A. GETTING STARTED
1. I just purchased Acronis Backup and Recovery 10. What steps should I take to use this software?
a. Register your serial number
b. Download the latest version from the registration site.
c. Install the software (an un-install of a prior version may be necessary)
d. Create new bootable media. Add version, build & serial number to CD label.
e. Perform a disk option backup which includes all partitions.
f. Perform some type of test restore from backup file to assure a recovery is possible.
2. Why do I need to create the bootable media recovery CD? When should it be used?
The standalone version (Acronis Bootable Media) of any Acronis backup product is an exclusive recovery environment for restoring images. Additionally, it allows you to create images, clone hard disk drives, partition new hard disk drives without having to boot into Windows. It has the same graphical interface as when you run your copy of an Acronis backup product under Windows. You can also check additional resources available at this link.
3. Why is validation important?
The Backup Archive Validation Wizard checks the compliance of the information that was read from the source drive with the information stored to the backup image. Check this comment for more information.
4. Why should I perform a test restore? Isn't validating the backup sufficient to know that the restore will work when needed?
Validation cannot give you a 100% guarantee that the backup is not corrupt. Performing a test restore will allow you to cover that little percentage not covered by validation.
5. What is the difference between exploring a backup file and mounting a backup?
6. I am having trouble recovering files in my backup. What other methods can I use to recover just selected files from a backup?
7. How do I post about problems that I have?
Provide a detailed description of the issue and the steps taken that lead to it, include full error message and AcronisInfo report. Keep in mind that technical troubleshooting is not possible on Forums. We can only suggest to try known solutions available. For any troubleshooting you will have to contact our Support Team.
8. How can I contact support?
If immediate assistance is required or you were not able to resolve the problem in the forum, a support case can be created by logging in to Acronis web-account->Get support>Click on the Start Here button->Navigate through the wizard.
Check this link for more detailed instructions.
9. Where can I download the latest build, bootable media and the user guide?
In order to have access to the latest build of the program and the bootable media, please register the software first. After that, you will have access to them from the My Products&Download section in your user account. The user guide is available here.
10. What type of support programs are there for Acronis Backup and Recovery 10 products?
Please check this article for detailed explanation of our support options and features.
11. I am a little bit confused by the licensing policy, what licenses do I need and what to do with them?
Depending on the operating system, you will need an Acronis Backup and Recovery 10 Edition that supports it. Each license is for one machine, please check this detailed guide. This tutorial explains how to use the Acronis License Server, the component you will need to enter your licenses into. Please note, that the License server is used only in Advanced versions of our software. Virtual edition licensing information is available here.
12. I have purchased a support program renewal but this information is not reflected in my Acronis web-account!
Per Acronis Advantage Support program our Customers do not receive separate serial numbers for Support registration. Our support program is hard coded to the product’s serial number. In case you have made a renewal of the program, you’ll get a license certificate with the order ID and information about expiration date. To validate the received data on your account, please register your renewal by following the steps described in our KB article.
13. Where can I get information about different versions of Acronis Backup and Recovery 10 and what operating systems are supported?
14. How do I install the latest update (over a previous one)?