22430: Advanced Format 4k (native) and Advanced Format 512e (512b emulation) supported in Home 2011?

2 replies [Last post]
TimH
Beginner

Hi

I have seen article http://kb.acronis.com/content/16200 which suggests Advanced Format 4k (native) drives are supported in TI Home 2011.

However, I want to be very clear on how far "support" goes (using Windows 7 Pro 32-bit SP1). Dell seems to be recommending a few extra steps and I am keen to avoid some if not all of them if TI Home 2011 plugs the gaps !:-

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?...

1. Can I image from 4k (native) to 4k (native) just using TI Home 2011 with no other special tools ?

2. Can I image from 4k (native) to 512e (emulated) just using TI Home 2011 with no other special tools ?

3. Can I image from 512e (emulated) to 4k (native) just using TI Home 2011 with no other special tools ?

4. Can I image from 512e (emulated) to standard 512b (old-style) just using TI Home 2011 with no other special tools ?

5. Can I image from standard 512b (old style) to 4k (native) just using TI Home 2011 with no other special tools ?

6. Can I image from 4k (native) to 512b just using TI Home 2011 with no other special tools ?

Thanks

Tim

Yana
Forum Star

Hello TimH!

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us, I will be glad to address your questions.

Depends on what you mean by imaging.

1. If you mean saving the backup, then it absolutely doesn't matter, as the backup is saved as a file, and the system format in it doesn't interact with the format of the system you're saving the image to.

2. If you mean restoring the image/cloning the drive, then it also doesn't matter as the format of the OS you're restoring/cloning will overwrite the format on the target drive.

Please let me know if something seems confusing, I will be glad to clarify.

Should you have any additional questions with us - don't hesitate to share them, we'll help.

Thank you!

Ray Barbieri
Beginner

Yana,

Your answer is incomplete. The key question is when will Acronis state their product plans for 512e (4K sector) drives.

In the event that you recover an image that was created from a 512K sector drive to a 4K sector drive, you will have 20-30% performance degradation if you do not align the drive.

Similarly, we need an official statement from Acronis for what happens when we recover a 4K sector image to a 4K sector drive. Which products will give errors saying the sector size is unsupported?

What is Acronis recommended action if we try to recover to a 4K sector drive?

For reference, here's a statement that Dell ships with all it's new 512e drive equipped computers:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?...

In the above article, they indicate a 20-30% degradation if you do not align the disk. Furthermore, they indicate that there are cases where you can't even install/upgrade the OS. So, this is a quite serious problem that needs Acronis attention immediately.