27515: Backup Validation

10 replies [Last post]
George Eilers
Beginner
Send PM: Send PM

I cannot find a way to validate any but the latest backup version. Selecting a specific previous backup from the backup explorer, right clicking on it, and selecting validate always validates the latest version, not the selected one. The user manual does not provide any other way to validate a previous backup that the one just described.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Legend

When boting from the TI bootable CD,

Within Windows,If the task is visible which created thr backup file, editing the task offers a right click validation option as an option.
Or inside the program, you can browse to the tib file and use the "add to list" option. Once it shows inside the task, you can then validate the file from within Windows as below.

Grovers status = Inactive    1. Grover's New Revised Guides    4.  2014 Cleanup    2015 Cleanup    5. Attachments/How   7. TI 2015 FAQ.
2. Create BKU Tasks >   2011_2012_2013    2A. Using 2014    6.  Help  2016  2015 2014  2013       8.  Stop Scan for Backups   8A.  ATIH Video's
3.  Create new disks-Guides.    9.  Register/Downloads     10.  Mustang's New Guides   11.  Les Seiler's Backup Video

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

You should also be able to use windows explorer to navigate to the file, right-click it and select "Validate."

Be part of the discussion; Post your objective product views on Amazon and other sites. Reading works. Get the User Guide at http://www.acronis.com/en-us/support/documentation/

George Eilers
Beginner

I have tried both methods on TIH 2012. In each case, the ATH screen says, "Validating

", not to the archive tlb file selected for validation. The log indicates the same. I now believe this is a bug that was introduced in the TIH 2012 version as I never had this problem before. How can I raise the the level of concern about this at Acronis? In other respects, TIH has proven to be pretty solid.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Legend

You have me curious. I will try try to test.

Grovers status = Inactive    1. Grover's New Revised Guides    4.  2014 Cleanup    2015 Cleanup    5. Attachments/How   7. TI 2015 FAQ.
2. Create BKU Tasks >   2011_2012_2013    2A. Using 2014    6.  Help  2016  2015 2014  2013       8.  Stop Scan for Backups   8A.  ATIH Video's
3.  Create new disks-Guides.    9.  Register/Downloads     10.  Mustang's New Guides   11.  Les Seiler's Backup Video

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

George, you are correct. This is a bug or nonsensical behavior.

Win 10 Pro x64 SSD - ATI 2016 Latest build

RayG
Frequent Poster

This is where the log files do not indicate ALL the files that are opened and validated as part of a backup set. If the logging was better this would be more obvious.

--
Regards

RayG

George Eilers
Beginner

I have reverted to ATIH 2011, and everything is working okay again. Good thing I saved the 2011 serial number. I have not tried restoring from an ATIH 2012 backup set using ATIH 2011, so can't say if it will work. The Acronis support team assures me they are working on it, but this has eroded my confidence in Acronis software. This was not an obscure bug, and it should have been caught by any minimal QA regression test. Gives me pause to think that my entire system integrity depends on Acronis' apparently sloppy development process. Adding insult to injury, Acronis made me pay for a support incident to tell them about their bug!

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

The database, which ati uses to decide what databases exists fro operatiton, has been a source of problems since its inception in ati 2000 series. Imo, acronis should not charge you for a problem that is the result of a bug and I would ask customer service to refund that charge. Don't know if it will do any good, but it would be fair and just.

Be part of the discussion; Post your objective product views on Amazon and other sites. Reading works. Get the User Guide at http://www.acronis.com/en-us/support/documentation/

George Eilers
Beginner

ATIH 2011 is still a solid application, and I will continue to use it in place of ATIH 2012 until Acronis fixes its validation problem. I have seen no other problems with ATIH 2012, but the validation of a selected prior version before attempting restoration is a critical feature that I cannot do without.

I can say from experience that ATIH 2011 is still far better than using Norton Ghost with a network storage device. I use a Linux file server for backup storage. It has always worked great with ATIH 2011. Not so good with Ghost.

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

gosh, you should been here last year ;)

ATI2012 somewhat improves upon ati2011's tendency to orphan backups, especially if you edit a task or run it manually bwetqween scheduled runs. A number of ati2011's faults are inherited by ati2012. It avoids some and adds a few new ones. This it typical of ati releases.

The current version is usually the one raising the most posts and garnering the harshest criticism. somehow versions seem to sweeten in memory.