14047: Creating Bootable USB-Stick does not work (on several ways) [solved]

3 replies [Last post]
Peter Heinerbach
Beginner

Hello,

i have tried 30 times now on several ways, but creating a bootable usb.stick does not work.

first i simply tried creating that media using 'Bootable Rescue Media Builder'

but when i try to boot with this stick it always tells me:

acronis loader fatal error boot drive partition not found

so i googeled and looked around this forum and also dir som tests.
the stick itself is bootable (using hp tools and dosfiles i can boot a dos enviroment)

so i did i found here and user diskpart to create a new partion on the stick and activae it.
but using 'Bootable Rescue Media Builder' aain after this procedure led to the same result:

acronis loader fatal error boot drive partition not found

so i tired the version with syslinux.
using that way i can boot with the stick and acronis starts, but now im not able to make a backuo, because it tells me, its a trial version (wich it was not if that 'Bootable Rescue Media Builder' would work fine.

i meanwhile tested it with 3 totaly diferent usb-sticks, the all work with dos and all work with syslinux/acronis but none of them starts after using that Builder-tool.

anny sugestion how to get that to work, so that i can create ackups with that stick ?

regards

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

This thread may help you.

I prefer using Grub4DOS if it works because it's more flexible.

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

Peter Heinerbach
Beginner

great tip

extracting the bootsector from the dvd to bif worked.
opening/extracting files from that .bif-file did not (ultraiso told me unknown format)

but the hin itself helped
on the (not working) usb-rescue-stick have benn dat2.dat and dat3.dat

so i use my syslinux with those 2 files and everything works fine.

(its just a shame that i had to spend lots of hours for such a simple solution because of the mediabuilder not working. i tried that on 3 different computers, 2 notebooks and one desktop, and that tool did not work on none of them)

here for other people having the same problem. a full working guide how to build a usb-rescue-boot-media

first look at the automaticly created not working bootstick (done with that media-builder from arconis) and safe the files dat2.dat and dat3.dat for later use

preparing the stick to boot:
open a commandshell and type in: diskpart
list disk (to show all alailable disks)
select disk x (replace x with the number of your usb-stick)
list partition (just to check if its really the stick)
clean (deletes everything on the stick, incl all partitions)
create partition primary (as it says)
select partition 1
active (to mark it as active)
format fs=fat32 quick (quick works fine, no reason to wait longer)
assign (give it a drive letter)
exit

download http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/syslinux-4.02.zip and extract it
change into the new extracted path, look for win32 (or win64 if you are running 64bit)
change into that path and execute 'syslinux.exe x:' where x is the dirveletter of your stick.
rename dat3.dat to kernel.dat and dat2.dat to ramdisk.dat and copy them to the stick again
now open a text-editor (like notepad) and type the following in there:

timeout 100
default ati
label ati
kernel kernel.dat
append initrd=ramdisk.dat vga=0x314 ramdisk_size=40000 quiet

save that as syslinux.cfg on the usb-stick.
now there should be 4 files on the stick (one is hidden and might be invisible)

thats it, now you have a working usb-rescue-media

hef phun

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Glad it's working now. I agree about Media Builder. The loader it uses and even how the program "tries" to create the flashdrive and make it bootable doesn't work very well in many situations.

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.