26216: How Do You Delete Backups From Within Acronis True Image Home 10.0?

5 replies [Last post]
Steve Burgess
Beginner

I've used ATIH 10.0 for several years now - and recently reverted to it after some issues with ATIH 2011 (see http://forum.acronis.com/forum/23864).

I only ever perform full backups of my laptop's complete hard drive (including the two Dell partitions) and as I don't have a massive USB hard drive, manually delete the oldest backup to create space for the latest.

I do this using Windows Explorer as I've never found a way of deleting backups (as opposed to backup locations - which it appears you can delete) from within ATIH 10.0 - which strikes me as odd. Anyone know if this is possible, and if so, how?

Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Steve:

Version 10 is my favorite also. It does the basic imaging functions well without all of the buggy bells and whistles of the newer versions of TI.

You can delete backups from within the Windows version of TI 10, build 4942, from either the Backup or the Recovery wizard screens. Navigate to the backups and then right-click on the one that you want to delete, then choose "delete" from the right-click menu.

The Linux-based TI 10 boot CD does not appear to offer a way to delete files, however, unless your boot CD also contains Disk Director 10, which will allow file deletions.

Acronis TI 10, TI 2011, TI 2013, DD 10, DD 11 user
Amateur Radio K0LO

Steve Burgess
Beginner

Thanks Mark

When I bought ATIH 10.0 I printed out and read through the instructions noting that, for most operations, it was important to navigate through "Backup Locations" in the tree, rather than go direct to the external drive itself under "My Computer".

I tried both the Backup and Recovery wizards you mentioned. With the former there wasn't the option to open the backup location drive in order to see a list of the actual backups; with the latter when I could see the individual backups, right-clicking had no effect.

From this, I guess you meant to go through the "My Computer" route and it is then possible to right-click to delete the chosen backup - although I noted the tree didn't automatically update to reflect the deletion (as Windows Explorer does).

I've checked again - there's no mention of deleting backups in the instructions for ATIH 10.0; what you've lead me to will save a bit of time but I guess there just isn't an explicit delete backup command in ATIH 10.0.

Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Steve:

I've never used the "Backup Locations" feature in TI 10 so I wasn't aware of its limitations. When I tested this before posting I was navigating through the "My Computer" route to a mapped drive on another PC on the network where I store backups. You are correct - there isn't an explicit delete command built into the User Interface (UI) in TI 10. But thank goodness for small favors - the delete commands in TI 2011 are dangerous - it's too easy to delete a backup when your intention is just to remove it from the list of backups in the UI.

Acronis TI 10, TI 2011, TI 2013, DD 10, DD 11 user
Amateur Radio K0LO

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

ATI 10 did not have an internal database to keep track of backups. Instead, when the program ran a backup to a backup location, it looked at that Backup Location for the configuration file, which contained the rules for that backup task. You had to make the Backup Locatin and set the rules before you backued up to that location for the rules to be observed -- makes sense. You could delete or move or copy backups to your heart's content using windows explorer and ati 10 did not mind.

ATI 2010 is an entirely different story, it was the second version to not use Backup Locations with config files but to maintain an internal database of backups. You should only delete backups from within ati or the database will become confused. Subsequent versions are use an internal database. For example, if you want to delete a task but not the backups in ati2012, you should move the backups to another location first and then delete the task. IF you reload ati it will search for and find the moved backups and assign them to one or more new tasks, so be careful not to delete those if you want to keep the backups. It can get confusing and yes it's easy to delete your backups files when you only want to dete a task that's gone wonky.

Be part of the discussion; Post your objective product views on Amazon and other sites.
Reading works. Get the User Guide at http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/

Steve Burgess
Beginner

Should I bother trying ATIH 2011 again (see http://forum.acronis.com/forum/23864) I'm now asking myself?

I've been using ATIH 10.0 (build 4942) again for a few months after a brief and unsatisfactory dalliance with ATIH 2011 (GBP 19.99 at Argos for a while, earlier this year). My spare Dell Inspiron 1300 is checked once a month by using it for an evening's surfing having cloned the main 1300's laptop HDD from the previous Monday's full image backup (C, the two Dell partitions and the Master Boot Record - must find out what the MBR does).

I'm happy that I have software backup in place and, now, hardware backup ready-to-go in the event of a hardware failure of the main laptop. I found the spare 1300 on eBay for GBP 55 - it needed a bit of work (eg a new lid open/close switch) and I took the opportunity to strip it down, get familiar with its construction and give it a good clean.