up is Raw Photos.  I have a feeling that all of the restriction is coming from the source.  12.2 gigs in 24 hours is very slow.

I have a business computer at our factory and had to do a restore of 150 Gig on a old DSL that limits us to 6 Mbps and we use Carbonite.  That download took a day and a half.  In comparison this Acronis system seems inferior.

Bobbo_3C0X1
Bobbo_3C0X1's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

What version are you using? In ATIH 2017, the cloud backup advanced tab has a speed settling. It's in optimal by default. Change it to unrestricted (in on a phone so can't remember the exact name) and see if that speeds things up.

Products: True Image, Snap Deploy
System: Motherboard: GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 / CPU: i5 6600K (OC 4.3Ghz) / Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (OC 3000 Mhz) / NVMEs: Samsung 950PRO, MyDigital BPX / SSDs: OCZ Vertex 4, PNY XLR8 / HDs: WD Black / OS: Win 10 Pro x64 / NAS: WD MyCloud 4Tb