15559: Acronis True Image Home 11 Cloning Problems

7 replies [Last post]
Jason Lee
Beginner

I've been spending sleepless night trying to clone my HP Envy 14 hard disk onto an identical 500 GB hard disk with Acronis True Image Home 11. The HP source disk drive has 3 partitions , one Windows 7 , one basic drivers & one hidden

I've tried to clone using Acronis Rescue Media (boot CD) and from Windows 7 environment as well.
I have also swap my target drive into the laptop and leaving the source drive on a usb external connection

Each time, the result is always the same , "clone failed" after less than 5 mins of running. Does anybody have any suggestions ?

Pretty please ? :P

I prefer to clone and carry 2 sets of hard disk , so if the 1st one has an issue, I just pop & replace with minimum downtime . I'm a previous Thinkpad T61P user , never had any issues whatsoever on cloning hard drives previously !

Gary Cooper
Beginner

Have you tried leaving the source drive in the laptop and moving the target drive to the external USB enclosure. I just did this with my Lenovo T61 and had absolutely no issues at all. I am running Vista not 7.

Jason Lee
Beginner

Gary Cooper wrote:

Have you tried leaving the source drive in the laptop and moving the target drive to the external USB enclosure. I just did this with my Lenovo T61 and had absolutely no issues at all. I am running Vista not 7.

Thanks for your suggestion .

I have tried

A) Source in laptop , Clone in USB
B) Clone in laptop , Source in USB
C) Both A & B with Rescue Disk + Windows 7 environment.

All unsuccessful.

I've been a happy Arconis user for the last 5 years ...till now :(

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Is the hidden partition a truly hidden partition or is it simply the 100mb system reserved partition to which Windows has chosen not to assign a drive letter?

Most certainly, your best chance of success is to use the Rescue CD and I prefer to place the target disk inside the laptop for either cloning or restoring.

Another option that you have is to take a backup of the source drive and include everything (all partitions) inside the backup. This should work for you even though V11 does not support Windows 7.

Then you can use the restore procedure and checkmark the disk option as to what is being restored. When you get to the screen where you choose the target drive, if there is a "Recover Disk signature" option available, checkmark that option so it is included.

Jason Lee
Beginner

GroverH wrote:

Is the hidden partition a truly hidden partition or is it simply the 100mb system reserved partition to which Windows has chosen not to assign a drive letter?

Most certainly, your best chance of success is to use the Rescue CD and I prefer to place the target disk inside the laptop for either cloning or restoring.

Another option that you have is to take a backup of the source drive and include everything (all partitions) inside the backup. This should work for you even though V11 does not support Windows 7.

Then you can use the restore procedure and checkmark the disk option as to what is being restored. When you get to the screen where you choose the target drive, if there is a "Recover Disk signature" option available, checkmark that option so it is included.

GroverH wrote:

I have tried

Firstly, many thanks for taking the time to respond to my 'cry' for assistance . :)

GroverH wrote:

I can read all 3 partitions from within Windows 7 environment . C: contains the normal Windows 7 program + files , D: the recovery partition and E: some bios files. All 3 drives can be seen and read within Windows 7.

GroverH wrote:

I have tried

A) Source in laptop , Clone in USB
B) Clone in laptop , Source in USB
C) Both A & B with Rescue CD and also Windows 7 environment.

ALL shows an error , Disk Clone failed from within Acronis . Both Hard Drives are IDENTICAL seagate model + size.

GroverH wrote:

I underestand that V11 does in fact support ALL versions of Windows 7 , and yes, I'm using the 64 bit version of W7 Home Premium.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/requirements.html

GroverH wrote:

I will try this and report the updates in due course. I understand I will require 3 hard drives to try this ; currently , I only have 2 hard drives , one original & one clone.

Many Thanks again !

Jason Lee
Beginner

Update
---------

I have FINALLY solved the problem !

As I indicated in my original post , my HP source disk drive has 3 partitions , one Windows 7 , one basic drivers & one hidden.

I deleted the Hidden recovery partition , and then tried cloning the source drive again.

This time...Success !

My conclusion is that :

1) Acronis True Image Home 11 cannot clone a hard drive with 3 or more partitions

OR

2) Acronis True Image Home 11 cannot clone a hard drive with a "hidden / recovery " partition

OR

3) I did something wrong along the way ...(maybe..or not )

I offer this feedback to the next poor soul who may encounter similar issues . :)

Ronal Morse
Beginner

Another possibility is that HP writes the recovery partition with a non-standard format or other anti-piracy measure that causes Acronis to see the partition has having a non-recoverable error.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Jason,
One point of information for any future posts. Your link
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/requirements.html
points to version 2011 and yet all your posts refer to version 11.

Version 11 is an old version still in use by many and is several years old.

The new 2011 is called the 2011 version and any reference to it as version 11 will get your wrong answers.

This is an old link(Oct 2009) but note that version 11 is not listed as supporting Win 7 and no new support has been added for any of the older versions.
http://forum.acronis.com/forum/4656#comment-6857