23421: Clone Disk Utility Doesn't Work

17 replies [Last post]
Terry Phillips
Beginner

I downloaded and installed Update 2 (build 6868) of Acronis True Image Home 2011 but the Disk Clone utility doesn't work.

After choosing source and destination disks and starting it, it sits on a window that states:

Cloning disk ....

Time remaining:

but nothing happens! The source disk usage was high but no activity on the destination disk (USB) for half an hour before I cancelled it. The log stated the clone was successful (but it wasn't).

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Has anybody else had this problem?

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Are you cloning from the recovery CD? This is highly recommended.

Is your computer a laptop or a desktop?

Win 10 Pro x64 SSD - ATI 2016 Latest build

Terry Phillips
Beginner

I am using a desktop. In former versions of Acronis True Image, I could clone my fixed disk to a USB dock with an identical disk without the need to use a CD. It would lock the system, ask me to reboot and performed the clone after reboot in DOS. It worked extremely well and is good insurance in case the PC gets infected or corrupted and I can't fix it - I merely put the cloned disk in the PC and it's up and running exactly as it was when I made the clone.

How do I clone from a recovery CD? I'm willing to try it but it should work straight from the fixed HDD.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Yes, it should work from the fixed HDD. To troubleshoot it, let's see it it works from the CD. You have to use ATI to create a bootable recovery medium (see the icon in the upper right of ATI's main screen) and boot your computer on it. The choose clone.

If you objective is to protect your computer from malware or disaster, you should simply create a disk and partition backup of your system disk. Such a backup uses the same approach as a clone except that it stores the information "temporarily" in an archive file, instead of copying directly to another disk. The benefit of a backup is that you can update it as you go.

Jean-Paul Adans
Beginner

I have also an issue with cloning the system disk.

I made several attempts and in one case, had the same result than the OP. However, the other attempts go as far as rebooting in "black screen" mode and starting the cloning. At some point (different values of the progress percentage) the system shuts down. Well, actually it's kind of a suspend, because the fans start again when I move the mouse... but nothing else happens. Hard reboot is required.

The last message in the log file says "Rebooting windows. The operations will be performed before the system starts".

Just to make sure, I tried to boot from the cloned disk, which failed...

Win7 Ultimate 64 Bits.
ATIH 2011 Update 2 Build 6868

Any idea what to look for to diagnose this? Many thanks!

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Try to clone from the Acronis recovery CD, not from Windows.

Terry Phillips
Beginner

Pat L

I'm pleased to report that the disk cloned successfully from the recovery CD. The only problem was that exiting ATI from the CD started an endless loop of loading ATI again from the CD and then, while I could move the cursor over to the computer shut down button at the bottom left of the screen, I couldn't figure out how "click" on the button to turn it off using the keyboard. Pressing Enter didn't work.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Once the clone is complete, you can safely shut down the computer. Remember to remove one of the disks (source or clone) before rebooting on the disk you want to keep.

James Pyles
Beginner

So far I am very unhappy with this product.

I also have been trying, with no success to clone the drive with my Windows 7 Professional 64 from a smaller to a larger SATA drive. I go through the wizard, select the source and destination drives and start the process. A notice appears saying the process is started but a few seconds later, another notice appears saying it has been paused and requires a reboot within 10 minutes or the process will fail. I reboot successfully, but nothing happens. I've tried both the automatic and manual process with the same result.

I tried to create a bootable CD but when I get to the part asking me to select a drive, the DVD drive is missing.

Frankly, what seems like it should be an easy process has become very frustrating.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

If you have paid for your full license, you can register your license number in your account on Acronis.com and get to your download area. There, you will have access to a bootable image. This is an ISO file that you can burn directly to your CD. This will create the same CD you would create using ATI.

James Pyles
Beginner

@Pat L: Yes, I do have a full license. Would it be possible to just create the recovery "disc" on a USB drive and then boot from the USB drive? What's the minimum size requirement?

James Pyles
Beginner

Pat L said: [i]If you have paid for your full license, you can register your license number in your account on Acronis.com and get to your download area. There, you will have access to a bootable image. This is an ISO file that you can burn directly to your CD. This will create the same CD you would create using ATI.[/i]

I assume you mean on the "My Account" page, opening the "My Products & Downloads" section, clicking "Expand all" and the, under "Product native bootable media" (build 6868 in this case), clicking "Download".

OK, I've done that, but I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to give it a try.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

James,

You could use a USB spin drive (not flash drive), with the ISO you download and the Grub4ISO here: http://themudcrab.com/acronis_grub4dos.php

You can also use the ATI program to create a bootable USB flash drive (not spin drive).

James Pyles
Beginner

Well, the good news is that I finally managed to successfully clone the hard drive. The bad news is that it wasn't easy or straightforward, and the Acronis True Image documentation didn't help at all. Since I'm a technical writer and blogger, I posted a full review of my experiences: Cloning a Hard Drive with Acronis True Image Home 2011. Sorry to be less than generous, but cloning a hard drive shouldn't have been this much of a chore, particularly if your documentation had been up to snuff.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Legend

James,
I'm glad you were successful although it did not come easy. I don't believe anyone could disagree that the process should have been easier. Had you seen my guides (left margin useful link), you may have found item 3-CC helpful as well as several other adjacent index links.

The use of "Add Disk" is not a requirement when cloning to a new disk but often times its utilization can be helpful--especially if the disk has prior partition information which is best if removed. In general, using the "Add disk" option to delete prior partiion information is a good rule to follow but there are exceptions where its use is not necessary. For example, formatting a new disk is not necessary for cloning (or restoring) by TrueImage but should the user choose to use Windows-7 to create a first partition (without formatting), the use of "Add Disk" would not be necessary. This prior partiton creation inside Win7 is not unusual especially when the user is wanting to make sure the first partition starting sector is correct such as for the new SSD disks. The "Add Disk" is more of a supplement rather than a requirement--but it depends upon the situation.

If you look inside my signature index below, you will see a variety of guides of which I have created over a period of time. I am not a technical writer (as you can tell) but like you, I felt there was need for more guides and more detailed guides. One dileamma I always face when creating any of my guides is "when is the information either too little or too much." How much detail does the user already have or how much do I have to provide. Will an general overview suffice or do I need to dot every i and cross every t.

Over a period of time, the volunteer contributors that post on this forum would recommend that any clone be done when booted from the TI Bootable Media Recovery CD. However, many would recommend that a clone not be done (risk factor) but would recommend that a backup be done of the old disk and that backup be restored to the the new disk to create the replication. When cloning, there is the risk factor such as a power problem, a software malfunction or a mistake by the user. Any of these happenings can cause loss of the master and such instances have been posted on the forum. Thus, the safer replication is the backup and restore method which does not place any risk on the source as it is not attached. If the user has the proper prior backups, then they have the choice of choosing either method of replication because they have a "fall back" plan if something goes wrong should there be a cloning malfunction.

Acronis has made a concerted effort to improve their support and their documentation--both on the forum and at their support website and improvement is noticeable--to those who frequent the forum.

I read your blog and I believe others could find your documentation helpful.

Should you decide to create your own "how to" guide, mine have been welcome and I would imagine that yours would be welcome as well.

Grovers status = Inactive    1. Grover's New Revised Guides    4.  2014 Cleanup    2015 Cleanup    5. Attachments/How   7. TI 2015 FAQ.
2. Create BKU Tasks >   2011_2012_2013    2A. Using 2014    6.  Help  2016  2015 2014  2013       8.  Stop Scan for Backups   8A.  ATIH Video's
3.  Create new disks-Guides.    9.  Register/Downloads     10.  Mustang's New Guides   11.  Les Seiler's Backup Video

James Pyles
Beginner

Thanks for the well considered reply, GroverH.

GroverH wrote:

Should you decide to create your own "how to" guide, mine have been welcome and I would imagine that yours would be welcome as well.

Are you suggesting that I write an "How To" article and somehow submit it to Acronis?

In any event, while the documentation that would have made my experience more positive does seem to exist, it's also not particularly easy to find. I was relying on the "official" documentation when doing the disk cloning and didn't anticipate having to consult with other, third-party sources. I only came to the forum once I started experiencing problems. That said, all's well that ends well.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

James,

You could post your how-to as a new forum topic.

John Wilson
Beginner

With Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate I found the manual quite helpful. Had problems until I read it (RTFMS). Install the blank new HDD in the PC and the original disk external. Boot from the bootable ATI CD that other posters talk about. Worked like a charm.

Wouldn't work at all until I did this. Kept booting to Windows.