15696: GETTING STARTED: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST!

2 replies [Last post]
Anton
Anton's picture
Forum Star

A. GETTING STARTED

1. I just purchased Acronis Backup and Recovery 10. What steps should I take to use this software?
    a. Register your serial number
    b. Download the latest version from the registration site.
    c. Install the software (an un-install of a prior version may be necessary)
    d. Create new bootable media. Add version, build & serial number to CD label.
    e. Perform a disk option backup which includes all partitions.
    f. Perform some type of test restore from backup file to assure a recovery is possible.

2. Why do I need to create the bootable media recovery CD? When should it be used?

The standalone version (Acronis Bootable Media) of any Acronis backup product is an exclusive recovery environment for restoring images. Additionally, it allows you to create images, clone hard disk drives, partition new hard disk drives without having to boot into Windows. It has the same graphical interface as when you run your copy of an Acronis backup product under Windows. You can also check additional resources available at this link.

3. Why is validation important?

The Backup Archive Validation Wizard checks the compliance of the information that was read from the source drive with the information stored to the backup image. Check this comment for more information.

4. Why should I perform a test restore? Isn't validating the backup sufficient to know that the restore will work when needed?

Validation cannot give you a 100% guarantee that the backup is not corrupt. Performing a test restore will allow you to cover that little percentage not covered by validation.

5. What is the difference between exploring a backup file and mounting a backup?

Mounting a backup is done through the Acronis software and exploring can be done through Windows. You can read more about it here. Please take an additional look at this Knowledge Base article.

6. I am having trouble recovering files in my backup. What other methods can I use to recover just selected files from a backup?

Please check this extensive troubleshooting guide. You can also try restoring files and folders from a disk backup.

7. How do I post about problems that I have?

Provide a detailed description of the issue and the steps taken that lead to it, include  full error message and AcronisInfo report. Keep in mind that technical troubleshooting is not possible on Forums. We can only suggest to try known solutions available. For any troubleshooting you will have to contact our Support Team.

8. How can I contact support?

If immediate assistance is required or you were not able to resolve the problem in the forum, a support case can be created by logging in to Acronis web-account->Get support>Click on the Start Here button->Navigate through the wizard.
Check this link for more detailed instructions.

9. Where can I download the latest build, bootable media and the user guide?

In order to have access to the latest build of the program and the bootable media, please register the software first. After that, you will have access to them from the My Products&Download section in your user account. The user guide is available here.

10. What type of support programs are there for Acronis Backup and Recovery 10 products?

Please check this article for detailed explanation of our support options and features.

11. I am a little bit confused by the licensing policy, what licenses do I need and what to do with them?

Depending on the operating system, you will need an Acronis Backup and Recovery 10 Edition that supports it. Each license is for one machine, please check this detailed guide. This tutorial explains how to use the Acronis License Server, the component you will need to enter your licenses into. Please note, that the License server is used only in Advanced versions of our software. Virtual edition licensing information is available here.

12. I have purchased a support program renewal but this information is not reflected in my Acronis web-account!

Per  Acronis Advantage Support program our Customers do not receive separate serial numbers for Support registration. Our support program is hard coded to the product’s serial number. In case you have made a renewal of the program, you’ll get a license certificate with the order ID and information about expiration date.  To validate the received data on your account, please register your renewal by following the steps described in our KB article.

13. Where can I get information about different versions of Acronis Backup and Recovery 10 and what operating systems are supported?

The list of supported operating systems can be found here and editions list is here.

14. How do I install the latest update (over a previous one)?

To update an advanced version please check this article, for the standalone version you can read here.

Anton Deev

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base and Video Tutorials.

Check our Corporate and Consumer Handbooks and Online Documentation for help on managing your account, products and support.

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Anton
Anton's picture
Forum Star

B. COMMON ISSUES.

1. I am having difficult time installing the program. The installation either rollsback or comes up with an error. What can I do?

First of all, please collect an .msi log and use this article for the most common installation errors and ways to fix them. If you are still having issues, please include the .msi log and AcronisInfo report when you are posting about this problem in the forum. You can also contact our Support team directly with the same logs. Please go through this article as well to make sure the user account under which you are installing the program has the proper rights to do it.

2. Sometimes the scheduled backup fails to run. Is there anything I can do?

Yes, please check this article for instructions.

3. Acronis Backup and Recovery 10 tape support and various tape issues:

a. Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Fails to Recreate Centralized Managed Vault on Tape

b. Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Management Server Fails to Create Centralized Managed Vault on Tape

c. Acronis Products Cannot Access Tape Drives if There Is Symantec's Backup Exec Installed

d. Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Tape Support in Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7

e. Acronis Backup & Recovery 10: Troubleshooting Issues with Tape Devices

4. I try to create a backup plan, but it fails.

You can troubleshoot using the following article.

5. I try to create a backup plan but it fails with this error: "Failed to update the backup plan"

Please check this KB article for more info.

6. I start a backup task but it continues to stay in "waiting" status. What can I do?

It is possible another Acronis task is running. Please use this article for additional details.

7. How can I remove the program completely?

You can use our clean up utility.

8. I would like to schedule e-mail notifications for validation tasks.

Unfortunately it is not possible to do this. We will implement it in the future.

9. Data backups to centralized managed vault are not automatically deleted from disk, what can I do?

Issue in the product, please use the option "Consolidate the backup" for now. Please take a look at this article for additional information.

10. My serial number is not accepted!

There are different ways you can troubleshoot and resolve this issue.

11. My backup fails with this error: "Run list corrupted".

Please use the following solution.

12. Installation of Acronis management server on Windows XP SP2 causes BSOD on SQL Express installation.

You can use this KB article for a solution.

13. When backing up a virtual machine using Acronis Agent for ESX/ESXi (Virtual Appliance) there is the following error - VMware failed to create a quiesced snapshot of the selected virtual machine.

This is a VMware issue. Please check this article for a workaround.

14. When trying to connect to the Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Agent on the local machine the connection fails with the error: Failed to enumerate the WMI class object.

This issue is specific to Windows Server 2008 R2. Please check the following solution.

15. When trying to deploy a policy, it fails with the following error: "Failed to process synchronization data".

This occurs because the agents cannot properly access Acronis Storage Node by DNS name. Please use the following solution.

16. Remote installation errors out with this message: "Specify the name of the machine with Acronis License Server"

The cause of this issue is the incorrect host name resolution on the local machine. Please use the following workaround.

Anton Deev

Check our Corporate and Consumer Handbooks and Online Documentation for help on managing your account, products and support.

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Anton
Anton's picture
Forum Star

C. GENERAL USABILITY.

1. What virtual machines are supported by Acronis?

You can get the list here.

2. Are my backups compatible with other versions of Acronis?

In a way. We guarantee full backwards compatibility with a previous version of Acronis software. However, if a backup was created with a newer build, we do not guarantee that it will be recovered with an older build of the same program. Please check this detailed guide.

3. Can I create backups of my database with Acronis Backup and Recovery 10?

Yes, you can create a partition backup of your hard drive which will have a valid copy of all database transactions at the moment of snapshot creation, provided you follow these steps.

4. How can I get rid of multiple instances of TimounterMonitor.exe, Trueimagemonitor.exe and Schedhlp.exe and why do they run?

Acronis launches these processes for every user who logs on the machine where Acronis software is installed. This can slow down the machine. Please use this guide to make the processes launch only for the current user.

5. Is it possible to backup a domain controller and then restore it?

Yes, it is. General information can be found here. You can also check this article for instructions for backing up and restoring a domain controller and this article for migrating a domain controller to dissimilar hardware.

6. How can I backup to NAS? Can I also backup a NAS?

Yes, you can check the instructions for backing up to NAS here and backing up a NAS here.

7. Can I install Acronis Backup and Recovery 10 from Windows command-line?

Yes, it is possible.

8. What is Acronis Universal Restore, where can I get it and how can I use it?

Acronis Universal Restore is a paid add-on and it can be purchased with Acronis Backup and Recovery 10. You will need to install it and create a bootable CD in order to restore to dissimilar hardware. Please note that this is not a separate product, it will not function without Acronis Backup and Recovery 10.

9. What is the .meta folder and can I delete it?

The .meta folder is used to store information about backups. It is not recommended to delete it. However, you can still recover a backup if you deleted the .meta folder.

10. Creating a backup task, what do I need to do?

There is an illustrated guide that shows the best way to create a backup task. You can also check this article for additional info.

11. Is it possible to import or export backups?

Yes, you can definitely import or export backups.

12. Can I clone disks?

You can clone basic disks in Windows or using the bootable media.

13. I am a little confused. What are archives and what are backups?

A backup is a single unit of "copied data", which is stored in an archive. You can get more information from this article.

14. What is the difference between a backup plan and a backup policy?

Please check this article.

15. Can I create a bootable media with a backup file?

Yes, it is definitely possible.

16. I'd like to create a backup to a removable USB drive.

Please check this article with a couple of different scenarios.

17. Is it possible to install/update the program without rebooting?

It is possible, you can check our recommendations here.

18. What is the best way to optimize deduplication?

We have a few suggestions that are available here.

19. I'd like to know how to schedule backups.

We have an illustrated guide here with a couple of scenarios.

20. How can I give the backup files names that I want instead of for example: MyData_2010_03_26_17_01_38.tib

The latest build of the software allows to create backups using a simplified archive naming scheme.

21. What are retention rules and how can I use them?

Using retention rules you can control the amount of space your backups take. Please check this article for additional information and several examples.

Anton Deev