25687: usb drive not recognized in Vista AFTER cloning

6 replies [Last post]
JT
JT's picture
Beginner

I am running Vista 32bit and ATIH 2010 on a desktop.
I had a 160GB sata internal main hard drive that was getting low on space.
I have a 1TB hard drive in the usb port for backing up my main drive.

I installed a new 1TB sata internal hard drive to be my new main drive.
I formatted it and it works fine.
I then cloned my original drive on to the new drive.
I did not use my ATIH CD, I did the clone from Vista.
(I did forget to unplug the usb drive while I was cloning)

The clone of the hard drive worked perfectly.
When it finished the procedure and shut down, I just turned the system back on and it booted up on my new larger drive. (I did not realize that I should have unplugged my old drive before I turned on the system)

My old drive did not show up in Windows Explorer which I thought was normal and I will format it later anyway.
The real problem is that the USB backup drive does not show up in Windows Explorer either.
I plugged in a usb thumb drive but it doesn’t show up either.

They both are partially recognized by Windows because I get an audio sound when plugged in and they both appear in Disk Management as removable drives.
I updated their drivers, uninstalled and re-installed their drivers but they will not appear in Windows Explorer so that I can use them.

I did plug both drive into my laptop and they came up as they should so there is nothing wrong with the drives but something happened to my usb ports on my desktop computer during the cloning process. (although my usb printer is working fine)

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thank you all for your help!

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Are drive letters being assigned to the partitions on the old drive and the USB drive? Are the drives online? You can check this in Disk Management.

Can you post a screenshot of what Disk Management shows for the drives? It would help to see it since there may be problems because of how you did the cloning.

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

JT
JT's picture
Beginner

I cannot assign drive letters without getting an error message.(see screenshot)
The drives do show as being ONLINE.
My old SATA drive is disconnected and I am only concerned with the usb drives at this time.
I plugged in both usb drives and made a Word document with the screenshots which is attached.

Thank you MudCrab

AttachmentSize
atih_clone_usb_problem_screenshots.doc 184 KB
GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Neither Disk 1 or Disk 2 shows a file system--usually indicating they have never been formatted. disk 0 shows NTFS and is your system disk.

JT
JT's picture
Beginner

That is correct GroverH.
Yet when I plug both drives into my laptop, they work perfectly.

They were both formatted on my desktop years ago and have been working great until I did the clone of my main (C:) drive just the other day.
I had only the 1TB external drive plugged in while cloning.
I think now that maybe I should have unplugged this drive while cloning but I don't know why???
The cloning instructions did not say anything about this being a problem.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

What version of Windows or utility created the original partitions on the two disks not showing a file system?

Is it possible to show a screen capture of how they look in the laptop and what version of Windows is in the laptop?

Do you have any partitioning utilities that you could look at the partition type? This may be a wild goose chain as I really do not know the cause and just barnstorming ideas.

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

You could try the the following as it's been reported to help in this situation. I'm not sure exactly what causes the problem.

1. Boot into Windows.
  2. Start an Administrator Command Prompt.
  3. Run diskpart.
  4. From the DISKPART prompt, run automount. You should get the status back. If it's not enabled, run automount enable to turn it on.
  5. Open Device Manager.
  6. Browse to the Disk drives section and find the problem drives. For each drive, right-click and select Properties. Then select the Driver tab and click the Uninstall button to uninstall the driver.
  7. Restart Windows.

If this doesn't work there may be a something else that will. There is very likely nothing wrong with the drives or partitions themselves.

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.