128966: Alienware PC issue: SD4 LAN

3 replies [Last post]
Peter Popper
Beginner

I'm running into an issue trying to use Sanp Deploy 4 to create an image within a server on an Alienware 15 PC; however, while I can network boot into Acronis, the server is not detected. I have tried a variety of adapters and drivers for Windows 10, but none of those things have allowed me to save the image within the server space. For the time being, I am only interested in creating the image using Master Image Creator. Any help on the issue would be appreciated. Thanks.

Products: Snap Deploy 4
Bobbo_3C0X1
Bobbo_3C0X1's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Peter,

If the system is physically available to you, you can use the offline recovery media to boot directly from it on the Alienware.  From there, you could run image creator to capture the image "locally" and then save it to an external drive and/or transfer it to the server.

I suspect that SD4 doesn't have the necessary drivers for your system as SD4 is a few years old now

Acronis Snap Deploy 4.0 (Build # 540, English, 358.0 MB)2012-10-26

and the default media probably doesnt' have all fo the necessary drivers.  In order to get it to see the server, you'd likely have to build a WinPE boot.wim and upload that to the server.  The WinPE.wim would need the necessary NIC drivers for the Alienware, but I believe that SD4 only supported WinPE 4.0 (Windows 7) and not 5.0 (Windows 8/8.1) or 6.0 (Windows 10)

In some cases, using the default linux media (locally on the machine) I've had good luck using a USB to ethernet adapter if the NIC won't be detected either.  With PXE boot, teh adapters can be hit or miss, but when booting the localy machine, it usually can create an image and store it on a network share just fine (assuming you have the permissions on the share accessible and can provide the correct network name and password to authenticate manually when prompted from the rescue media).

Products: True Image, Snap Deploy
System: Motherboard: GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 / CPU: i5 6600K (OC 4.3Ghz) / Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (OC 3000 Mhz) / NVMEs: Samsung 950PRO, MyDigital BPX / SSDs: OCZ Vertex 4, PNY XLR8 / HDs: WD Black / OS: Win 10 Pro x64 / NAS: WD MyCloud 4Tb
Peter Popper
Beginner

So I can boot into Acronis over an Ethernet cable just fine; however, I can't create an image on the server because the server itself doesn't show up upon starting the image creator.

Products: Snap Deploy 4
Bobbo_3C0X1
Bobbo_3C0X1's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Peter, 

Try typing in the path in the search bar to the share.

Example:\\

192.168.1.100\acronisimages    <enter>

You should get an authentication request to be able to get to it like that. In an AD network, don't forfeit to use domain\username for the username.

Products: True Image, Snap Deploy
System: Motherboard: GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 / CPU: i5 6600K (OC 4.3Ghz) / Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (OC 3000 Mhz) / NVMEs: Samsung 950PRO, MyDigital BPX / SSDs: OCZ Vertex 4, PNY XLR8 / HDs: WD Black / OS: Win 10 Pro x64 / NAS: WD MyCloud 4Tb